Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:35 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Pebble Smart Watch to Begin Shipping January 23

Popular Kickstarter smart watch project Pebble, which broke records by raising over $10 million in its funding push, has announced at CES today that the device will begin shipping to Kickstarter backers on January 23. With over 85,000 orders placed, it will take approximately 6-8 weeks to fulfill the Kickstarter orders, after which the watch will be available for general sale.

Image from Engadget
Pebble is just one of a growing number of smart watches, and Apple has even been rumored to be working on its own project. But Pebble's relatively large e-paper display and an API for app developers have generated considerable buzz for the project.

Pebble supports both iOS and Android devices via low-power Bluetooth 4.0, with iOS devices requiring a minimum of iOS 5 for basic compatibility and iOS 6 for the full set of features. When paired with an iOS 6 device, Pebble can display many of the alerts that typically pop up in Notification Center. Pebble is also working on building out a cloud infrastructure that would allow users to sign in to a web site or web app with their Pebble accounts and receive notifications from the site pushed to their watches.

Article Link: Pebble Smart Watch to Begin Shipping January 23
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:42 PM   #2
needfx
macrumors 68030

that's not too bad in comparison to the other behemoths
needfx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:43 PM   #3
ThatsMrsGeek2U
macrumors newbie

I'm finally coming around to the idea of a watch again, finding that I can't have my phone laying around with young kids.
ThatsMrsGeek2U is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

I've been looking forward to this announcement. I wasn't a backer, but I'm on board now. This looks awesome.

So if I ordered today, I expect I wouldn't get until April? Ughhhhh.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:46 PM   #5
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

Judging from the pic, it will probably ship on 23rd September.
JaySoul is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:49 PM   #6
jclardy
macrumors 68020

It is looking pretty nice. I like some of the minimalist watch faces and the music controls will be great.

I am hoping that they are able to get some good app support, runkeeper will be great as I always keep my phone on me during my runs.

Would be really nice if there was some kind pedometer app that integrates with a service like Fitbit.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:50 PM   #7
needfx
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
that's very perceptive
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:53 PM   #8
billyt1963
macrumors newbie

In this case the nine twenty three is the time. There are a few different ways to display time. I think I actually like that one.

Billy
billyt1963 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:54 PM   #9
lee14160
macrumors regular

No style. May be a nice to have, but so ha, plain.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:03 PM   #10
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee14160 View Post
No style. May be a nice to have, but so ha, plain.
That and the display doesn't seem very nice either.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:11 PM   #11
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNG Operation View Post
Yes. It's not retina. It's e-ink.

I think it's a great project - and certainly seems to be better than previously released similar-type watches.
samcraig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:13 PM   #12
anubis
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNG Operation View Post
I like the e-ink display because it is always on. Any of the other watches that are based on an LCD display, although higher resolution, are always off. You have to push a button to turn the screen on every time, because otherwise the battery wouldn't last more than a few minutes.
anubis is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:14 PM   #13
ingramLee
macrumors regular

but I mean... must we be THAT connected to our technology???
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:34 PM   #14
avanpelt
macrumors 65816

I like the idea of this watch, but I'll wait until at least version 2.0 before I pull the trigger.

The next iteration will get some of the 1.0 bugs ironed out and might offer some different band choices. I'd like to see this technology in a watch with a round face and stainless steel band.
avanpelt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:39 PM   #15
Blomkvist
macrumors member

I am a backer on the Kickstarter campaign...very excited to get this in my hands and try it out.

I am hoping that some developer comes out with a fitbit/fuelband like application for this watch. It seems to me that this functionality would best fit into a sports watch...and I think Pebble would be a great platform.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:47 PM   #16
Ashyukun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis View Post
I like the e-ink display because it is always on. Any of the other watches that are based on an LCD display, although higher resolution, are always off. You have to push a button to turn the screen on every time, because otherwise the battery wouldn't last more than a few minutes.
This is one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to getting mine- I LOVE my Nano watch, but hate having to tap the button to turn the display on to see the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blomkvist
I am hoping that some developer comes out with a fitbit/fuelband like application for this watch. It seems to me that this functionality would best fit into a sports watch...and I think Pebble would be a great platform.
I'm also really hoping this is one of the launch apps that is available for it- that and a sleep-cycle tracker/alarm. If done well it could destroy the other fitness trackers just for how much else you can do with the Pebble.

I'm glad we finally have a ship date for them- but I'm also worried about how long it will be until mine actually ships out. Definitely curious as to what priority order they'll use for shipping them. Order in which the backers signed up? Single-unit order first? Preference to multiple-unit orders? I'm unfortunately figuring I won't get mine until well into March. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will come in around my birthday. :P
Ashyukun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:51 PM   #17
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingramLee View Post
but I mean... must we be THAT connected to our technology???
Hand in your nerd/geek card.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:00 PM   #18
peskaa
macrumors 68020

Ahhh finally. Eagerly awaiting my Pebble in black, it has been a long long wait since the Kickstarter closed.
peskaa is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:06 PM   #19
needfx
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Hand in your nerd/geek card.
lolz-worthy comment commentary!!
needfx is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:10 PM   #20
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a

I like the idea, but I don't think I want to take off my existing time piece. Very tough for the geek in me.

I'll wait for the next gen and more integration/acceptance before I consider again.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:13 PM   #21
Scooz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
You just destroyed my idea of "price after tax"...
Scooz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:19 PM   #22
d-klumpp
macrumors newbie

Real watches don't use batteries

Not only am I puzzled by the concept of a cheesy electronic watch, what's the point of having a remote screen for my phone a phone that's rarely more than an arm's length away??

Real watches are usually Swiss and are always mechanical. Unless one is training for a marathon, to be caught with something else is an embarrassment.

Dave
d-klumpp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:21 PM   #23
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Yes. It's not retina. It's e-ink.

I think it's a great project - and certainly seems to be better than previously released similar-type watches.
Technically and legally, the screen is e-paper, not e-ink. Similar, but different. The screen in the Pebble is manufactured by Sharp and doesn't use e-Ink's technology and isn't licensed by e-Ink.

Looking forward to getting mine. Once they were Xmas gifts, now birthday, Mother's Day and graduation gifts. Funny how the timing of it all worked out in the end. That is, of course, unless Apple announces a watch this Spring. Then I'm doomed again.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:24 PM   #24
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
I missed the kickstarter but I pre ordered as soon as I saw the potential.

It's an amazingly cheap and cool way to be connected and personalise the whole 'watch' experience.

There are other more premium smart watches but they are stupid prices.

I am quite happy to give them $119 to see how much I enjoy having it. Shame I've got to wait another 2 or 3 months though by the looks of it!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:32 PM   #25
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashyukun View Post
I'm glad we finally have a ship date for them- but I'm also worried about how long it will be until mine actually ships out. Definitely curious as to what priority order they'll use for shipping them. Order in which the backers signed up? Single-unit order first? Preference to multiple-unit orders?
Wondering the same myself. Hoping I get included on some of the earlier shipments so I get it before I move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskaa View Post
Ahhh finally. Eagerly awaiting my Pebble in black, it has been a long long wait since the Kickstarter closed.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-klumpp View Post
Not only am I puzzled by the concept of a cheesy electronic watch, what's the point of having a remote screen for my phone a phone that's rarely more than an arm's length away??

Real watches are usually Swiss and are always mechanical. Unless one is training for a marathon, to be caught with something else is an embarrassment.

Dave
This conversation again? Do we really need to re-hash this everytime another post is made about a smart watch?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion