Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 9, 2005, 08:51 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

iPod nano 4 Gb Black or White for only $224 plus free shipp...

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: iPod nano 4 Gb Black or White
for only $224 plus free shipping

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 9, 2005, 09:17 PM   #2
jimsowden
macrumors 68000

Disapproved by jimsowden.

Looks pretty damn shady.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 09:27 PM   #3
Aaon
macrumors 6502

This looks pretty sketchy to me. Nobody has a discount on the nano, so I have my doubts...
Old Oct 10, 2005, 07:40 AM   #4
ipacmm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ipacmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaon
This looks pretty sketchy to me. Nobody has a discount on the nano, so I have my doubts...

I agree...they are also selling Table's and scroll bookends...kind of odd that they are selling a new Nano.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 09:40 AM   #5
FrankA
macrumors newbie

legit

Wow, I believe a healthy dose of skepticism is a good thing when buying anything over the internet.
My name is Frank Aubuchon and I am the owner of www.giveyourselfagift.com
We have been in business for a year selling mostly house and garden items. In the past several months we began selling photographic art and recently added the Ipods to get into the electronic market as well. We have never had a customer complaint and many are repeat purchasers.
If you carefully exam my website you will see it is totally legit and has my personal contact info.

I'm displaying it here as well:
Frank Aubuchon
41 Stallbrook Road
Milford, MA 01757
508-478-7085
FrankA is offline   0
Old Oct 10, 2005, 09:44 AM   #6
gwuMACaddict
macrumors 68040

man... just when i thought we got rid of that other cheap-o iPod thread...

Old Oct 10, 2005, 09:50 AM   #7
devilot
Moderator emeritus

CanadaRAM, where aaaaare you? Super sleuth, the citizens of MR-opolis are in dire need of your super hero assistance! But alas, where has SuperSleuth gone?!

Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:09 AM   #8
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilot76
CanadaRAM, where aaaaare you? Super sleuth, the citizens of MR-opolis are in dire need of your super hero assistance! But alas, where has SuperSleuth gone?!
Give me a break, woman. It's only 8 AM Supersleuths don't operate without coffee...

The domain has in fact been regisetered for a year

Domain Name.......... giveyourselfagift.com
Creation Date........ 2004-10-24
Registration Date.... 2004-10-24
Expiry Date.......... 2005-10-24
Organisation Name.... Francis Aubuchon
Organisation Address. 41 Stallbrook Rd
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. Milford
Organisation Address. 01757
Organisation Address. MA
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Last edited by CanadaRAM; Oct 10, 2005 at 10:13 AM.
CanadaRAM is offline   0
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:17 AM   #9
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

All of the following are public source information

Domain Name.......... giveyourselfagift.com
Creation Date........ 2004-10-24
Registration Date.... 2004-10-24
Expiry Date.......... 2005-10-24
Organisation Name.... Francis Aubuchon
Organisation Address. 41 Stallbrook Rd
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. Milford
Organisation Address. 01757
Organisation Address. MA
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

This is the listed address for Frank Aubuchon's telephone number (which I am not going to publish here).

They are listed on the Central Mass Business Council web page for selling art photography
<http://www.centralmassbusinesscouncil.com/directory/>

They do accept payment by major credit cards. This gives the buyer a small measure of protection.

No records found at the Worcester Mass. Better Business Bureau under the name Giveyourselfagift or Aubuchon, or the URL or the 800-number or the street address
<http://www.worcester.bbb.org/search.html>

Which means the company may not be operating in the same area that the domain was registered to, or may have a different legal name or may not be a registered company. (Commonly the BBB has records on all registered companies, whether or not they are members). However they are charging the state and/or local taxes for Mass customers, so they must be registered somewhere (rules vary from state to state).

They don't provide a local (non-800) number. 800 numbers can be leased from third parties, so they don't help much in establishing identity or location.
There is no reverse phone number lookup on (800) 715-2425.

Googling "Frank Aubuchon" gets a number of hits on an individual in Mass., none of which are negative information.

Googling the company name and phone number finds a number of listings in specific directories and listings, none of which are negative, which establishes a bit of a track record. (Remember that it is easy for a company to get listed on "shoping search engines" and privately run directories and this does not guarantee that the information is accurate).

Preliminary conclusion
------------------------
There is nothing at this site that raises red flags for me. The information available is consistent with a legitimate business.

What they could do better:
---------------------------------
Register with the local Better Business Bureau
Enrol in an independent online trusted-vendor programme such as BBB Online, BizRate, Verified by Visa.
Provide the legal name of the company and a non-800 number on the website.
You have to fill in your email and personal information before you can see the shipping and tax charges. Provide a way to see what the final costs will be on the order before demanding all personal information.
State where the Nanos come from and the warranty terms. There is no statement of warranty on the Nanos, other than a DOA exchange. Their other products have a 30 day warranty AFAICT.

The buying decision:
--------------------------------
If you accept the premise that the site is selling Nanos at a cut rate to bring customers to their website for their other products, you need to ask

1) Are they an Apple authorized seller? (The presumed answer is no)

2) Will the Nanos come with warranty?

3) The pricing (with free insured shipping) is improbable for authorized-dealer, purchased from Apple distribution product and Nanos are too new and too rare to be available from dealer overstocks and liquidations. So, are they taking a loss on each Nano sold, or are these units gray-market or stolen units?

If they are taking a loss, then this programme will be limited in time. They will sell as many as they can stand to lose money on, enjoy the massive rush of bargain hunters to the site, then discontinue the Nano sale. If the Nanos are offshore imports or hot, then MR Members would be advised not to entertain purchasing them.

4) Will your credit card and personal information be treated properly? The site does have a short policy statement, but does not indicate any membership in a programme such as BBB Online or one of the third party eCommerce verification companies to improve confidence. With any seller, whether the information you provide is handled properly or misued is a matter of trust.

The worst case scenario is that some website's real purpose is to traffic in card numbers and identities, not products, which is why checking a seller out online is important.

Steps to verifying a seller:
-------------------------
Look up the domain name in a whois search such as www.geektools.com to see how old the website is and who registered it

Google the company name, looking for any comments or records that establish a history, also try the address and telephone number.

Go to www.bbb.org and search for the company

Do a lookup on the business name and address at www.whitepages.com and a phone umber reverse lookup. These records are often 6 - 12 months out of date, so a non-result is not conclusive.

If the company is presumed to be a major online seller, look for their ratings in resellerratings.com and epinions.com

Look for recommendations from people who have bought. If they are not from people you have reason to trust, take them with a grain of salt, though, because 'shill' posting and bribed feedback ratings are common.

Last edited by CanadaRAM; Oct 10, 2005 at 11:25 AM.
CanadaRAM is offline   0
Old Oct 10, 2005, 04:34 PM   #10
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM
Give me a break, woman. It's only 8 AM Supersleuths don't operate without coffee...
Hee. I'll keep that in mind, the whole coffee bit. Once again, thanks CanadaRAM for stepping up and poking around.

Hmm, think I'll still wait to get it from my bf's uni bookstore. The whole bit about whether or not they are qualified Apple resellers/ the warranty, would rather not deal w/ that (and shipping).

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion