Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:56 PM   #51
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

The iPod have long had a radio chip in them, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the devices have them too. Why don't they enable it once and for all?
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:58 PM   #52
marsmissions
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlrd View Post
Just to be clear, are you talking about FM radio? Because every iDevice out there has radios in them, otherwise you wouldn't get WiFi or cellular.

Anyway, even with "hidden" FM radios there isn't much reason for them to enable them without antennas to make them work. You can't have a radio work without an antenna, so the additional cost of that (not to mention the space it takes up) basically means it isn't really worth it. It always amazes me how people forget about this. I guess people are used to ignoring how things work because it's all hidden to the user.

Internet radio (Spotify, Rdio, Pandora) is the future anyway, it is where the real money is going, and Apple is not stupid to ignore that.
The headphones can be used as an antenna. It has been done MANY times.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:01 PM   #53
samcraig
macrumors G5

Horrible icon. And I'm not one to typically comment on stuff like this - but it's antiquated at best and just bad at worst.

Those buttons look as if they are "add station" buttons. If this is what not using skeuomorphism is going to be like - bring it back
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:02 PM   #54
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmissions View Post
The headphones can be used as an antenna. It has been done MANY times.

Have one of these on my iPod Classic.
Works great.
You would think that if they were driven by profits they could just manufacturer it again and write an app for the phone.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:04 PM   #55
ovrlrd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
Most smartphones and other PMP devices... including the iPod Nano... use the wire in your headphones as an FM antenna. No additional component needed.
They still require additional components to be made for it to work, it certainly saves more space than a separate antenna, but that simply won't work for a device like an iPhone or iPad where you are expected to support the speakers built into the device. Even the iPod won't work with FM if you plug it into a dock, and also they won't work without the iPod specific headphones (which cost more to produce). If Apple put the same requirement on the iPhone and iPad people would just be complaining about that instead of the complete lack of FM. Replace one complaint with another, it's not a solution.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:05 PM   #56
stevedun
macrumors member

I'd much rather see an AM receiver built in. I don't wanna ditch my iPhone 5 when the zombie apocalypse hits.
stevedun is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:07 PM   #57
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
So... why is this needed?
Same thing I was thinking. You could easily use an app or even stream from a stations web page.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:10 PM   #58
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post

Have one of these on my iPod Classic.
Works great.
You would think that if they were driven by profits they could just manufacturer it again and write an app for the phone.
You don't even need one of those anymore. As long as the tuner is built into the device... which it is thanks to Broadcom... all you need is a pair of headphones to act as the antenna. That's how it works in the iPod Nano.

----------

Quote:
They still require additional components to be made for it to work, it certainly saves more space than a separate antenna, but that simply won't work for a device like an iPhone or iPad where you are expected to support the speakers built into the device. Even the iPod won't work with FM if you plug it into a dock, and also they won't work without the iPod specific headphones (which cost more to produce). If Apple put the same requirement on the iPhone and iPad people would just be complaining about that instead of the complete lack of FM. Replace one complaint with another, it's not a solution.
It's better to have nothing rather than something because people are going to complain either way? That really doesn't make a lick of sense.

And it's not like Apple hasn't required something plugged in for certain functionality before. To take voice memos on the older (third gen and before) iPod touches and newer iPod Nanos an appropirately equipped headset must be used, as these devices lack a built-in microphone.

Last edited by APlotdevice; Feb 5, 2013 at 02:04 PM.
APlotdevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:12 PM   #59
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by macintel4me View Post
That's an ugly icon, IMO. Not very Apple-like.
Could be a placeholder until they make the actual icon. Resolution doesn't look appropriate for a Retina Display either.

I can't see the actual resolution but I doubt a @2x PNG weighting 2 kB is the real deal, unless they're being super-super small, in fact too small to be an appropriate touch target.
pgiguere1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:19 PM   #60
jacksonkeller
macrumors member

That logo looks a lot like the old RKO Radio Pictures logo.

youtube.com/watch?v=CH4JOT3Y_Q8
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:20 PM   #61
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What other components are needed? The FM Radio? The cellular radio chip can handle FM Radio signals and as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, the particular one Apple uses for its phones supports it.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:20 PM   #62
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
So... why is this needed?
Partners AT&T, Verizon, Sprint etc are not making enough a windfall with the "stream everything from the cloud" mindset. So now, "big innovations" are going to be other features that have to burn data to function. Note where the focus has been recently:
  • Siri- must have an internet connection to function
  • imessage- must have an internet connection to (sort of) function
  • Maps- must have an internet connection to function
  • Facebook integration- must have an internet connection to function
  • Shared Photo Streams- must have an internet connection to function

And don't forget the recent "approval" by some of the 3G/4G tollmasters to "allow" Facetime functionality. How nice of them to let us burn through more data if we like (when we could already do the same with various other Facetime-like apps).

If you want to guess the next big (software) things from Apple, think about what else depends on streaming data to work. I suspect AT&T, Verizon, etc brains are making a steady stream of pitches to Apple for ideas that are data-hungry. "Siri, read War & Peace or the Encyclopedia to me aloud." Etc.

Everything seems to be increasingly streaming-data intensive. Why do we need this from Apple when we already have good versions of it from other players like Pandora? I wonder if there is some secret goal for all iDevices to achieve a certain amount of 3G/4G usage via Apple apps? Maybe the subsidy depends on it? Or maybe the subsidy will be better if Apple can move it's following to burn through even more 3G/4G data?

Burn that data, burn. Pay those 3G/4G tolls, pay them. Isn't the cloud wonderful?

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Feb 5, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:21 PM   #63
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

Please add local FM and AM stations, but I am sure Clear Channel not going to allow Apple to that those bastards.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:24 PM   #64
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Same thing I was thinking. You could easily use an app or even stream from a stations web page.
What if you could right click on an artist in your iTunes library and make a pandora style radio station ?
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:25 PM   #65
huntercr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsMkLg068426 View Post
Please add local FM and AM stations, but I am sure Clear Channel not going to allow Apple to that those bastards.
Yeah they won't because they already have their own app, iHeartRadio. It is a limited, but surprisingly not annoying app.
huntercr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:31 PM   #66
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Oh please, radio makes the vast majority of it's money from the sale of commercials. More ears being able to hear local stations means more enticements for those who buy commercials. If Apple- or anyone- wanted to expand the number the ears listening, radio companies would be all over it trying to grease the wheels.

iHeartRadio is about trying to remain relevant in a world where the audience is turning away from "old fashioned" radio. Radio stations would love it if Apple just built radio into the core apps available on every iDevice.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:32 PM   #67
testcard
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by picciano View Post
No, Ostrich only have two toes.
iOstrich has three. It just works. Better.
testcard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:35 PM   #68
BobbyCat
macrumors regular

So this new radio thing is the reason why they took away iTunes DJ from us?

iTunes DJ was real cool and we could spend days and months exploring all the music we already have, in many new ways.

Now we're gonna get something similar, but we'll have to pay for it, and oh, great improvement, we'll be able to buy the songs (at 256 kbps) ... that we'll be allowed to listen only on the purchasing device.

If that's really what's coming, I'd rather stick to existing listener supported internet radios like Radio Paradise, and keep on helping friendly folks.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:35 PM   #69
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuNacho View Post
Instead of some internet radio they could just stick a normal radio in them like every other smartphone in the world.
There's absolutely nothing on the radio worth listening to in Atlanta any more.... no big loss.
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:41 PM   #70
Risco
macrumors 65816

When Apple launch this it will sink almost every streaming radio service such as Pandora and Spotify as they won't be able to compete.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:41 PM   #71
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
But with a real radio you get both. My old Nokia Lumia 900 had a built in radio and even though half of my journey I was at "No Service" it continued to pickup the radio flawlessly.
Well that's true.
Alright McKay, you've got 5 minutes to come up with a cell phone that never loses reception or we're all dead.
RoboCop001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:44 PM   #72
BobbyCat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobesounddarryl View Post
"siri, read war & peace or the encyclopedia to me aloud."
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:44 PM   #73
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
When Apple launch this it will sink almost every streaming radio service such as Pandora and Spotify as they won't be able to compete.
And- if true- that's good because???
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:51 PM   #74
Risco
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
And- if true- that's good because???
I was not saying whether it was good or bad, rather that it's inveitable.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:52 PM   #75
RyanR.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonMac50 View Post
The iPod have long had a radio chip in them, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the devices have them too. Why don't they enable it once and for all?
Because they didn't have the button to do so ..... now they do
RyanR. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion