Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I used Time Machine to backup my previous MBP before I sold it. Now that I have my new MBP, I did a clean install of Mountain Lion as soon as I turned it on.

I'd rather manually add the applications myself. Can I just drag/copy the applications I want from my Time Machine backup to install them on the new MBP?

Nov 28, 2010
located
With most applications you might be able to do it, but the settings will not be transferred that way. Other, more complex applications, the one coming with a proper installer, will probably not work that way.

In Migration Assistant you can choose to only transfer applications if you want to.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
So there's some migration assistant that allows me to bring over only selected applications?

How do I use this and where is it located?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So there's some migration assistant that allows me to bring over only selected applications?

How do I use this and where is it located?

You can use Migration Assistant to transfer over apps, but it is an all or nothing affair. If you check the box in Migration Assistant to move apps, they all get moved over.

You could still just use Migration Assistant then immediately afterward go into the Applications folder and delete the apps you don't want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.