Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hi all
What's the best way to remove items such as dirt or chocolate that may have got trapped on the back of the iPhone. I am talking about between the little gap where the glass meets the aluminium at the top of the iPhone where the horizontal line is. I think I may have accidentley smudged a little chocolate there I don't see it anymore tried taking out as much as I can. But don't want it to end up melting one day and ending up making the phone liquid damage.

jkauff

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
I'd try compressed air first. If there's something wedged in there, use something like the edge of a 3x5 index card or a Post-It note that won't scratch the case.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Compressed air first. Take a paint brush and cut the bristles off so they are about 1" long-makes them stiffer. Gently brush while someone is using compressed air.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Compressed air first. Take a paint brush and cut the bristles off so they are about 1" long-makes them stiffer. Gently brush while someone is using compressed air.

thanks guys will need to buy a compressed air can to try that. However what my worry is, if there is something where that horizonal line is under the camera at the back, is can something go into the back of the phone, like through the back plate to the internals of the phone. i have looked at ifixit etc. i dont see if the horizonal line on the back, if anything can go through it into the phone, or if anything does go into the back, it just gets wedged in there, and not go into the phone, from the back if you know what i mean. sorry if my post sounds confusing.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I simply toss mine into the dishwasher on the pots/pans cycle to give it a good solid cleaning.

This!

Haha no, compressed air as others have said, then a bit of alcohol on a swab. Really depends on what you're cleaning though. Cohcolate should need a bit of claing with alcohol for example.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
How on earth do you manage to get CHOCOLATE in your phone! :eek:

em a little bit of chocolate fell just above the apple logo on the back of my iphone 5. I wiped it with a little piece of paper, however while wiping it, i accidently let some go into the area, where the horizonal line is above the apple logo and where the camera lense is. So it seems some chocolate went where the horizontal line is. So I have tried using a card etc, to scoop it out. Its very little that may have gone in. But dont want the chocolate eventually melting and going deeper into the phone. however I believe where the horizontal line is, that its just a little gap, so therefore it does not end up going into the other end of the phone. if that made any sense :confused:

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Chocolate aint gonna get in and cause WATER damage... :confused:

Not water damage but chocolate can melt though and turn into a liquid form and if it goes in. It may affect the internal circuits of the phone and set off the liquid indicator?

Abarth1200

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I think your being a little paranoid imo, blue tac is good at getting dirt out of tight spots

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.