Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
Hello All ,
On 2/4/2013 , I updated my iPhone 4s from iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken ? Unlocked to iOS 6.1 and now I can't get past the Activation Screen . I updated it by iTunes and I pressed Shift and restore and I browsed the firmware I downloaded this morning. Now I'm stuck on the Activation .
I tried installing iOS 6.1 on iTunes but I keep getting iTunes Server Unavailable or cannot be contacted . If someone can help me with this it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
hi,
as far as i know you should never update a jailbroken device. ALWAYS restore as new first, and then update. i think that's where you've gone wrong.
i suggest plug in your device and on itunes click on 'restore as new'. before you do this, make sure you back up your device. during the restoration process, itunes will automatically download & install 6.1.
incase your itunes isin't reading your phone, then you will need to go into DFU mode. I'm not too fimiliar with DFU options as i've done it only once, a few years back while jailbreaking my i4 on 5.1.1 so i dont remember the process, but i can tell you, your phone is not bricked and your situation is fixable. :)
incase my limited knowledge & advice doesnt help, wait till the senior members see this and help you out.
g'luck!

justajason

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2009
It's not bricked. Put it in DFU mode then do a normal restore. Look up the directions. It's super easy.

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
I tried that but it doesn't seem to work .

----------

I just tried doing it but all I see is restore iPhone and I dont see anything like restore as new .

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
TinyUmbrella adds a line to your hosts file to point itunes to a different server to allow you to restore an older version of iOS.

It has been a while since i had to do this, so i cant be of much help, but there are guides on reversing this change online.

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
Update : I found and iOS 5.1.1 on my computer which was in my blobs folder but when I tried to install it it said " The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (11)

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
TinyUmbrella adds a line to your hosts file to point itunes to a different server to allow you to restore an older version of iOS.

@Demonface - what t5brick just said makes a lot of sense. that's probablly whats happening with you. now i have never used tinyumbrella but why dont you try deleting/uninstalling TU, reinstalling itunes and then clicking on 'restore'... just a thought...

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
@Demonface - what t5brick just said makes a lot of sense. that's probablly whats happening with you. now i have never used tinyumbrella but why dont you try deleting/uninstalling TU, reinstalling itunes and then clicking on 'restore'... just a thought...

I don't think deleting TinyUmbrella and restoring iTunes will do it. I'm sure i had to go in and delete a line from my hosts file.

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami

Ok , I guess I can give it a try .

----------

I don't think deleting TinyUmbrella and restoring iTunes will do it. I'm sure i had to go in and delete a line from my hosts file.

how exactly do I do that ?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I tried restoring iOS 5.1.1 and I still get an Iphone cannot be restored error.

Did you get to this part?

Mac OS X:

Step 1 : Go to your “Applications” folder
Step 2 : Go to your “Utilities” folder
Step 3 : Launch “Terminal”
Step 4 : Type “sudo nano /etc/hosts” (without quotes) and hit return
Step 5 : Enter your password
Step 6 : Use the down arrow key to find the “gs.apple.com” entries. Once the cursor is in front, make sure you comment out the line(s) by entering “#” (no quotes) in front of the text.
Step 7 : Save the file by pressing CONTROL+O on the keyboard
Step 8 : Exit the nano editor by pressing CONTROL+X on the keyboard
Step 9 : Restore your iDevice

Windows:
Step 1. Start –> Programs –> Accessories
Step 2. Run Notepad or WordPad
Step 3. Click “Open..” from File menu.
Step 4. Browse to Windows/System32/drivers/etc
Step 5. In “files of type:” select all documents
Step 6. Open “hosts”
Step 7. Delete all line that has “gs.apple.com” or something like that
Step 8. Hit Save
Step 9. Restore your device.

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
It keeps going to Activating Your iPhone screen .

----------

iTunes says " We're sorry , We are unable to continue with your activation at this time "
IPhone says Sim NOT Valid.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
It keeps going to Activating Your iPhone screen .

----------

iTunes says " We're sorry , We are unable to continue with your activation at this time "
IPhone says Sim NOT Valid.

Sounds like you have a locked iphone and a SIM from a different carrier?

Demonface

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Jersey/Miami
Sounds like you have a locked iphone and a SIM from a different carrier?

The thing is that I have a Gevery Sim in this iPhone and it worked well on iOS 5.1.1 but since i tried to update to iOS 6.1 it's not going past the activation screen . I also have /had Straight Talk if that matters.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The thing is that I have a Gevery Sim in this iPhone and it worked well on iOS 5.1.1 but since i tried to update to iOS 6.1 it's not going past the activation screen .

I can't really be of much help here. I've done a lot of jailbreaking, but I haven't done any unlocking.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
ok, I dont think I need unlocking help though . Just getting pass the Activation Screen.

Im pretty sure you'll need a valid SIM card in there to get past it. I had to get one to activate my old 3GS that my son uses as an iPod touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.