Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcdamascenojr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Hi,

I've just bought a Mac mini and now I'm looking for a display to use with it (no, I'm not in the wrong forum ;P). After a bit of reading I've decided to go for a Dell Ultrasharp, either the U2212HM or the U2312HM (only difference being 1.5" between them). Since the 21.5" has the same size and DPI as the smaller iMac, I came here to know what you think about yours.

My question is: considering sitting at arms-lenght distance from it, do you find it confortable for long-time reading? Do you think it's too choppy or crispy enough? Would you wish everything (mainly text) was just a tiny bigger? Do find yourself using zoom constantly?

I know the 21.5" will be crispier. I'm just worried that everything will be too small to read confortably. My current 15" notebook has a DPI of ~98, which I find just right considering text size, but wish it was a bit crispier. (although I sit a bit closer, maybe 1.5' from it)

Thnaks!

PS: no, I don't want a Thunderbolt Display! ;P

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I have the 2011 21.5"iMac and I sit/stand about 1.5 to 2 feet away from it. No problems reading on it at all. It was a wonderfully big screen to me when I first got it, coming from 17" iMac, but I wish now I could have gotten the 27" screen just to have more room on screen for other windows.

jcdamascenojr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
I have the 2011 21.5"iMac and I sit/stand about 1.5 to 2 feet away from it. No problems reading on it at all. It was a wonderfully big screen to me when I first got it, coming from 17" iMac, but I wish now I could have gotten the 27" screen just to have more room on screen for other windows.

Thanks, anyone else?

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
Mate not sure if it does help, I have at work a 21.5 inches dell P2211H display (1920*1080) and I don't fell the need to zoom or anything.

The distance is at arm lenght and I wear glasses as I am shortsighed... :p

jcdamascenojr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Mate not sure if it does help, I have at work a 21.5 inches dell P2211H display (1920*1080) and I don't fell the need to zoom or anything.

The distance is at arm lenght and I wear glasses as I am shortsighed... :p

It sure does help, thanks! I guess I'll probably go with the 21.5" one, since it's also cheaper...

Last edited:

davisac

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
I'm on the computer most of the day and I don't have any problem IMO with a 23" 1080p (dpi ~96) monitor at arms length.

Used to use MBP @ ~110 dpi fyi.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I'm curious about this as well. I'm on my 20" 2007 iMac and my eyes get tired trying to focus on the blurred pixels (99 ppi, i just looked it up). I'm curious as to what kind of monitor to get for my soon-to-be upgrade. Thanks all for the replies.

jcdamascenojr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
I'm curious about this as well. I'm on my 20" 2007 iMac and my eyes get tired trying to focus on the blurred pixels (99 ppi, i just looked it up). I'm curious as to what kind of monitor to get for my soon-to-be upgrade. Thanks all for the replies.

Since you find 99 to be blurry your best bet would be an 27" at 2560x1440 (~108 dpi), since I'm not aware of anything smaller with higher resolution than 1080p. Or wait for Retina in a couple years.

So guys, don't be shy, I'm going to buy it this week and the more opinions the better! Keep coming! :D

Edit: wait, if blurry means too small text, then also get an 27", but a 1080p one. Or any smaller one with 1366x768 or something...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.