Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roderick Usher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Forgive me if this isn't the right forum in which to post this...

A friend of mine recently installed the 6.1 update on his brand-new iPod Touch and Words With Friends suddenly won't connect. Just says "Connecting" forever and then hangs.

Aside from a brief experience with an iPod nano about 4 years ago, I'm entirely green to the world of iOS. And I've pretty much no familiarity with this latest generation of iPods/iPhones/etc - in fact I just got a new job and have been issued an iPhone 4S which I've only just started exploring! So forgive me if I sound embarrassingly newbish.

I've been playing my end of the Words With Friends game from their Facebook app, and I haven't seen any issues. My friend has already tried reinstalling the WWF app.

What are the usual tricks in a situation like this? Is this common with iOS updates? Is Zynga any good at releasing patches for this sort of thing? I guess 6.1 was released only a little over a week ago.

Roderick Usher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Might "wiping" the device be a viable option? Reason I ask is that if this is due to some incompatibility between iOS 6.1 and WWF then... wouldn't want to bother.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Forgive me if this isn't the right forum in which to post this...

A friend of mine recently installed the 6.1 update on his brand-new iPod Touch and Words With Friends suddenly won't connect. Just says "Connecting" forever and then hangs.

Aside from a brief experience with an iPod nano about 4 years ago, I'm entirely green to the world of iOS. And I've pretty much no familiarity with this latest generation of iPods/iPhones/etc - in fact I just got a new job and have been issued an iPhone 4S which I've only just started exploring! So forgive me if I sound embarrassingly newbish.

I've been playing my end of the Words With Friends game from their Facebook app, and I haven't seen any issues. My friend has already tried reinstalling the WWF app.

What are the usual tricks in a situation like this? Is this common with iOS updates? Is Zynga any good at releasing patches for this sort of thing? I guess 6.1 was released only a little over a week ago.

Words with Friends broke Words with Friends. It's a buggy app at best and hangs every now & then.

Here's how to fix it; you have to quit the app: Go to the homescreen, double-tap the home button quickly, and the multitasking tray will show up. Find the WWF Icon in the multitasking tray and hold down on it until it wiggles. Then press the red minus sign on the app.

Now, go into WWF again and see if the issue is resolved.

Roderick Usher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Words with Friends broke Words with Friends. It's a buggy app at best and hangs every now & then.

Here's how to fix it; you have to quit the app: Go to the homescreen, double-tap the home button quickly, and the multitasking tray will show up. Find the WWF Icon in the multitasking tray and hold down on it until it wiggles. Then press the red minus sign on the app.

Now, go into WWF again and see if the issue is resolved.

Is that the same as a reinstall? Because I've already removed WWF and redownloaded it. Does this procedure do something different?

On the Zynga forums there are a couple of other people reporting the same thing - the app won't start at all after the 6.1 update. Hmm...

kwyn

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
Yep. This is just an annoying bug on wwf. Happened on 5.1 also. Great game, buggy app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.