Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Eddyarto
macrumors newbie

Smile USB connector cable for mini ipad

Dear All,
I have a mini ipad 32gb and have a problem with the USB connector cable, it seems I can not access my flash disc thru Ifile.
Please help !
Eddyarto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502

I assume you installed the jailbreak app that allows you to actually access any flash drive? iFile itself won't do it.

If so, it's likely that your drive requires more than the measly 20mA that Apple has limited the USB adapter to outputting
Cptnodegard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:42 PM   #3
scubagal
macrumors newbie

I'm getting ready to buy the ipad mini and it will be my first apple product.

I would like more info on jailbreaking it to be able to transfer files via usb or sd card

thanks
scubagal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
You can transfer files via iTunes, no need for jailbreaking. That's just a way to buy the 16GB model and then walk around like this:
Thumb resize.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagal View Post
I'm getting ready to buy the ipad mini and it will be my first apple product.

I would like more info on jailbreaking it to be able to transfer files via usb or sd card

thanks
Buy the USB camera adapter and then an unpowered USB hub (needed to circumvent a "too much power" restriction). You can then open iFile to access whatever you connected, even multiple USB drives at once
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:40 PM   #6
scubagal
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
Buy the USB camera adapter and then an unpowered USB hub (needed to circumvent a "too much power" restriction). You can then open iFile to access whatever you connected, even multiple USB drives at once
Does ifile come with the ipad mini or do I need to get it.

I ordered the camera adapter but also found and ordered a lightning cable to female USB adapter as well.

Guess I now need to see if I can find an old USB hub that from a few years ago.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Does ifile come with the ipad mini or do I need to get it.

I ordered the camera adapter but also found and ordered a lightning cable to female USB adapter as well.

Guess I now need to see if I can find an old USB hub that from a few years ago.
You need to jailbreak in order to use iFile, which is available in Cydia. There's some sort of free version that I forgot how works (trial/freeware/whatever), but it's not very expensive to just buy

Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:49 PM   #8
scubagal
macrumors newbie

Is it difficult to jailbreak it? I know it voids the warranty but if something happens, can it be restored to factory presents?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Cptnodegard
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Is it difficult to jailbreak it? I know it voids the warranty but if something happens, can it be restored to factory presents?
I don't think it's possible to **** it up beyond the restore capability. At least I've never seen anyone that have done that.

As for the jailbreaking process, it takes 5-10 minutes and involves you clicking two buttons
Cptnodegard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:02 AM   #10
TWO2SEVEN
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Jailbreaking will not void your warranty. If you need to take it to the Apple store for service just restore it from a backup from before the jailbreak.
TWO2SEVEN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:55 PM   #11
scubagal
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO2SEVEN View Post
Jailbreaking will not void your warranty. If you need to take it to the Apple store for service just restore it from a backup from before the jailbreak.
thanks

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories