Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Mileman2011
macrumors newbie

Finder Jumps to Top of Page

I'm using OS X 10.7.5 on an iMac

I just got off the phone with Apple Customer Support, and they were as stumped as I am by this.

The problem: When I am using Finder, List View, and I open a folder which has lots of files, when I try to scroll down the screen to see them, the Finder jumps me back up to the top of the screen.

This happens both when I'm scrolling using the mouse, or when I'm using the scrollbars. So I'm unable to view the files at the bottom of the page for more than a second or two. The arrange button is on "None".

Could some other Preference setting be causing this?

Thanks for any help.

Ted

Last edited by dejo; Feb 4, 2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Simulated signature.
Mileman2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:59 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mileman2011 View Post
The problem: When I am using Finder, List View, and I open a folder which has lots of files, when I try to scroll down the screen to see them, the Finder jumps me back up to the top of the screen.
Have you tried restarting your Mac? That's a basic first step in troubleshooting.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Mileman2011
macrumors newbie

I should have said that this has been happening for several weeks, and rebooting has had no effect.
Mileman2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Supermacguy
macrumors member

I posted a bug report about something similar when copying files, and the response was "duplicate of known bug".
Are you sure you don't have list set to sort by date modified, or you're not in "real list" mode but "all files mode" that are sorted by name?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Ensor13
macrumors newbie

Jumping folders in List view

I've got the same, very annoying, problem--or if not the same, very similar.

I'm running 10.8.2 on a MacBook Pro Retina. I use List View, and in the finder view options, Arrange by: None.

Here's the hitch: I open the primary Documents folder, in which I have 16 sub-folders, each containing many other sub-sub folders. If I open a succession of sub-folders in search of a particular file, the view suddenly jumps back to the top of the Documents window rather than remaining on the last folder I opened. To find the folder I just opened, I have to scroll down through a succession of already opened folders. It's both disorienting and time-wasting.

I don't recall this ever happening on earlier iterations of OSX. Any fix for this yet?
Ensor13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:26 PM   #6
avava
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down Finder jumps to top of page

I have had this problem ever since I have owned the mac, which has been a few years. Extremely annoying, to the point that I hate the mac and the most recent machine I bought was a PC (windows laptop). If anyone finds a solution, please let me know, as this issue makes this machine basically useless in terms of storing and finding files. Rebooting has nothing to do with it. I have not changed any Finder settings.

I am amazed that Mac support is not more interested in this problem as per the previous posts. I thought customer support and customer experience were supposed to be Apple's big strong points?

I have a MacBook, Mac OS X 10.6.8.
avava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Tyblack32310
macrumors newbie

This works for me

Choose one......Name or Kind and i think it unlocks it. I have been stumped by this for years until just now. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-12-08 at 4.36.23 PM.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	450893  
Tyblack32310 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion