Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:49 AM   #1
davidg4781
macrumors 65816
 
davidg4781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moulton, TX
Is this a good deal on a PowerMac G4?

Found this on the Craig's List.

PowerMac G4, Dual 1.42GHz, 2 X 120GB HDD, 2GB RAM, superdrive and CD burner (doesn't interest me either way), 17" Apple ADC LCD, Apple Pro Speakers for $175.

Said he has a keyboard and mouse but wasn't including them because they're pretty beat up and repaired and stuff.

Seems a bit steep as I was finding a lot of PowerMacs for $100, but this comes with the speakers and monitor.

I think I may pass on it though, I'd rather have a bluetooth adaptor for my car instead, and I think that's going to be about the same cost.
__________________
2010 MBP 13" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 750GB HDD iMac G4 20" 1.25GHZ 1.5GB RAM 140GB HDD
iPhone 5S 4" 32GB Apple TV 3rd gen
davidg4781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
That does seem a little expensive.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:57 AM   #3
davidg4781
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
davidg4781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moulton, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
That does seem a little expensive.
That's what I'm thinking, plus it's well out of my way. Although I do live out in the middle of nowheresville.
__________________
2010 MBP 13" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 750GB HDD iMac G4 20" 1.25GHZ 1.5GB RAM 140GB HDD
iPhone 5S 4" 32GB Apple TV 3rd gen
davidg4781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Navare
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stoke on Trent
Depending on the condition of the monitor and specs....you could say that's $50 no?

Or save your cash and hold out for a G5 entry level?

Good luck

N.
Navare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:42 PM   #5
davidg4781
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
davidg4781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moulton, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navare View Post
Depending on the condition of the monitor and specs....you could say that's $50 no?

Or save your cash and hold out for a G5 entry level?

Good luck

N.
I'm leaning towards the G4 for the ADC and Apple Pro Speakers. Just something I thought was neat for it's time. I also was wanting to be able to boot into OS 9 but this won't allow it, but I think it will under Classic.

It's mainly for hobby use, maybe some casual game playing until I get bored. I have a great MBP that I use for everything else.
__________________
2010 MBP 13" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 750GB HDD iMac G4 20" 1.25GHZ 1.5GB RAM 140GB HDD
iPhone 5S 4" 32GB Apple TV 3rd gen
davidg4781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Navare
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Stoke on Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
I'm leaning towards the G4 for the ADC and Apple Pro Speakers. Just something I thought was neat for it's time. I also was wanting to be able to boot into OS 9 but this won't allow it, but I think it will under Classic.

It's mainly for hobby use, maybe some casual game playing until I get bored. I have a great MBP that I use for everything else.
In that case go for it fella...I love my G5 Digital Audio and the pro speakers are very nice...

N.
Navare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:55 PM   #7
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
I also was wanting to be able to boot into OS 9 but this won't allow it, but I think it will under Classic.
It will with classic up to 10.4.11. You can also use Sheepshaver, which (I believe) runs the entire Mac OS in a window. I would recommend the DP1.25 with firewire. Same Max OS, lower minimum.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:37 PM   #8
blesscheese
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central CA
To each their own, but...for a computer and monitor, if you figured how much it would cost to ship the thing, the total price isn't that bad. If it is in good shape, it might be worth it.
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:49 PM   #9
davidg4781
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
davidg4781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moulton, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by blesscheese View Post
To each their own, but...for a computer and monitor, if you figured how much it would cost to ship the thing, the total price isn't that bad. If it is in good shape, it might be worth it.
I'd have to go pick it up, it's about 2 hours away.
__________________
2010 MBP 13" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 750GB HDD iMac G4 20" 1.25GHZ 1.5GB RAM 140GB HDD
iPhone 5S 4" 32GB Apple TV 3rd gen
davidg4781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:14 PM   #10
wobegong
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
I loved my MDD Dual 1.42 back in the day.....Howled like a typhoon when it had to work hard but I loved it.....

Personally I'd go for this ONLY if it was in tip-top condition and maybe only if the ACD was 20"+
wobegong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:29 AM   #11
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Do note that the MDD you're looking at on here can't run OS 9 unless it's in Tiger's Classic environment.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:20 AM   #12
davidg4781
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
davidg4781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moulton, TX
I've been selling stuff on eBay lately and decided to check on there. It looks like that's not really a good place to buy them.

There's a PowerMac/Display combo in Austin, but it doesn't come with any discs. It does have Photoshop and a bunch of other cool stuff, which is worthless to me if I don't have the discs.

Others, once you factor in shipping, come out kind of expensive and I'd still have to purchase display, keyboard, mouse, and power cord. I have a Leopard disc I'm not using so I have that covered.
__________________
2010 MBP 13" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 750GB HDD iMac G4 20" 1.25GHZ 1.5GB RAM 140GB HDD
iPhone 5S 4" 32GB Apple TV 3rd gen
davidg4781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:42 AM   #13
g4manimac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Arkansas
I sell on ebay too,just wait it out and you WILL find a good deal.I get some really good deals but sometimes items go up in demand and get stupid prices especially apple products.
g4manimac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:45 AM   #14
davidg4781
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
davidg4781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moulton, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4manimac View Post
I sell on ebay too,just wait it out and you WILL find a good deal.I get some really good deals but sometimes items go up in demand and get stupid prices especially apple products.
I see some with great prices, then you have those that have them posted up for $300 to $400.
__________________
2010 MBP 13" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 750GB HDD iMac G4 20" 1.25GHZ 1.5GB RAM 140GB HDD
iPhone 5S 4" 32GB Apple TV 3rd gen
davidg4781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:37 PM   #15
skateny
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
I've been selling stuff on eBay lately and decided to check on there. It looks like that's not really a good place to buy them.

There's a PowerMac/Display combo in Austin, but it doesn't come with any discs. It does have Photoshop and a bunch of other cool stuff, which is worthless to me if I don't have the discs.

Others, once you factor in shipping, come out kind of expensive and I'd still have to purchase display, keyboard, mouse, and power cord. I have a Leopard disc I'm not using so I have that covered.
Yeah, the prices on eBay are often unrealistic for PowerPCs. And they rarely come with discs. I don't know if people lose them, just want to keep them or sell them separately to make a profit.

I've looked around for a few months for a late model PowerBook, but I'd just as soon use the money towards a MacBook Pro, when the time comes. Some of the iBooks/PowerBooks have been just crazy: no HDD, broken display and no AC adapter for ~$200. It doesn't make sense.
__________________
Etcha-Sketch, Classic Red; Kenner Easy-Show Projector, First Gen.
skateny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:51 PM   #16
MacuserinMSland
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pac NW
I picked up a Dual 800 G4 Quicksilver a year and a half ago off of my local Craigslist. That was $70 cash, I was able to source a 17" ADC Studio Display for $40. Some additional Ram, and Pro Speakers. All told I shelled out around $150 for a very clean G4.

I think $150 is not unreasonable if its in good shape. eBay has been crazy with prices on Almost everything, i think people get too caught up in the bidding war.
__________________
Late '08 Macbook 2.1GHz, Early '06 15" Macbook Pro 1.83 GHz, SP 1.8GHz G5 Powermac, Dual 800MHz G4 Powermac, 500MHz G3 snow white iBook, 16GB iPhone 4, 16GB iPad Wifi.
MacuserinMSland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:11 AM   #17
g4manimac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Arkansas
Trust me I know about those ones for $400 those are the high rated sellers up on the front pages they've been selling for years and made ebay thousands upon thousands so they get the "right" to be seen first.I got an almost mint one for $120 and then my wife's birthday was coming up and she wanted one so I didnt have time to look and kinda hastily spent $170 on one that was also in great condition.What really made me mad was when I went back a week later and I seen one buy it now,one owner in the box and it had the install disc which I need and everything else it came with ,he even had the receipt from the apple store where he paid like over $3,000 or somethin for it and that was $170 with free shipping but I decided any more money spent on powerbooks would'nt be smart,but if you do an ADVANCED search first put in all buy it now,free shipping,your set price and within so many miles of your house your gonna eventually come across somethin that fits you perfect. These prices might surely sound pricey to some but around here there is no apple in craigslist actually very few computers and 3/4 are scammers.
g4manimac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:06 AM   #18
davidg4781
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
davidg4781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moulton, TX
Blah.

Now there's one, $200, great condition, MDD, 1.25 DP, with boxes and everything. So very tempting!!

Just curious, how would this be doing video capture/small editing from VHS to DVD? I'm guessing my MBP would be more efficient and I'd be better off getting an external monitor and keyboard.
__________________
2010 MBP 13" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 750GB HDD iMac G4 20" 1.25GHZ 1.5GB RAM 140GB HDD
iPhone 5S 4" 32GB Apple TV 3rd gen
davidg4781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:39 AM   #19
seveej
macrumors 6502a
 
seveej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
PowerMac G4, Dual 1.42GHz, 2 X 120GB HDD, 2GB RAM, superdrive and CD burner (doesn't interest me either way), 17" Apple ADC LCD, Apple Pro Speakers for $175.
True, the 175 is slightly high for that setup, but if you like the parts (especially the monitor and speakers), it's not a back package. So if you either *really want* it, or have use for it, it's a nice setup...

RGDS,
__________________
MP 3,1 'nuff RAM, 3 HDD's, 1 SSD, AMD 5770, 10.6
2009 Mini, as server
, and a lot of other gear.
seveej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:48 AM   #20
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
Blah.

Now there's one, $200, great condition, MDD, 1.25 DP, with boxes and everything. So very tempting!!

Just curious, how would this be doing video capture/small editing from VHS to DVD? I'm guessing my MBP would be more efficient and I'd be better off getting an external monitor and keyboard.
Is it a FireWire 400 or 800? The 400s can boot OS9, the 800s can't. I think you would be OK with Video Capture. The VHS tapes would have to be played back at 1x speed, which would be the main limiting factor.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:21 PM   #21
davidg4781
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
davidg4781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moulton, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Is it a FireWire 400 or 800? The 400s can boot OS9, the 800s can't. I think you would be OK with Video Capture. The VHS tapes would have to be played back at 1x speed, which would be the main limiting factor.
I can't tell from the pics or description and I didn't think to ask him. And I'm somewhat alright not being able to boot to OS 9. My main goal with getting a PowerMac G4 is just to kind of play around with it, maybe do some older gaming, and either keep it as a piece of history or sell it.

Using my MBP (in signature) I'd have to play the VHS back at 1x speed as well, so not much difference there. I was just wondering since, way back then, this was a pretty powerful machine. And back then people were converting VHS to DVD. I just wasn't sure if there'd be that much benefit using my MBP.
__________________
2010 MBP 13" 2.4GHz 4GB RAM 750GB HDD iMac G4 20" 1.25GHZ 1.5GB RAM 140GB HDD
iPhone 5S 4" 32GB Apple TV 3rd gen
davidg4781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:09 PM   #22
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
I can't tell from the pics or description and I didn't think to ask him. And I'm somewhat alright not being able to boot to OS 9. My main goal with getting a PowerMac G4 is just to kind of play around with it, maybe do some older gaming, and either keep it as a piece of history or sell it.

Using my MBP (in signature) I'd have to play the VHS back at 1x speed as well, so not much difference there. I was just wondering since, way back then, this was a pretty powerful machine. And back then people were converting VHS to DVD. I just wasn't sure if there'd be that much benefit using my MBP.
That's what I meant by having to play at 1x- not too much stress on the CPU, wouldn't be any slower.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:42 PM   #23
davidg4781
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
davidg4781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moulton, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
That's what I meant by having to play at 1x- not too much stress on the CPU, wouldn't be any slower.
Sorry, maybe I'm confused. How would I play it back any faster. It will be played over s-video or component since I don't have a fancy player.
davidg4781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:55 PM   #24
Carrot Time
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg4781 View Post
Sorry, maybe I'm confused. How would I play it back any faster. It will be played over s-video or component since I don't have a fancy player.

Well, you can upgrade the GPU in Powermac G4's which is why, many people still use them nowadays. But all of them were built with DVI ports in them so you can use any Mac monitor to connect to it.
Carrot Time is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:57 PM   #25
davidg4781
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
davidg4781's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moulton, TX
And the guy said it's FW400. Argh.

But w went on to say how his audio friends swear by G4s and OS 9. And said these people put out albums.

That last bit turned me off.
davidg4781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purchasing MacBook Pro for Music Production- Is This MBP Good Enough/Good Deal? Goalyguy33 MacBook Pro 13 Aug 9, 2013 11:37 PM
PowerMac G5: Good deal? TorCoolguy PowerPC Macs 18 Feb 14, 2013 05:42 AM
PowerMac G4 MDD 867Mhz DP- $25 - good deal? davidg4781 PowerPC Macs 3 Oct 6, 2012 03:34 AM
Thinking of getting a PowerMac G5, is this a good deal? sucramdi PowerPC Macs 7 Sep 4, 2012 08:33 PM
Possibly a good deal on a PowerMac, Advice? DrPiDude Buying Tips and Advice 4 Jun 15, 2012 05:34 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC