Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Found this on the Craig's List.

PowerMac G4, Dual 1.42GHz, 2 X 120GB HDD, 2GB RAM, superdrive and CD burner (doesn't interest me either way), 17" Apple ADC LCD, Apple Pro Speakers for $175.

Said he has a keyboard and mouse but wasn't including them because they're pretty beat up and repaired and stuff.

Seems a bit steep as I was finding a lot of PowerMacs for $100, but this comes with the speakers and monitor.

I think I may pass on it though, I'd rather have a bluetooth adaptor for my car instead, and I think that's going to be about the same cost.

Navare

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Depending on the condition of the monitor and specs....you could say that's $50 no?

Or save your cash and hold out for a G5 entry level?

Good luck

N.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Depending on the condition of the monitor and specs....you could say that's $50 no?

Or save your cash and hold out for a G5 entry level?

Good luck

N.

I'm leaning towards the G4 for the ADC and Apple Pro Speakers. Just something I thought was neat for it's time. I also was wanting to be able to boot into OS 9 but this won't allow it, but I think it will under Classic.

It's mainly for hobby use, maybe some casual game playing until I get bored. I have a great MBP that I use for everything else.

Navare

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
Stoke on Trent
I'm leaning towards the G4 for the ADC and Apple Pro Speakers. Just something I thought was neat for it's time. I also was wanting to be able to boot into OS 9 but this won't allow it, but I think it will under Classic.

It's mainly for hobby use, maybe some casual game playing until I get bored. I have a great MBP that I use for everything else.

In that case go for it fella...I love my G5 Digital Audio and the pro speakers are very nice...

N.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I also was wanting to be able to boot into OS 9 but this won't allow it, but I think it will under Classic.

It will with classic up to 10.4.11. You can also use Sheepshaver, which (I believe) runs the entire Mac OS in a window. I would recommend the DP1.25 with firewire. Same Max OS, lower minimum.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
To each their own, but...for a computer and monitor, if you figured how much it would cost to ship the thing, the total price isn't that bad. If it is in good shape, it might be worth it.

wobegong

May 29, 2012
I loved my MDD Dual 1.42 back in the day.....Howled like a typhoon when it had to work hard but I loved it.....

Personally I'd go for this ONLY if it was in tip-top condition and maybe only if the ACD was 20"+

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Do note that the MDD you're looking at on here can't run OS 9 unless it's in Tiger's Classic environment.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I've been selling stuff on eBay lately and decided to check on there. It looks like that's not really a good place to buy them.

There's a PowerMac/Display combo in Austin, but it doesn't come with any discs. It does have Photoshop and a bunch of other cool stuff, which is worthless to me if I don't have the discs.

Others, once you factor in shipping, come out kind of expensive and I'd still have to purchase display, keyboard, mouse, and power cord. I have a Leopard disc I'm not using so I have that covered.

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
I sell on ebay too,just wait it out and you WILL find a good deal.I get some really good deals but sometimes items go up in demand and get stupid prices especially apple products.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I sell on ebay too,just wait it out and you WILL find a good deal.I get some really good deals but sometimes items go up in demand and get stupid prices especially apple products.

I see some with great prices, then you have those that have them posted up for $300 to $400.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
I've been selling stuff on eBay lately and decided to check on there. It looks like that's not really a good place to buy them.

There's a PowerMac/Display combo in Austin, but it doesn't come with any discs. It does have Photoshop and a bunch of other cool stuff, which is worthless to me if I don't have the discs.

Others, once you factor in shipping, come out kind of expensive and I'd still have to purchase display, keyboard, mouse, and power cord. I have a Leopard disc I'm not using so I have that covered.

Yeah, the prices on eBay are often unrealistic for PowerPCs. And they rarely come with discs. I don't know if people lose them, just want to keep them or sell them separately to make a profit.

I've looked around for a few months for a late model PowerBook, but I'd just as soon use the money towards a MacBook Pro, when the time comes. Some of the iBooks/PowerBooks have been just crazy: no HDD, broken display and no AC adapter for ~$200. It doesn't make sense.

MacuserinMSland

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
Pac NW
I picked up a Dual 800 G4 Quicksilver a year and a half ago off of my local Craigslist. That was $70 cash, I was able to source a 17" ADC Studio Display for $40. Some additional Ram, and Pro Speakers. All told I shelled out around $150 for a very clean G4.

I think $150 is not unreasonable if its in good shape. eBay has been crazy with prices on Almost everything, i think people get too caught up in the bidding war.

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
Trust me I know about those ones for $400 those are the high rated sellers up on the front pages they've been selling for years and made ebay thousands upon thousands so they get the "right" to be seen first.I got an almost mint one for $120 and then my wife's birthday was coming up and she wanted one so I didnt have time to look and kinda hastily spent $170 on one that was also in great condition.What really made me mad was when I went back a week later and I seen one buy it now,one owner in the box and it had the install disc which I need and everything else it came with ,he even had the receipt from the apple store where he paid like over $3,000 or somethin for it and that was $170 with free shipping but I decided any more money spent on powerbooks would'nt be smart,but if you do an ADVANCED search first put in all buy it now,free shipping,your set price and within so many miles of your house your gonna eventually come across somethin that fits you perfect. These prices might surely sound pricey to some but around here there is no apple in craigslist actually very few computers and 3/4 are scammers.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Blah.

Now there's one, $200, great condition, MDD, 1.25 DP, with boxes and everything. So very tempting!!

Just curious, how would this be doing video capture/small editing from VHS to DVD? I'm guessing my MBP would be more efficient and I'd be better off getting an external monitor and keyboard.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
PowerMac G4, Dual 1.42GHz, 2 X 120GB HDD, 2GB RAM, superdrive and CD burner (doesn't interest me either way), 17" Apple ADC LCD, Apple Pro Speakers for $175.

True, the 175 is slightly high for that setup, but if you like the parts (especially the monitor and speakers), it's not a back package. So if you either *really want* it, or have use for it, it's a nice setup...

RGDS,

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Blah.

Now there's one, $200, great condition, MDD, 1.25 DP, with boxes and everything. So very tempting!!

Just curious, how would this be doing video capture/small editing from VHS to DVD? I'm guessing my MBP would be more efficient and I'd be better off getting an external monitor and keyboard.

Is it a FireWire 400 or 800? The 400s can boot OS9, the 800s can't. I think you would be OK with Video Capture. The VHS tapes would have to be played back at 1x speed, which would be the main limiting factor.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Is it a FireWire 400 or 800? The 400s can boot OS9, the 800s can't. I think you would be OK with Video Capture. The VHS tapes would have to be played back at 1x speed, which would be the main limiting factor.

I can't tell from the pics or description and I didn't think to ask him. And I'm somewhat alright not being able to boot to OS 9. My main goal with getting a PowerMac G4 is just to kind of play around with it, maybe do some older gaming, and either keep it as a piece of history or sell it.

Using my MBP (in signature) I'd have to play the VHS back at 1x speed as well, so not much difference there. I was just wondering since, way back then, this was a pretty powerful machine. And back then people were converting VHS to DVD. I just wasn't sure if there'd be that much benefit using my MBP.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I can't tell from the pics or description and I didn't think to ask him. And I'm somewhat alright not being able to boot to OS 9. My main goal with getting a PowerMac G4 is just to kind of play around with it, maybe do some older gaming, and either keep it as a piece of history or sell it.

Using my MBP (in signature) I'd have to play the VHS back at 1x speed as well, so not much difference there. I was just wondering since, way back then, this was a pretty powerful machine. And back then people were converting VHS to DVD. I just wasn't sure if there'd be that much benefit using my MBP.

That's what I meant by having to play at 1x- not too much stress on the CPU, wouldn't be any slower.

Carrot Time

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
boston
Sorry, maybe I'm confused. How would I play it back any faster. It will be played over s-video or component since I don't have a fancy player.

Well, you can upgrade the GPU in Powermac G4's which is why, many people still use them nowadays. But all of them were built with DVI ports in them so you can use any Mac monitor to connect to it.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
And the guy said it's FW400. Argh.

But w went on to say how his audio friends swear by G4s and OS 9. And said these people put out albums.

That last bit turned me off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.