Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:36 PM   #51
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Jebus. Leave it to the Mac Rumors community to argue over 2 totally correct answers because they never bothered to define the question first. Let's try finding both.


1) Is the number of jailbreakers significant enough that jailbreaking is here to stay and will continue to thrive?

Yes. It's significant to the jailbreaking community.



2) Is the percentage of phones that are jailbroken high enough that it will drive Apple to make major changes to attract and hold on to that demographic in the future?

No, they would probably sell more phones to new customers by making a pink iPhone than they would by shipping the phones with Cydia pre-installed. It's not significant to Apple's sales numbers.
Small White Car is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:37 PM   #52
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porshuh944turbo View Post
...and AAPL is up $17 (3.8%) today.
And google is up 10 points because of the increased ad revenue from cydia apps.
Peace is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:37 PM   #53
bushido
macrumors 603
 
bushido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: España y Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicalone View Post
I've never understood why you would take one of the most stable OS's in history and make it unstable and less secure.

But to each his own, as they say.
because its fun to play around with new things. thats also one of the reasons why im staying single
bushido is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:41 PM   #54
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
No, they would probably sell more phones to new customers by making a pink iPhone than they would by shipping the phones with Cydia pre-installed. It's not significant to Apple's sales numbers.
Agree. Further - those that are jailbreaking already bought/own devices. So clearly it didn't stop them from buying an iDevice to begin with.

Some curious stats would be how many people opted for Windows/Android because there was no jailbreak at time of purchase consideration

How many people will NOW upgrade to iOS 6.0 because of the jailbreak

etc.

At the end of the day - I still say that ~2M installs in ONE day is significant. No matter how you look at it.

Ultimately Apple doesn't care. Oh I am sure some at Apple feel their work is being bastardized just like there are some at Apple who probably jailbreak their phone as well.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:41 PM   #55
paradox00
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Yes. It's good news. But it also fortifies the the idea that although iOS might be slick/great/stable/etc - it's lacking (enough) that significant userbase wants more than Apple has given - even after several versions.

And again - I agree that this is "good" news for Apple overall - you have to also wonder if there are this many jailbreaking - how many are leaving and/or choosing Android over iOS because of shortcomings that can only be realized via jailbreaking.

I pose that as a question - not commentary.

You speak like people don't root Android phones.
paradox00 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:43 PM   #56
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox00 View Post
You speak like people don't root Android phones.
Weird eh ? I've heard of people rooting their android phone to be more like the iPhone.

Funny.

Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:44 PM   #57
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Name 10 (everyone).
Ok I will bite. http://1n73r.net/2012/10/22/my-top-ios-jailbreak-apps/
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus is fantastic! Bigger is better!
WannaGoMac is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:45 PM   #58
Porshuh944turbo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
And google is up 10 points because of the increased ad revenue from cydia apps.
Closer to $8 today, which amounts to about 1%.
Porshuh944turbo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:47 PM   #59
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porshuh944turbo View Post
Closer to $8 today, which amounts to about 1%.
It was up 10 points when I made my post.

Some people must be asking how to un-jailbreak their iPhone.

Ha !
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:47 PM   #60
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sransari View Post
because it shows enthusiasm for the technology


Quote:
Originally Posted by diazj3 View Post
Cant speak for the op, and I haven't jailbroken any of my devices yet (I will jb my aTV3 when possible).... but imo it's good to see that consumers have options and some measure of autonomy/liberty form Apple's control-freak practices. And that goes for any product or service purchased form any company or corporation - specially hardware.

cheers!
OK, makes sense. Whether I agree or not, what you guys say helps me understand the issue better.

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me View Post
It's awesome that people still care about jailbreaking, because the jailbreak scene was slowly dying up until this point. The resounding success and popularity that the launch of this evasi0n tool has shown (finally) proves that jailbreaking is as popular as ever, and that's awesome. The community lives on, for now.

And with regards to why jailbreaking is "a wonderful thing to do" - whilst I'm positive that you're not being pedantic or nescient on purpose, I'm sure you already know.
I've read this three times, and to be honest all I can get is... it's awesome because it's awesome.

Sorry if I'm missing some more subtle point.

BTW: "nescient"...great word. I had to seek definition. Thanks for saying I wasn't being ignorant on purpose...I was/am ignorant and it really was a serious question. I wasn't being cute (as if that were possible!). Now pedantic...that's me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
More people do it = More support for it.
More support for it = More tweaks that come out faster and are better.
As above...you're explanation makes sense to me for those wishing the customization.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein

Last edited by Shrink; Feb 5, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:49 PM   #61
DMac2020
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Jailbreaking exists for a reason.
__________________
"Do or do not, there is no try" -Yoda
DMac2020 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:49 PM   #62
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I haven't been limited by my phone enough to consider jailbreak, it's just so much easier not to. I don't have to worry about upgrading to the latest os, or buying the new version too soon.

there might have been one or 2 things i was like wtf apple? (voice recorder can't record calls for example) but none that made me bother with the effort. it's just my phone, anything it can't do I just bust out on my computer. If I have a call I want to record, I just do it on speakerphone by my computer I don't want big fancy app icons with tons of data, or my facebook feed on my lock screen, which seem to be the things people hate most about ios these days.
ghettochris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:50 PM   #63
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox00 View Post
You speak like people don't root Android phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Weird eh ? I've heard of people rooting their android phone to be more like the iPhone.

Funny.

This is a thread about iOS/Apple not Android. No need to introduce a strawman argument. I never stated people did or did not root Android. I just questioned how many people might think iOS was lacking (enough) to switch. I think it's pretty established that Both OSes have features the other doesn't - without rooting/jailbreaking.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:53 PM   #64
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post

That’s about 0.5% then. It doesn’t sound significant, but it kinda is... 0.5% of iDevices have installed a jailbreak in a FEW DAYS. Remember that people are still jailbreaking as we speak, too, so 1.7m is not the final figure.
Oh yeah... it will go up for sure... but how much? Will there ever be 50% of iPhones that are jailbroken? That's all I'm saying.
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:55 PM   #65
lazard
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
1.7 million... compared to how many iPhones and iPads out in the world?

A couple hundred million?

I'm glad the jailbreak exists... but let's be clear on the definition of "negligible"
1.7M in one day. You can imagine how many will be jailbroken after a month.
lazard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:56 PM   #66
nick_elt
macrumors 68000
 
nick_elt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
edit. deleted. I read the post wrong.
__________________
White Macbook, 2012 Macbook air 13", titanium grey galaxy note 2, ipad 3rd gen, apple tv 3
nick_elt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:59 PM   #67
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post

Stop comparing and just look at the number.
Yes... I can see 2 million jailbroken iPhones by the end of the week.

I'm also looking at the number of NON-jailbroken iPhones too... 200 million.

I get what you're saying... but jailbreaking is still something that is done by a significantly smaller percentage of people.
Michael Scrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:00 PM   #68
HouD
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Suck it, Apple.

Now give us the features that we want.
HouD is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:01 PM   #69
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
Are we comparing an iPhone with a nuclear facility here?
I'm sure there's an app for that.
__________________
APPLE
g0odfr1end102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:01 PM   #70
milbournosphere
macrumors 6502a
 
milbournosphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
I have two iThings that I own (ipad, iphone 4), and my roommate has one (iphone 5). I installed the jailbreak on my iPad to see how it worked before throwing it onto my phone, so as not to have any issues with what is essentially my lifeline. My roommate is likely to do the same If any other jailbreakers out there are like me, this number is sure to grow substantially over the next few weeks.
__________________
Russian roulette linux style : dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/kmem bs=1 count=1 seek=$RANDOM
milbournosphere is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:02 PM   #71
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouD View Post
Suck it, Apple.

Now give us the features that we want.
Who exactly is "We" ?

Do you mean the people that come on MR or go to some jailbreak website ? If you are then they are a very small minority .
Peace is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:03 PM   #72
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazard View Post

1.7M in one day. You can imagine how many will be jailbroken after a month.
Yeah... has there ever been a study to show how many iPhones are jailbroken?

Has it ever reached 10%? 20%?

Again... I'm not doubting it's happening... as it clearly is.

But think of how many iPhones are NOT jailbroken...
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:03 PM   #73
petsounds
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porshuh944turbo View Post
It's may seem crazy, but this will actually help Apple sell more iOS devices.
Maybe, but will also allow ~1.7 million people to pirate apps.
petsounds is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:03 PM   #74
sleitch86
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Any fellow jailbreakers able to point me in the right direction. I am trying to change my status from hacker to developer on cydia. I can't figure it out!
sleitch86 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:08 PM   #75
Jayomat
macrumors 6502a
 
Jayomat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Name 10 (everyone).
not sure if trolling or just completely clueless, so here you go with those from the top of my head... and that list was WAY LONGER before apple implemented stuff like copy and past (haha) and multi-tasking.. hell, some time ago you had no idea how many characters where left for your text..
  1. let me enable/disable 3G/WiFi/BT without tinkering in the preference app (easily the biggest reason, because the battery life increases substatially if you disable useless radios)
  2. send replies to sms etc from everywhere (pretty convenient eh?)
  3. advanced multi-touch gestures apple does not implement (countless)
  4. make the lockscreen useful (intellisceen/lockinfo)
  5. be able to open every "safari-link" in chrome (default different apps)
  6. be able to open every "maps-link" in google maps(default different apps)
  7. let me chose which camera app I want to open from the lockscreen (yes)
  8. use a mobile ad blocker (safari/chrome, all webviews)
  9. dim the screen to the extent I like (even on lowest settings you feel like you look directly into the sun at night)
  10. have profile pictures in my contact list (simple stuff)
  11. let me hide the keyboard while writing a mail ............ (to read what you wrote duh)
  12. attach any kind of file to email/msgs (before apple managed to implement this for PICTURES with iOS6 lolz..)
  13. actually store (almost) any kind of file on my device
  14. (not relevant for me, but) change the UI however I want ?!?
  15. let me call people from the Notification center/lockscreen (way faster than slide to unlock->type passwort->go to phone app->chose contact->click call ... LOL)
  16. list goes on ...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleitch86 View Post
Any fellow jailbreakers able to point me in the right direction. I am trying to change my status from hacker to developer on cydia. I can't figure it out!
so you have no clue what are doing, but would call yourself a "developer" with respects to jailbroken devices and apps? that's the spirit bro!

Last edited by Jayomat; Feb 5, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Jayomat is offline   4 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 6.x Jailbreak Evasi0n Hits Seven Million Installs in Four Days MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 104 Jun 18, 2013 07:11 PM
iPhone: Evasi0n Jailbreak for 6.1.2 safe ? Tig Bitties Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 21 Feb 23, 2013 06:08 PM
General: Why is there a donate button on Evasi0n before they release it? HeyGreggie Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 56 Feb 6, 2013 06:18 PM
General: Evasi0n Release Tommorow CONFIRMED glsillygili Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 8 Feb 4, 2013 04:34 AM
Google's Eric Schmidt: 1.3 million Android activations a day, 480 million devices WW digital.l0gic Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1 Sep 5, 2012 06:24 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC