Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
Hi all!

Almost every animation in OSX seems to have slowed down. The dock animation, expose, mission control and sometimes opening windows all have seem to drop in FPS. I'm not really sure how else to describe it. The machine I'm running on is a MBP from about 2 years ago with a 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 8 gigs of ram and an SSD. This should not be happening. It has happened to me before (on another OS, Lion) and the only thing that fixed it was a reformat (which I don't want to do again right now) and always starts out of the blue. I've tried running permissions repair, HDD repair and deleted all unnecessary files. I have a second HD in my laptop which holds all of my data, so I can't imagine its from having to much crap on the OSX partition.

I wanted to see if anyone else has this issue or knows a solution. There is another thread from a few years ago, but the only advice was to change the time in which expose takes to run animations, but they're still choppy.

The best description I have of my issue is when I use mission control, the window pops in and out. It seems to skip the entire scaling transition.

Sorry for the verbose post! Any help is appreciated.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
What's the load looking like in activity monitor? How are the temps holding up when not under any load?

Markov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
What's the load looking like in activity monitor? How are the temps holding up when not under any load?

Activity monitor on idle (with only safari and activity monitor running by choice) for the CPU says: ~62% idle, ~26% user and ~20% system. As far as memory, there are 6 gigs free. Both HD activity and network activity graphs are low with a small peak here and there.

Edit: And what do you mean by temps?

Markov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
How hot is the machine getting.

If you're keeping most of your data externally then there's little harm in doing a clean install of OSX to see if that helps.

Ohhhh, temperature is running normal. Yeah, I may just do a clean install. I think I may employ the use of carbon copy cloaner this time around.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Ohhhh, temperature is running normal. Yeah, I may just do a clean install. I think I may employ the use of carbon copy cloaner this time around.

I would try a clean install and if that fails a trip to the apple store might be worth your time.

Bear in mind that if it is to do with fragmentation then CCC will just restore that if you do a full backup. Still use it by all means but be selective in what you restore.

Markov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
I would try a clean install and if that fails a trip to the apple store might be worth your time.

Bear in mind that if it is to do with fragmentation then CCC will just restore that if you do a full backup. Still use it by all means but be selective in what you restore.

I'm confident it is all software related, so I'll probably skip the Apple store trip (unless a reformat doesn't fix the issue). I plan on using CCC after I reformat and setup, so when this happens again it won't take any time to fix the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.