Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Myiphone7
Banned

If I have an AT&T iPhone 5 and it's been unlocked, can I put in a Verizon sim to chec

Can I put in a Verizon sim to check if it's unlocked?

Or a T-mobile sim that's inactivated?

What will it say in the top left corner?

Thanks in advance.
Myiphone7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:42 AM   #2
iParis
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to iParis Send a message via MSN to iParis
I'm pretty certain a Verizon SIM won't work as the GSM iPhone 5 lacks the CDMA hardware, scold me if I'm wrong. And yeah, if you've been told it's unlocked then a T-Mobile SIM should work and I believe it will say "T-Mobile" in the top left.
- MacBook C2D 2.4GHz / 8GB ram / 250GB HD / OS 10.10
iParis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iParis View Post
I'm pretty certain a Verizon SIM won't work as the GSM iPhone 5 lacks the CDMA hardware, scold me if I'm wrong. And yeah, if you've been told it's unlocked then a T-Mobile SIM should work and I believe it will say "T-Mobile" in the top left.
I read a Verizon iPhone 5 will work with an AT&T sim

And will it say tmobile even if the sim is unactivated?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:57 AM   #4
iParis
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to iParis Send a message via MSN to iParis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myiphone7 View Post
I read a Verizon iPhone 5 will work with an AT&T sim

And will it say tmobile even if the sim is unactivated?
An AT&T SIM will work in an Verizon iPhone 5, not including LTE, but a Verizon SIM won't work in an AT&T iPhone 5.
- MacBook C2D 2.4GHz / 8GB ram / 250GB HD / OS 10.10
iParis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iParis View Post
An AT&T SIM will work in an Verizon iPhone 5, not including LTE, but a Verizon SIM won't work in an AT&T iPhone 5.
Odd. I wonder why?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:21 PM   #6
CEmajr
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Odd. I wonder why?
Because Verizon still uses CDMA for voice and the AT&T iPhone 5 does not have a CDMA radio.
CEmajr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
Because Verizon still uses CDMA for voice and the AT&T iPhone 5 does not have a CDMA radio.
Makes sense.

I'm glad gsm is global makes unlocking an AT&T iPhone 5 worth it.

Does anyone know what my carrier will say if I purchase an unactivated t mobile sim to check if I'm unlocked?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:30 PM   #8
CEmajr
macrumors 68030

It will still say Tmobile.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:51 PM   #9
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Wow, sounds like the same discussion:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1537775
HiddenPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenPuppy View Post
Wow, sounds like the same discussion:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1537775
4S is different.

----------

Quote:
Thanks
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Odd. I wonder why?
Odd that you don't understand how different cell tech works? I'd say yes, but then again you never cease to amaze me with your threads....
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:07 PM   #12
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Makes sense.

I'm glad gsm is global makes unlocking an AT&T iPhone 5 worth it.

Does anyone know what my carrier will say if I purchase an unactivated t mobile sim to check if I'm unlocked?
AT&T wouldn't say anything about putting a T-mobile sim into the iPhone. Someday, they may contact you (unlikely) about why your iPhone got unlocked on contract--but it wouldn't be specifically because you swapped the sim.

I tested using an activated T-mobile sim and could send and receive texts, calls and data.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:27 PM   #13
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
4S is different.

----------

Thanks
He was talking about an iPhone 5 in the other thread too, I mentioned the 4s would not work as does the iPhone 5 because the 4s SIM chip is for foreign use only.
HiddenPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
AT&T wouldn't say anything about putting a T-mobile sim into the iPhone. Someday, they may contact you (unlikely) about why your iPhone got unlocked on contract--but it wouldn't be specifically because you swapped the sim.

I tested using an activated T-mobile sim and could send and receive texts, calls and data.
I don't care to use t mobile. I like AT&T's LTE and service.

But I want to check if its unlocked with a t mobile sim.

I hope it'll still work even if the t mobile sim is inactivated.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:13 PM   #15
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Odd. I wonder why?
Verizon's SIM is there really for Verizon's LTE service and essentially nothing more, so it won't do much in a phone from another carrier.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:47 AM   #16
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:

it will say No Service FYI....why would a unactivated SIM say T-Mobile on the top left....without signal bars....without service....

there's two of you that said it will say "T-Mobile" maybe u should do some research b4 misguiding ppl
Satnam1989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:29 AM   #17
CEmajr
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post
it will say No Service FYI....why would a unactivated SIM say T-Mobile on the top left....without signal bars....without service....

there's two of you that said it will say "T-Mobile" maybe u should do some research b4 misguiding ppl
Unactivated Tmobile sims DO say T-Mobile. I actually work for Tmobile so I see this everyday. The brand new ones we sell will say Tmobile at the top left when put into an iPhone even though service has not been activated yet. If you try to place a call it will direct you to customer care to activate the SIM card.

Don't confuse brand new unactivated SIM cards with a used deactivated SIM. A deactivated SIM will say 'no service' and if you try to place a call it won't do anything.
CEmajr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Myiphone7
Banned

Quote:
Unactivated Tmobile sims DO say T-Mobile. I actually work for Tmobile so I see this everyday. The brand new ones we sell will say Tmobile at the top left when put into an iPhone even though service has not been activated yet. If you try to place a call it will direct you to customer care to activate the SIM card.

Don't confuse brand new unactivated SIM cards with a used deactivated SIM. A deactivated SIM will say 'no service' and if you try to place a call it won't do anything.
Ok great.

Last edited by Myiphone7; Feb 6, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:33 PM   #19
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:

Thats something new its been a while since I used a T-mobile SIM, Last one I had was back little over a year ago and it didnt say T-Mobile, thanks for clarifying.
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:10 PM   #20
kevrunner
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Is this still the case? I just unlocked (confirmed unlocked with Apple) an AT&T iPhone 5 and am have an unactivated T-Mobile nano-sim in it currently. Unfortunately, it is showing up with no signal in the top left instead of T-Mobile. Both through T-Mobile chat and calling the store they said the sim needs to be activated with a number in order to pick up the signal.

Can anyone provide a final verdict?
kevrunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:04 AM   #21
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrunner View Post
Is this still the case? I just unlocked (confirmed unlocked with Apple) an AT&T iPhone 5 and am have an unactivated T-Mobile nano-sim in it currently. Unfortunately, it is showing up with no signal in the top left instead of T-Mobile. Both through T-Mobile chat and calling the store they said the sim needs to be activated with a number in order to pick up the signal.

Can anyone provide a final verdict?
an unactivated SIM card, when inserted into an unlocked iphone will say "No Service". the phone will recognize the fact that a SIM has been inserted as long as its unlocked. the only time it will show the carrier logo instead of "No Service" is if the card is active and connects/registers with a cell tower.

if you venture out of cell range, the phone will also say "No Service" instead of the carrier name, since its not connected to a tower anymore. same thing.

i have personally put my old at&t SIM card, which is deactivated, into my Verizon iphone 5. the phone will say "Searching.." then change to "No Service" once it sees the card inactive. however, in the phones about screen, it does indeed acknowledge the SIM as being at&t and says so in the carrier info part.

bottom line is the phone WILL NOT say the carrier name of the SIM card unless its active and connected to a tower, since thats where it gets the carrier identifier from.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 05:34 AM   #22
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
Can I put in a Verizon sim to check if it's unlocked?

Or a T-mobile sim that's inactivated?

What will it say in the top left corner?

Thanks in advance.
I don't think you can put a Verizon sim in but I'm pretty sure the T-Mobile sim will work.
RIP Grandma 5/10/1930 - 9/24/2012
AppleFanatic10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:03 AM   #23
Mwinder123
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post

I have an inactivated sim from tmobile and it does in fact say tmobile when I put the sim in.
Mwinder123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:18 AM   #24
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwinder123 View Post
I have an inactivated sim from tmobile and it does in fact say tmobile when I put the sim in.
this is definitely new..never seen it on any of my phones
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone