Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayp92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
I done the jailbreak fine, no problems what so ever, even managed to brows the Cydia store before it went down....then I made the mistake of showing my dad the jailbreak, who, inadvertenly started the OTA iOS 6.1 update (please don't ask how, I've been asking him the same question for hours now!)......and now I'm running a (bricked) iOS 6.01 on iPhone 5

DevTeam tool's don't seem to be compatible yet and iTunes won't let me restore because it knows I jailbroke (unsuccessfully)

any ideas to try and get my phone back on?

thank! :)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It isn't bricked. You can't brick an iPhone 5. Nor will the OTA update start on a jailbroken iDevice. Put it into DFU mode and restore it.

Nimravus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
Can't you just manually put it into DFU mode then sync with iTunes to restore it to 6.1 and then restore from Backup, then JB?

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
Huh? It's virtually impossible to "brick" an iPhone. Also, upgrading would not "brick" your phone as your say. All it would do, is put it back to stock. I have no idea what you're saying.

Nimravus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
Huh? It's virtually impossible to "brick" an iPhone. Also, upgrading would not "brick" your phone as your say. All it would do, is put it back to stock. I have no idea what you're saying.

I think he JB on 6.01 then did an OTA update to 6.1 which would at some point just freeze, probably on a black screen. "Brick" to him probably means phone is currently stuck. At this point you can t just plug into iTunes. He would have to put it into DFU mode then do it. Maybe he didn't know?

I was a newbie once too. :)

jayp92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
It isn't bricked. You can't brick an iPhone 5. Nor will the OTA update start on a jailbroken iDevice. Put it into DFU mode and restore it.

okay! not bricked! but it feels that way

The OTA started on the phone, restarted and then I was faced with the Apple logo, followed by the iTunes icon

I've tried restoring it, problem is that iTunes now stops you restoring/updating with a jailbroken device, the only way I can think of to install the IPSW is with something like RedSn0w (which is not compatible with iOS 6.x)

----------

and yes, I've tried restoring in DFU mode

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

The OTA started on the phone, restarted and then I was faced with the Apple logo, followed by the iTunes icon

I've tried restoring it, problem is that iTunes now stops you restoring/updating with a jailbroken device, the only way I can think of to install the IPSW is with something like RedSn0w (which is not compatible with iOS 6.x)

The OTA update doesn't go through and the device restarts stating the update failed. iTunes never has and currently does not prevent restoring or updating if the device is jailbroken. Put it into DFU mode and restore.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

----------

and yes, I've tried restoring in DFU mode

iTunes has never not let you restore if the device is jailbroken.

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
I done the jailbreak fine, no problems what so ever, even managed to brows the Cydia store before it went down....then I made the mistake of showing my dad the jailbreak, who, inadvertenly started the OTA iOS 6.1 update (please don't ask how, I've been asking him the same question for hours now!)......and now I'm running a (bricked) iOS 6.01 on iPhone 5

DevTeam tool's don't seem to be compatible yet and iTunes won't let me restore because it knows I jailbroke (unsuccessfully)

Any reason why you used the jailbreak on 6.0.1 anyway? you should always upgrade to the latest jailbreakable firmware before attempting to jailbreak anyways.

jayp92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
HA! I've very annoyed now!
For hours my iTunes has been giving me the exact same error codes on both my Mac & PC (the error code on the Apple website says it's because the device has been jailbroken)

Now that I tried it to take a screen shot, it works fine

....problem solved now :D

----------

Any reason why you used the jailbreak on 6.0.1 anyway? you should always upgrade to the latest jailbreakable firmware before attempting to jailbreak anyways.

stupidity and impatience tbh (1hour to download the update files!)
I held off before incase iOS 6.1 wasn't combatible, then...I just kept forgetting, until it was D-Day haha

MGTR420

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Okay so my friend decided he no longer wanted a jailbroken iPhone and we tried putting it in to DFU mode and restoring it, but he keeps receiving the error #1604...any ideas?

Edit: Guess restarting the computer fixed it

Last edited:

jayp92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Wrong how? Do you have documentation of this? I've never ran into this issue. a DFU restore has always worked.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

look under the "Check Security Settings" bit

If you have installed software to perform unauthorized modifications to your iOS device, that software may have redirected connections to the update server (gs.apple.com) within the Hosts file. You may receive an error 1004, 1013, 3194, or "This device is not eligible for the requested build" in this circumstance.

It was the "This device is not eligible for the requested build" error I kept getting whilst trying to restore (even in DFU mode)

I have no idea what changed between the numerous failed attempts and the one good one...just leaving it down to "one of those things:

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

look under the "Check Security Settings" bit

If you have installed software to perform unauthorized modifications to your iOS device, that software may have redirected connections to the update server (gs.apple.com) within the Hosts file. You may receive an error 1004, 1013, 3194, or "This device is not eligible for the requested build" in this circumstance.

It was the "This device is not eligible for the requested build" error I kept getting whilst trying to restore (even in DFU mode)

I have no idea what changed between the numerous failed attempts and the one good one...just leaving it down to "one of those things:

That's an easy fix: modifying your hosts file. Typically you'll never need to unless you monkey with TinyUmbrella. Google this method and it should be relatively simple if this issue pops up for you again.

EDIT: To supplement what I wrote above, here's some advice: List the errors you get as you get them. This will help us further understand your problem and we can offer methods to fix them accordingly. Just posting "iTunes won't restore my bricked device because I jailbroke it" doesn't really help us diagnose the problem you had.

jayp92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
That's an easy fix: modifying your hosts file. Typically you'll never need to unless you monkey with TinyUmbrella. Google this method and it should be relatively simple if this issue pops up for you again.

EDIT: To supplement what I wrote above, here's some advice: List the errors you get as you get them. This will help us further understand your problem and we can offer methods to fix them accordingly. Just posting "iTunes won't restore my bricked device because I jailbroke it" doesn't really help us diagnose the problem you had.

First time I've ever had to ask for advice! spent age's Googling, I "fixed" the host files and that still didn't work, went it circles for ages! at the point of posting I had so much racked up in Chrome's history!

Next time I'm just going to write down the error codes, even if I don't post, it will just save so much time looking through the history!

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
First time I've ever had to ask for advice! spent age's Googling, I "fixed" the host files and that still didn't work, went it circles for ages! at the point of posting I had so much racked up in Chrome's history!

Next time I'm just going to write down the error codes, even if I don't post, it will just save so much time looking through the history!

Indeed. Also just searching for the error codes you get within this forum will lead you to tons of other threads with people having the same problem.

XweAponX

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2008

What the other guy said - Put it in DFU and restore. Maybe you can just hit "restore" in iTunes. Yah, I bricked my original iPhone by trying an OTA updowndate. I should have tried a restore... But the guy at the apple store gave me a new phone even though he knew it had been jailbroken.

HA! I've very annoyed now!
For hours my iTunes has been giving me the exact same error codes on both my Mac & PC (the error code on the Apple website says it's because the device has been jailbroken)

WHAAAAT? I've never heard of that happening. I just hit "Restore" and set it up as a new phone. It did take abotu 10 minutes for my carrier to be detected.

Then after I jailbroke it, it took another 10 minyes for trhe spring carrier to come back - But I had Voice Roaming turned on, iOS 6 set it that way and you cant use roaming at all on Sprint.

jayp92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Indeed. Also just searching for the error codes you get within this forum will lead you to tons of other threads with people having the same problem.

In my defence, I tried that too :D

I'm never touching the computer for anything more advance then Microsoft Word when I've not slept in two days haha, thanks for the support anyways (Y)

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
check to see your host file isnt blocking apple at the bottle. my 5 was doing that and gave me the same message. took it out and it restored fine.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
And the rash of so called 'bricked' devices from the new jb begin. Sigh. A separate thread no less. The jb site should require people to correctly answer a few basic jb questions before beginning the download.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Sounds like you forgot to delete Cydias IP address in the iTunes syshosts file. Delete that last IP address in there, save it and then try the DFU
Mode restore again.

I find I have to do that all the time now when restoring my 4S from a JB to an official iOS.

Note: make sure you uncheck it as a read-only file and then open it with admin status.

----------

I posted this last summer for people having the same issue:

Make sure hosts file isn't set to use cydia as the apple update server

This fixed my problem.

You go into the iTunes syshost file, open it with a text editor and delete the IP address for CYDIA at the very end.

(I didn't even put Apple's IP in there - iTunes does it automatically if it doesn't see any other address)

Save it, close out and then run the restore or upgrade. Should work then.

I don't recall the exact directory of the file though - different OS's have different locations for it. And it was in a hidden file too - show make sure you show hidden files when looking for it.

I think it's something like in here:

C:\Windows\System32\ drivers\etc\hosts

Depending on your Windows OS. (Not sure about Mac OS)

EDIT: It'll look something liek this in a Text editor (Open with WordPad)

A standard Windows hosts file should look something like this -

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

---If you see an IP address at the bottom there with CYDIA or SAURIK in it, delete that whole line and re-save the file. Don't change anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.