Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:42 AM   #26
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

I am guessing a buy for if you like the song currently streaming?

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:44 AM   #27
drlunanerd
macrumors 65816

Hope they're also going to redesign the iPad Music app as it's awful
drlunanerd is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:49 AM   #28
bobob
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
Apple has been adding antennas to every gen iPhone, and they need to add something to the next iPhone other than NFC.
The rumor was that NFC was not added to the iPhone 5 because it's antenna would have changed the device's sleek design.

So if they're adding NFC to one of the next generations of iPhones, perhaps an FM antenna will be even less likely.
bobob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:53 AM   #29
chago04
macrumors newbie

Seems to me this would cut a chunk out of Shazam. Why would I need that if I can listen to the radio and tag and buy the song all in the same place?
chago04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:55 AM   #30
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Some of the more persistent iPhone 5S rumors, indicate a rather minor upgrade this time around. An improved camera, and now a radio. Two features that will have universal appeal to seniors. One of Apples more loyal group of customers. While it's nothing that I find appealing, I'm simply not old enough to find those compelling additions.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:57 AM   #31
addicted44
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post
This is what I really want, but apple isn't going to do it just so it isn't competition for their Internet one
You mean the internet radio they haven't actually had for the past 12 years they have been selling iPods?

Why didn't they place radios in their ipods/iphones before then (other than in 1 notable exception)?

Instead of coming up with ridiculous conspiracies, why wouldnt people accept the simple answer, which is that (a) it takes up room (b) adds cost (c) terrestrial radio is barely used outside of your car, and almost every car already has a radio in it.
addicted44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:04 AM   #32
Carlanga
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by macintel4me View Post
That's an ugly icon, IMO. Not very Apple-like.
don't worry all apple testing icons are bad looking, see prototypes of iOS devices software for example.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:07 AM   #33
Yelmurc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Although, knowing Apple this will be a paid service, unlike all the ad-supported competitors out there like Pandora and Spotify.
I've always wondered why Apple hasn't really put in much effort into iAds. I figured between Podcast, TV, Movies, Radio. They could really build something and help the content owners monetize there content.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:09 AM   #34
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

The icon is so enlarged that it becomes pixelated, and then resampled so that it becomes blurred on top of that. I find it hard to tell anything about its aesthetics. Also, it might be a placeholder icon.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:10 AM   #35
voyagerd
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to voyagerd Send a message via MSN to voyagerd Send a message via Yahoo to voyagerd Send a message via Skype™ to voyagerd
The icons look like they were made by a potato.
voyagerd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:13 AM   #36
ovrlrd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by codefuns View Post
I don't think cost or antenna is the problem, remember zune has radio but with a much smaller body and without antenna. And for the function, I think FM radio is really useful, it can let you know what happens around you, the ads you may want, traffic, accident around you, radio is not all about music.
Actually the Zune definitely had an antenna, more than one of them. I am not saying it isn't possible for Apple to fit an antenna, just that it is yet another cost during development that they have to consider. You don't just throw an antenna in these devices, every millimeter is carefully considered and requires a lot of effort to develop. Adding an FM antenna might be a small part that costs less than a penny, but it costs tons more to add it in.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:15 AM   #37
EwanMcTeagle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post
You mean the internet radio they haven't actually had for the past 12 years they have been selling iPods?

Why didn't they place radios in their ipods/iphones before then (other than in 1 notable exception)?

Instead of coming up with ridiculous conspiracies, why wouldnt people accept the simple answer, which is that (a) it takes up room (b) adds cost (c) terrestrial radio is barely used outside of your car, and almost every car already has a radio in it.
I don't know, maybe you're right, yet there are smartphones (like my girlfriend's HTC) that have FM radio - the antenna is in the headphones as I presume. And it could've been the same in iPhones. I wouldn't complain if I had radio on my iPhone. Then again the lack of it wasn't a deal-breaker for me, but it was and is for my girlfriend, who listens to FM radio a lot since she's traveling by train (no WiFi there) a lot.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:18 AM   #38
picciano
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcard View Post
Ostrich foot?
No, Ostrich only have two toes.
picciano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:24 AM   #39
philr5150
macrumors member

"...the name of these button files and are labelled with ‘buy’ in the filename which could imply exciting new functionality."

Yes, being able to buy something is always exciting.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post
t (c) terrestrial radio is barely used outside of your car, and almost every car already has a radio in it.

That's almost a circular argument; if it existed on iPods / iPhones people who aren't in cars might use it (at work, on the bus, waiting in line for something etc).
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:26 AM   #40
Jetson
macrumors 6502a

I don't want Pandora radio.

I want REAL radio !!!

Why won't Apple place a radio receiver in these devices???

In case of emergency I would like to go to my iPad/iPod and be able to tune emergency radio stations for news. Chances are radio will be available in emergencies whereas the cell phone internet networks won't be.

Also I would love to be able to explore the world of shortwave.

Is Apple SO driven by profit that they are afraid that a radio will cut into their revenue stream? Say what you will, at least Microsoft built a radio into the Zune.
Jetson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:27 AM   #41
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

I wonder if Pandora, Spotify and Rdio are worried?
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:28 AM   #42
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
What would be totally cool would be the ability to access Sirius/XM radio direct from satellite on an iPhone without using a data plan. I would buy that in a heartbeat.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:30 AM   #43
xero9
macrumors 6502

I'm surprised at the number of people who listen to FM still..

I use Pandora in my car through my iPhone for 90% of the in-car listening. The other 10% I'll listen to music actually on my phone. Never do I turn FM on.
xero9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:32 AM   #44
marc7654
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuNacho View Post
Instead of some internet radio they could just stick a normal radio in them like every other smartphone in the world.
And it would be trivial to do a "Shazam" like recognition of the song being played over the air to let you buy it from iTunes. Maybe they would even incorporate a Radio DVR like option.
marc7654 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:35 AM   #45
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by xero9 View Post
I'm surprised at the number of people who listen to FM still..

I use Pandora in my car through my iPhone for 90% of the in-car listening. The other 10% I'll listen to music actually on my phone. Never do I turn FM on.
If there's a good radio station, it's nice to have a human DJ picking songs.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:40 AM   #46
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlrd View Post
Anyway, even with "hidden" FM radios there isn't much reason for them to enable them without antennas to make them work. You can't have a radio work without an antenna, so the additional cost of that (not to mention the space it takes up) basically means it isn't really worth it. It always amazes me how people forget about this. I guess people are used to ignoring how things work because it's all hidden to the user.
Most smartphones and other PMP devices... including the iPod Nano... use the wire in your headphones as an FM antenna. No additional component needed.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:42 AM   #47
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson View Post
Because they can't put a 30% iTunes tax on radio waves.
The same reason there is no BD on Macs and SD slot on iGizmos.
It's brilliant, really.
Bubba Satori is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:43 AM   #48
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson View Post
I don't want Pandora radio.

I want REAL radio !!!

They probably don't think people will use it, so why add something people won't use?

Quote:
In case of emergency I would like to go to my iPad/iPod and be able to tune emergency radio stations for news. Chances are radio will be available in emergencies whereas the cell phone internet networks won't be.
Do you have evidence to suggest "chances are"? You may be right, but modern cellular networks are more sophisticated and multi-layered (LTE, 3G, 2G) than FM/AM radio. You're not wrong, it would be nice to have both, but I don't think anyone is betting that we'll get absolutely no service.

Quote:
Is Apple SO driven by profit that they are afraid that a radio will cut into their revenue stream? Say what you will, at least Microsoft built a radio into the Zune.
Definitely not. You can get almost all Top 40 radio stations without an actual radio through online streaming, you can get pandora radio through online streaming. Truth of the matter is, most radio is a dying breed. Outside of all-talk news and sports, SiriusXM talk stations (political, Howard Stern, Opie & Anthony), music streaming is destroying the radio industry.

Quote:
Say what you will, at least Microsoft built a radio into the Zune.
Where can I get one of those?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:44 AM   #49
M-O
macrumors 6502

internet radio has been on the Apple TV for years. I've always wondered why they didn't put it on the other iOS devices.
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:49 AM   #50
rmwebs
Banned

Only 3 years late Apple. Get with the program.
rmwebs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion