Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:37 PM   #1
chris2k5
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
HTC M7 The REAL Next Big Thing

Anyone else excited for the M7 from HTC?

468ppi on a well built body!
chris2k5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:50 PM   #2
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Honestly 1080p displays don't move the meter for me. At screen sizes as small as smartphones, I've yet to see where a difference between 1080p and 720p is discernable enough to actually matter. At this point, I think it's more a bullet point on a spec sheet than something that actually provides value. 468 ppi is so far above the threshold where the human eye can discern individual pixels, that it's really just overkill. It's like having a rocket launcher for protection....sure it will work, but it's really WAY above and beyond the call of duty.
The iGentleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:50 PM   #3
MuffCabbage
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Hmm, I have wonders about how well built it will be. Ive gone through 3 8X's because of ****** quality.
MuffCabbage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:20 PM   #4
b166er
macrumors 68020
 
b166er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philly
I think HTC's are junk. I don't know anyone who still uses them. All my friends are using Apple, Nokia, and Samsung.
__________________
Wait... I had something for this.
b166er is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:55 PM   #5
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
How many flagship devices can HTC release in a 12 month period?
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:05 PM   #6
kenypowa
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
How many flagship devices can HTC release in a 12 month period?
Just One X, DNA and this.

Problems with HTC is not hardware, but stupid Sense and its lack of updates. It's ridiculous that Amaze, EVO 3D, Raider, Rezound only receive one major update (ICS). SG2 which was released way before these phones are now upgraded to JellyBean. The management is ran by idiots and why would any one continue to buy HTC when their friends' similar-spec phones gets latest update and theirs don't.
__________________
Nexus 4 / 1 / Moto G
iPad / iPad Mini
MacBook / Chromebook
kenypowa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:16 PM   #7
b166er
macrumors 68020
 
b166er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philly
I don't personally know a single person who uses HTC. They're the phones that salesman sucker people in to 2 year contracts with. Admittedly I had such awful experiences with them I'd never give them another chance, so call me biased. They always look great in the ads but they don't perform well in reality. There's a reason Samsung blew past them in the blink of an eye. And no, I'm not using a Samsung- it's just the truth.
__________________
Wait... I had something for this.

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 5, 2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Removed deleted post from quote
b166er is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:37 PM   #8
bembol
macrumors 6502a
 
bembol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: iCloud
You're not counting facebook right, not on it and I don't know anyone who has an hTc.

I did had the EVO 3D & One X but it didn't last long, sold it after a few weeks.


I have to admit they do make the best looking Super Phones and love the feel & quality. If they release a nexus, I would buy it for sure.
__________________
SHIFT_
27" iMac Late-2012 Base w/32GB RAM & 3TB Fusion | Black 32GB nexus 5 32GB Black iPad Air Wi-Fi

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 5, 2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Removed deleted post from quote
bembol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:42 PM   #9
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Top left corner
If I had to switch to an Android device, it would be a Motorola Razr HD Maxx.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac 1.8GHz i7 11" MacBook Air 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display
4TB RAID 10 8TB RAID 0 6TB RAID 0 2TB Time Capsule ac White/silver iPhone 5S & iPad Air
xraydoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Peterg2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
If I had to switch to an Android device, it would be a Motorola Razr HD Maxx.
It really suits me in a way, without the Maxx necessarily, but, being android, the specs on release were really 6 or so months behind the curve. If it had a better camera - reasonably close to the iPhone 5 but not necessarily as good, and a quad core with 2 gig ram, I would have bought it already. Sony Xperia Z/ZL is what is now on my radar.

However, my phone is very important to me and being 10 minutes walk away from an Apple store, I feel I will probably go with a 5, despite not being overly enthusiastic about it. I just cannot be bothered with having to return my phone to the manufacturer for warranty work or a swap.

In Canada you have 14 days or 30 minutes, whichever is less, if you want to return a phone (a phone purchased with a contract) in the case you simply do not like it.
Peterg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:52 AM   #11
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Top left corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterg2 View Post
It really suits me in a way, without the Maxx necessarily, but, being android, the specs on release were really 6 or so months behind the curve. If it had a better camera - reasonably close to the iPhone 5 but not necessarily as good, and a quad core with 2 gig ram, I would have bought it already. Sony Xperia Z/ZL is what is now on my radar.

However, my phone is very important to me and being 10 minutes walk away from an Apple store, I feel I will probably go with a 5, despite not being overly enthusiastic about it. I just cannot be bothered with having to return my phone to the manufacturer for warranty work or a swap.

In Canada you have 14 days or 30 minutes, whichever is less, if you want to return a phone (a phone purchased with a contract) in the case you simply do not like it.
The specs on the Razr HD aren't absolute top, I agree. However, I've had several Android phones in the past and the single most common thing about them is the battery life sucks something terrible compared to what most iPhone users are used to getting. Many Android guys find 3 hours of screen-on time to be perfectly acceptable. It is not; I can get 6-7 hrs of screen-on time out of my iPhone at 50% brightness. Even the best smartphone in the world will be rendered useless by a dead battery. And for me, the full day and night I consistently get from my iPhone trumps all current benefits of Android.

Personally, I hate carrying spare batteries. I've got enough extra crap in my pockets already - keys, wallet, money/change, sometimes a pair of earbuds... another battery rattling around is not something I want to remember to always have. So, I must consider an "extended" battery. For my prior Android phones (Droid Incredible, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3), the available extended batteries have been monstrous, bulky, heavy and awkward, all necessitating the use of a custom battery door and all virtually doubling the thickness and weight of the phone.

The Razr HD, however, has a built-in 3,300mAh battery that should give even a power-hungry Android LTE phone with an AMOLED screen (which I believe to be horribly inefficient) a "reasonable" battery life - at least equal to what an iPhone 5 user would expect out of a day. And it's only 2 mm thicker than an iPhone 5 (weighs more, too, of course, but not really all that much).
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac 1.8GHz i7 11" MacBook Air 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display
4TB RAID 10 8TB RAID 0 6TB RAID 0 2TB Time Capsule ac White/silver iPhone 5S & iPad Air
xraydoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:39 AM   #12
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
I used to be a huge HTC fan. Loved Sense, loved their hardware.

Over time, I had two HTC phones whose USB charging ports stopped working (and I'm too lazy these days to resolder them)... which eventually pushed me into trying a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

(Also, HTC started putting the charging ports on the side, which made it harder to find desktop docks in portrait mode. As a developer, this was a pain.)

Upshot: after years of avoiding Samsungs because they felt so light and flimsy in comparison, now I appreciate their thinness and light weight
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:07 AM   #13
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000
 
LSUtigers03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
I'll get excited about an HTC phone when they start putting in decent sized batteries.
LSUtigers03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:10 AM   #14
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarling View Post
I used to be a huge HTC fan. Loved Sense, loved their hardware.

Over time, I had two HTC phones whose USB charging ports stopped working (and I'm too lazy these days to resolder them)... which eventually pushed me into trying a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

(Also, HTC started putting the charging ports on the side, which made it harder to find desktop docks in portrait mode. As a developer, this was a pain.)

Upshot: after years of avoiding Samsungs because they felt so light and flimsy in comparison, now I appreciate their thinness and light weight
What device are you using now?
The iGentleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:38 PM   #15
vikingjunior
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
The specs on the Razr HD aren't absolute top, I agree. However, I've had several Android phones in the past and the single most common thing about them is the battery life sucks something terrible compared to what most iPhone users are used to getting. Many Android guys find 3 hours of screen-on time to be perfectly acceptable. It is not; I can get 6-7 hrs of screen-on time out of my iPhone at 50% brightness. Even the best smartphone in the world will be rendered useless by a dead battery. And for me, the full day and night I consistently get from my iPhone trumps all current benefits of Android.

Personally, I hate carrying spare batteries. I've got enough extra crap in my pockets already - keys, wallet, money/change, sometimes a pair of earbuds... another battery rattling around is not something I want to remember to always have. So, I must consider an "extended" battery. For my prior Android phones (Droid Incredible, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3), the available extended batteries have been monstrous, bulky, heavy and awkward, all necessitating the use of a custom battery door and all virtually doubling the thickness and weight of the phone.

The Razr HD, however, has a built-in 3,300mAh battery that should give even a power-hungry Android LTE phone with an AMOLED screen (which I believe to be horribly inefficient) a "reasonable" battery life - at least equal to what an iPhone 5 user would expect out of a day. And it's only 2 mm thicker than an iPhone 5 (weighs more, too, of course, but not really all that much).
The RAZR HD with JB is very buggy.
vikingjunior is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:49 PM   #16
AutoUnion39
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I'm not excited by any new HTC device, after my One X. Sense is terrible, battery life was horrid, to top it off, I don't think JB has come to the att model yet. Plus the One X+ came out six months later. They're going thru models too quickly.

Im sticking with Samsung because they don't just abandon their old models

The screen on the One X was gorgeous though.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:20 PM   #17
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Top left corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingjunior View Post
The RAZR HD with JB is very buggy.
Too bad. That's a big problem for Android - doesn't work correctly on anything I guess.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac 1.8GHz i7 11" MacBook Air 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display
4TB RAID 10 8TB RAID 0 6TB RAID 0 2TB Time Capsule ac White/silver iPhone 5S & iPad Air
xraydoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:57 PM   #18
AutoUnion39
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Too bad. That's a big problem for Android - doesn't work correctly on anything I guess.
i guess you haven't used any of the recent sammy devices then. got it
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:30 PM   #19
OceanView
macrumors 6502a
 
OceanView's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Too bad. That's a big problem for Android - doesn't work correctly on anything I guess.
Try out the Samsung S3 and Note II and you will see a very smooth Android experience. No lag, hesitation or issues.

I've had my Note II since launch and have NEVER had a reboot on its own.
I use to have that happen to me every once in a while on every single one of my iPhones.
__________________
21" iMac, Mac Mini, MBA 13, iPad, Nook HD+, Samsung Note III & S4
OceanView is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:58 PM   #20
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Top left corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
i guess you haven't used any of the recent sammy devices then. got it
Not true. I own a Samsung Galaxy S3. Battery life is unacceptable. I'd love to trade it for a Maxx HD.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac 1.8GHz i7 11" MacBook Air 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display
4TB RAID 10 8TB RAID 0 6TB RAID 0 2TB Time Capsule ac White/silver iPhone 5S & iPad Air
xraydoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:06 PM   #21
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Not true. I own a Samsung Galaxy S3. Battery life is unacceptable. I'd love to trade it for a Maxx HD.
Interesting. I've never had an issue with battery life on my GS3 (when I had it). It wasn't phenomenal battery life, but I very easily could make it through a 12-14 hour day of moderate use, and still have at least 20-30% remaining. I never worried about my battery dying when I was using that device.
The iGentleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:13 PM   #22
AutoUnion39
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Not true. I own a Samsung Galaxy S3. Battery life is unacceptable. I'd love to trade it for a Maxx HD.
it lasts a day, just like my iPhone5.

my Note 2 lasts much much longer though.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:13 AM   #23
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000
 
LSUtigers03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Not true. I own a Samsung Galaxy S3. Battery life is unacceptable. I'd love to trade it for a Maxx HD.
What do you consider acceptable? My S3 would easily last around 18 hours sometimes longer with 3-4 hours of screen time.
LSUtigers03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:46 AM   #24
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Top left corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigers03 View Post
What do you consider acceptable? My S3 would easily last around 18 hours sometimes longer with 3-4 hours of screen time.
I consider acceptable something that can replicate the battery life I get with my iPhone. I can regularly get 5-6 hours of screen-on time on time, often more, from a single charge.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac 1.8GHz i7 11" MacBook Air 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display
4TB RAID 10 8TB RAID 0 6TB RAID 0 2TB Time Capsule ac White/silver iPhone 5S & iPad Air
xraydoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:50 AM   #25
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
Honestly 1080p displays don't move the meter for me. At screen sizes as small as smartphones, I've yet to see where a difference between 1080p and 720p is discernable enough to actually matter. At this point, I think it's more a bullet point on a spec sheet than something that actually provides value. 468 ppi is so far above the threshold where the human eye can discern individual pixels, that it's really just overkill. It's like having a rocket launcher for protection....sure it will work, but it's really WAY above and beyond the call of duty.
Sense. You make it.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC