Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:24 AM   #1
bear1992
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 verizon nano sim

I had my verizon iphone 5 stolen. i still have the nano sim because it was not in it at the time. a friend has offered me an unlocked at&t iphone 4s. i understand that the sim cards for the two are different sizes but i have an adapter to overcome that.

my question is: will the verizon nano sim be compatible with the unlocked at&t 4s? i have heard contradicting things and am not sure what to believe
bear1992 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:40 AM   #2
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1992 View Post
I had my verizon iphone 5 stolen. i still have the nano sim because it was not in it at the time. a friend has offered me an unlocked at&t iphone 4s. i understand that the sim cards for the two are different sizes but i have an adapter to overcome that.

my question is: will the verizon nano sim be compatible with the unlocked at&t 4s? i have heard contradicting things and am not sure what to believe
Not normally as Verizon is CDMA and that does not work for the SIM. At least that was my experience on the 4s, but it may be different.
HiddenPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:42 AM   #3
bear1992
macrumors newbie

im not saying you're incorrect because i am really quite clueless on this stuff but i thought because the iphone 5 does use a sim, whereas older verizon phones did not, it was compatible with the gsm and the cdma?

thanks for your help, also. im new to using these type of things haha
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:46 AM   #4
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
im not saying you're incorrect because i am really quite clueless on this stuff but i thought because the iphone 5 does use a sim, whereas older verizon phones did not, it was compatible with the gsm and the cdma?

thanks for your help, also. im new to using these type of things haha
I can take my Verizon iPhone 5 to AT&T and use their SIM, I don't think I can use the Verizon SIM in an AT&T. The 4s from Verizon does use a SIM, but it is only for foreign service.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
bear1992
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenPuppy View Post
I can take my Verizon iPhone 5 to AT&T and use their SIM, I don't think I can use the Verizon SIM in an AT&T. The 4s from Verizon does use a SIM, but it is only for foreign service.
so what your saying is even though i have a Verizon SIM and the at&t uses SIM, it still wont work? forgive me, all of this is jibberish to me
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:12 AM   #6
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
so what your saying is even though i have a Verizon SIM and the at&t uses SIM, it still wont work? forgive me, all of this is jibberish to me
That is the way I understand it. A Verizon iPHone 5 can use an AT&T SIM, but will not get LTE, but an AT&T phone cannot use a Verizon SIM as the VERizon SIM also depends on CDMA.

To be really honest, it is all so confusing that we don't all use the same system. Don't know why they have to be so complicated.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:16 AM   #7
bear1992
macrumors newbie

Quote:
That is the way I understand it. A Verizon iPHone 5 can use an AT&T SIM, but will not get LTE, but an AT&T phone cannot use a Verizon SIM as the VERizon SIM also depends on CDMA.

To be really honest, it is all so confusing that we don't all use the same system. Don't know why they have to be so complicated.

haha ok. will it ruin my existing sim if i try it? or will it simply not work
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:17 AM   #8
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
haha ok. will it ruin my existing sim if i try it? or will it simply not work
Don't think it will hurt anything, and who knows, it might just work. That would be great for you!!!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:27 AM   #9
bear1992
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Don't think it will hurt anything, and who knows, it might just work. That would be great for you!!!
haha fingers crossed. if it works, i will post about it. thanks for being so helpful! take care
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:30 PM   #10
chargit
macrumors 6502a

dont waste your time it WILL NOT WORK. The verizon 5 is unlocked from the factory to use other sims like At&T but the At&t 4s will not work with a verizon sim even if it is unlocked. and other posters are correct it is because of the networks. sorry!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:09 PM   #11
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargit View Post
dont waste your time it WILL NOT WORK. The verizon 5 is unlocked from the factory to use other sims like At&T but the At&t 4s will not work with a verizon sim even if it is unlocked. and other posters are correct it is because of the networks. sorry!
Thanks for the confirmation, I thought that was the case, but since I have never tried it,did not want to be too positive about it not working
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:02 PM   #12
C DM
macrumors G5

Verizon's SIM is there really for Verizon's LTE service and essentially nothing more, so it won't do much in a phone from another carrier.
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:00 PM   #13
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
haha fingers crossed. if it works, i will post about it. thanks for being so helpful! take care
It's never going to work. There is no if.
The sim is only there for LTE access to Verizon's network. The 4S doesn't have LTE and off course verizon is CDMA that again is not present inside an AT&T 4S.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting