Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralphalph

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Since Apple has restored remote access to time capsules once offered by MobileMe, is there a way to backup to my time capsule remotely?

I use my Macbook Pro running OSX 10.8.2 at work, while I back up to my time capsule at home. I do not bring the laptop home every night, and most times when I do it is solely to backup. I am able to remotely connect to my time capsule, and access the files thereon, but Time Machine does not appear to see the disk. Does anyone have any tips on how to make this work?

Thanks!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I can't help you with the Time Capsule remotely, although I don't think you can. You should however look into something like CrashPlan+ so your laptop is always being backed up no matter where it is. I use CP+ at home and absolutely love it.

jblongz

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
NYC
I've been using Crashplan+ Family for two years. It has come to my rescue several times. I still wonder if Apple is working on an efficient method of remote Time Capsule access. I pay ~$127/yr for Unlimited storage (using about 5TB), and I'm thinking I'd save in the long term with a few modded Capsules running 4TB drives. But until there is a solid (supported) remote access, nothing beats CrashPlan+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.