Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:29 AM   #51
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
Can't wait for the 256 GB at $899!

Seriously though, I think this is an odd moment to introduce this. Yes, it should have been introduced already, way earlier. But today it almost feels too late with iCloud, Netflix, Spotify, Dropbox, all that. I don't exactly have a growing library of mp3 files these days. Sure, it's nice if you have a conservative data plan, but I can't say I'm without WiFi for weeks at a time too often.
i've read a lot of corporations testing ipads for business use asked for this. especially those where people need to carry around large autodesk and similar files
alent1234 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:31 AM   #52
NewAnger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
See AT&T, Verizon & Sprint tiered data rates. Cloud could be wonderful but you have to pay these tollmasters for access anywhere, anytime that you are away from wifi. The cloud is not the answer as long as such tollmasters have a lock on the pipe between consumers and this cloud.
Yes, this is the reason. Back in October over a year ago when AT&T started limiting bandwidth for people on unlimited plans who go over 3GB, I spent two nights seeing how much bandwidth I could go through in those two nights. I downloaded the Complete Led Zeppelin twice and about 5-6 other albums and burned through just under 6GB those two nights. This is why we need the storage.
NewAnger is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:31 AM   #53
aikomhoch
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatarshark View Post
Do we really need 128GB iPhone, what are you doing with the 64gb? Or are you suggesting it for suggestion sake?
For me it would be all about more music, in case iCloud match isn't working. I often have problems on the train, so if I know I have a huge chunk of my music with me I'm happy.
aikomhoch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:32 AM   #54
Rafterman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
Can't wait for the 256 GB at $899!

Seriously though, I think this is an odd moment to introduce this. Yes, it should have been introduced already, way earlier. But today it almost feels too late with iCloud, Netflix, Spotify, Dropbox, all that. I don't exactly have a growing library of mp3 files these days. Sure, it's nice if you have a conservative data plan, but I can't say I'm without WiFi for weeks at a time too often.
Actually, not odd at all, considering the Microsoft Surface Pro is coming out later this week. I think Apple wants to compete with all the 128GB Windows 8 tablets and ultrabooks coming out. While an iPad might not be on the same level as a tablet running a full OS to most, it would be sufficient for many people, especially Mac people, as an Ipad is sufficient in the "big 3" - corporate email, web and remote desktop.
Rafterman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:32 AM   #55
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Think I'd rather get a base MBA for these prices.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:33 AM   #56
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sishaw View Post
Apple should retire the 16gb model and make the 32gb $499 and so on.
Thats how it has been traditionally done.

Whats the reasoning for this? Are competitors offering this size? Is Apple trying to capture dollars from the few who would pay this premium before upgrading all the SKUs more storage. But then does make the premium models 256GB, that I can't see happening. Why Apple didn't just bump all the models is very confusing.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:33 AM   #57
ob81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
Lets pay as much as a full laptop for a device that does half of what the laptop does. Seems logical.

I used an iPad only while on travel for 9 months. The only thing I couldn't do was access my schools learning environment site. That was it. I did everything else, with the added bonus of being portable. I sold my 64gb due to the space. I didn't always have Internet access, so I needed to store locally on the iPad. Had this new 128gb model been around, I never would have bought my rMBP.
ob81 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:33 AM   #58
pordux
macrumors newbie

Give me an iPad mini -retina- 256 gb, and i will buy it NOW!
pordux is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:35 AM   #59
vartanarsen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
Wouldn't we need to jailbreak the iPad? If so, that's why you are not understanding why most consumers are paying for the fixed storage...most consumers don't have the skills (or knowledge to even know about in advance) to jailbreak.
Oh...didnt realize we were even discussing JB or not.

Well, if unlimited SD-Storage selection via iFile and free Tethering of your bought-data, and zyphyr 1 finger swip up app switcher are not reasons enough to JB, I don'k know what are!!!
LOL!!
vartanarsen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:35 AM   #60
arkmannj
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to arkmannj
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNuffan View Post
Why would someone need that much space when there are so many cloud services?
1) Data Rates from cell providers
2) Cloud services are not always available (in flight, traveling, bad signal areas, etc...)

3) As tablets get used for more and more daily life I expect to see more and more personal content stored on them, home movies, photos, documents (pages, numbers, keynote, omni outliner, omni graffle, photoshop, autocad, etc.. etc...)

4) there will always be a need and desire to have pleanty of offline storage.

5) The user can be less picky about what apps, games, pictures, movies, application caches, etc... they keep on the tablet.

6) some people don't trust or want to use cloud services

7) Speed, if you have a 2GB file, it is going to be faster to open, and easier to work with it on the local storage. multiply this out for a number of files.

8) many othe reasons that I'm to tired to think of right now.
arkmannj is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:35 AM   #61
tdtran1025
macrumors 6502

A mistake in marketing. Sales of the big Pads are down simply because the little ones are cheaper.
tdtran1025 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:36 AM   #62
Rafterman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pordux View Post
Give me an iPad mini -retina- 256 gb, and i will buy it NOW!
Buying it "now" would probably be a prototype costing $5,000
Rafterman is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:38 AM   #63
fraggot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
I dont understand why people are paying for fixed storage.

Just get the camera kit. Get any array of SD cards (including 128 Gigs). Install iFile (for easy selection and viewing movies right from), and carry your entire HD movie collection with you at all times, without taking any space on a 16 gig iPad......and no internet needed.
That seems a bit complicated for someone who's buying an iPad. I one want more storage, I don't have internet at my house so my 64gb iPhone has came in handy. When I'm around Wifi or at work, I can download all my Spotify tracks to my phone since it would destroy my data plan.

And I personally don't like to always rely on all of these magical cloud services, they go down and aren't always permanent solutions. Plus I for one actually pay for stuff, which means I can't just easily story iTunes content on a bunch of stupid SD cards. Plus after buying the camera connection kit and an SD card big enough to store everything one, wouldn't it make more sense to just upgrade to more storage anyways?
fraggot is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:39 AM   #64
AnthonyCM
macrumors regular

Glad people that want it have the option, but I just signed up for iTunes Match last week, which now allows me plenty of space on my iDevices. Granted, I have my unlimited AT&T account still, and have no caps on my home Internet use.

I've always wanted a 128 GB phone, but now, for me, it's not needed. Here's hoping the option is there soon for those that want it, though.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:40 AM   #65
fraggot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkmannj View Post
2) Cloud services are not always available (in flight, traveling, bad signal areas, etc...)

3) As tablets get used for more and more daily life I expect to see more and more personal content stored on them, home movies, photos, documents (pages, numbers, keynote, omni outliner, omni graffle, photoshop, autocad, etc.. etc...)

5) The user can be less picky about what apps, games, pictures, movies, application caches, etc... they keep on the tablet.

7) Speed, if you have a 2GB file, it is going to be faster to open, and easier to work with it on the local storage. multiply this out for a number of files.

Couldn't have said it better myself
fraggot is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:40 AM   #66
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Do we really need 128GB iPhone, what are you doing with the 64gb? Or are you suggesting it for suggestion sake?
I truly hate these posts. YOU may not need it, but who says other might not? IF you don't want a 128GB iPhone, don't buy it. This is why that have different size storage. Not everyone has unlimited data to stream music, or maybe they don't want too because it sucks up battery life. I don't stream just because I don't like it and my music taste can change all day long of what I want to listen too.

Other reasons listed and great points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkmannj View Post

Primejimbo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:40 AM   #67
needfx
macrumors 68030

so not worth it
needfx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:41 AM   #68
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
Think I'd rather get a base MBA for these prices.
you and me both, pal
pnoyblazed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:42 AM   #69
GuyCalledPete
macrumors member

Quote:
I have a 64Gb 4S, and with most of my music on there, some photos, some documents, a few books, and one and a half pages of apps (in folders) I find myself with less than 500Mb remaining. I am regularly deleting apps when I install new ones simply because I don't have the space.

I won't be buying a new iPhone until 128Gb is an option.

-- Pete.
GuyCalledPete is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:44 AM   #70
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I dont need that much but I can see the need if you store all of your music on your phone.

And movies take up a bit. I know the iphone isnt great for watching movies but you can always use airplay.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:45 AM   #71
fraggot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
I'm anticipating it, hoping for it, but there is no certainty. I'm surprised they upped the RAM on the iDevices, because it cuts down need for the cloud services.
You are confusing your words there. It does not have 128gb of RAM, it just has 128gb of Flash Storage. It actually only has 1gb of RAM.
fraggot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:47 AM   #72
robjulo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNuffan View Post
Why would someone need that much space when there are so many cloud services?
How well do those cloud services work in an airplane or anywhere else you don't have coverage?
robjulo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:48 AM   #73
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
Wouldn't we need to jailbreak the iPad? If so, that's why you are not understanding why most consumers are paying for the fixed storage...most consumers don't have the skills (or knowledge to even know about in advance) to jailbreak.
Or want to jailbreak... I like Apples smooth OS and solid performance all around. A few features aren't worth the comprimise IMO.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:52 AM   #74
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Because it's not just a phone any more. It's my music, video and photo library, it's a (kind of) games device and it's my point and shoot camera. 64gb is paltry. I filled up my first iOS device (64gb iPod touch in 2010) on day 1.
Now I spread my content between multiple devices. That way I don't have to micromanage any data. All music on iPhone, all photos on iPad, all my videos on iPod Classic.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:55 AM   #75
Mullerman
macrumors newbie

How much?

The pricing for the memory hike is OK at the top end and pitiful at the bottom.
Mullerman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion