Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:14 PM   #126
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
You cant install Safari extensions on the iOS version of Safari
Oh, dopey me!!

That'll teach me...

Sorry...

(****he slinks off into the corner in abject embarrassment***)

Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:25 PM   #127
MacSlut
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller1308 View Post
Well, it is small in the scope of total number of iPhones sold (48M last quarter).
No it's not. It took an entire quarter for Apple to sell 48m iPhones, and less than a day to jailbreak 1.7 million devices.

I think that's pretty significant.

The significant way to look at this though is from the developer perspective. There's going to be a large enough jailbroken user base for simple 99 cent tweaks and apps to generate some serious cash.

Or to look at it versus the competition. There are more jailbroken iOS devices than total Surface tablets.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankersizzle View Post
The only thing stopping me from jailbreaking is the substantial battery life loss
Then you should jailbreak. You can get longer battery life with a jailbroken iPhone. The key is not to install anything that runs full time, or install it, but don't run it full time. That's a bit like saying the answer is to not use GPS if you want your battery to last longer, not that the answer is that GPS shouldn't be part of the iPhone.

Additionally, there are many tweaks that enable you to manage things that consumer power better. Install SBSettings (or similar) and turn things off or adjust your brightness easier.

Jailbreaking in of itself doesn't add or reduce battery life.
MacSlut is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:27 PM   #128
JHankwitz
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porshuh944turbo View Post
It's may seem crazy, but this will actually help Apple sell more iOS devices.
You bet it will, and Apple doesn't have to take any responsibility for any of the resulting consequences. Jailbreakers will be totally on their own when things go awry.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:28 PM   #129
gotluck
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankersizzle View Post
The only thing stopping me from jailbreaking is the substantial battery life loss
this only happens because of certain tweaks / packages.

if you jailbreak the device and install no tweaks / packages, battery life is unaffected. You should not blindly install things from the cydia store. Always research first, there are no walls in this garden.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:35 PM   #130
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
You bet it will, and Apple doesn't have to take any responsibility for any of the resulting consequences. Jailbreakers will be totally on their own when things go awry.
A jailbreak restore and Apple wont even know its been jailbroken. It has no permanent effect anymore.
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:37 PM   #131
Serelus
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Yes. It's good news. But it also fortifies the the idea that although iOS might be slick/great/stable/etc - it's lacking (enough) that significant userbase wants more than Apple has given - even after several versions.

And again - I agree that this is "good" news for Apple overall - you have to also wonder if there are this many jailbreaking - how many are leaving and/or choosing Android over iOS because of shortcomings that can only be realized via jailbreaking.

I pose that as a question - not commentary.
I know alot of people who jailbreak who use "Activator" there is nothing similar on android that offers the same full functionality. It isn't always about customizing. Sometimes there's an extra App which allows you to use the phone in a completely new way. Ways in which you can't use any android device in the first place.
Serelus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:46 PM   #132
MacSlut
macrumors regular

You can pirate iOS apps without jailbreaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
Maybe, but will also allow ~1.7 million people to pirate apps.
No, jailbreaking != piracy.

The fact is, from the beginning of 3rd party apps being available on iOS, you've been able to pirate apps without having to jailbreak your device.

There were apps for jailbroken devices that facilitated piracy (Install0us), but they shut down and cited lack of user interest/participation as the reason.

However, piracy still remains as the methods to do so without having to jailbreak still exist.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Except, this never happens.

Nobody to date has ever provided proof that jailbreaking has bricked* any iOS device.

*Bricked as in the real meaning of the word, that is to say that the device can't be restored at all. At worst, the iOS device can always be put into DFU mode and then restored using iTunes.

And even if an iPhone was bricked due to jailbreaking, which it can't, Apple wouldn't be able to tell because the device wouldn't boot up and reveal that it was jailbroken because the very definition of bricked is that it can't be restored, which means it also won't boot up.
MacSlut is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:55 PM   #133
Swift
macrumors 6502a

It is negligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
And people say that the amount of people who Jailbreak is negliable...
How many iOS 6 devices are out there?
Swift is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:04 PM   #134
iansilv
macrumors 6502a

If Apple would simply allow for quick reply to messages, a functional lockscreen like what lockinfo does, and an expose-style app switcher I would lose my motivation to jailbreak....

Or just allow the top apps in the app store unless they violate major policies like the tether apps.
iansilv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:06 PM   #135
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazard View Post
1.7M in one day. You can imagine how many will be jailbroken after a month.
Unfortunately, not that many more. Most of the people who wanted to jailbreak have been waiting on the edge of their seat since iOS6 came out, and thus they installed it the second it became available. As you can see on the graph, the trend is steadily declining now, as the only people that are JBing now are the few here and there who have been too busy to JB, or those that are waiting till the servers cool down. After a week or two the number of people JBing will die down to almost nothing.
mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:13 PM   #136
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Unfortunately, not that many more. Most of the people who wanted to jailbreak have been waiting on the edge of their seat since iOS6 came out, and thus they installed it the second it became available. As you can see on the graph, the trend is steadily declining now, as the only people that are JBing now are the few here and there who have been too busy to JB, or those that are waiting till the servers cool down. After a week or two the number of people JBing will die down to almost nothing.
That graph is Cydia hits, not jailbreaks.
rmwebs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:24 PM   #137
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
That graph is Cydia hits, not jailbreaks.
Sorry - My mistake. Although what I said still applies, as Cydia hits reflect the number of people that have just jailbroken and are therefore installing all their tweaks (or trying to ).
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:24 PM   #138
NMBob
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung! View Post
simple:
1. the ability to "hide" the native apps that i dont use, like stocks, weather, NEWSSTAND,...
2. with one swipe up, i can close all my background apps (in the application switcher);
3. with a swipe down, i can close any specific app (in the application switcher);
4. the ability to ignore/hide app updates (when they no longer support your device or iOS);
5. customize gestures for a given task. like replacing the home-button's function with a gesture;
6. camera: add the ability to do time lapse or a timer. You can even set a custom frame rate, aspect ratio and resolution while shooting video.
7. add the ability to make googlemaps the default maps app on the device;
8. i can backup and/or reuse all my saved games across all my devices;
9. move multiple items at a time, in the home screen;
10. transform my device into a hotspot with no extra charges, videochating and download heavy files (>20mb) through 3g...
11. attach more than 5 photos to an email;

im not talking about customizing fonts or stuff. i am talking about productivity and ease of use. simple things that speed up my flow and minimize my frustration. cheers.

12. Have the keyboard show UPPER case letters when in uppercase mode, and show lower case letters (!!!!) when in lowercase mode (using ShowCase). Now why couldn't Apple provide that? It seems like a pretty stinking basic usability thing. Never JB'ed before now...my life has changed.
NMBob is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:38 PM   #139
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
And people say that the amount of people who Jailbreak is negliable...
Given that Apple had already sold over 400 million iOS devices by last September, a couple millions of user jailbreaking their devices would still account for less than 1% of the installed user base.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:43 PM   #140
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
Given that Apple had already sold over 400 million iOS devices by last September, a couple millions of user jailbreaking their devices would still account for less than 1% of the installed user base.
Is 1% of iOS6 users small? Yes. Is it negligible? No.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:53 PM   #141
diazj3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Thanks for the link. I read the article and found it interesting.

JB is not for me, I'm perfectly happy with the ringtones, wallpaper, apps, etc. within the Apple ecosystem. But then, when it comes to my Apple devices...I'm easy to please.

I can understand the desire to JB...just not for me.
When it comes to my iphone, I also have some reservations, specially to avoid the hassle. The only thing that has made me consider jailbreaking it is the increased planned obsolecense Apple is forcing into each new iOS iteration, both though changes in basic iOS features and app developer guidelines and limitations (case in point, whatsapp). The moment I'm forced to buy a new iPhone only because the basic functions and apps I have purchased should not be serviced any more on it, only because there's a new iphone available, I'm going with another brand and say F U to Apple.

As for my AppleTV3, I'll be jailbreaking it for sure asap, as in its current form, it's an incredibly sub-utilized device. Apple has denied it some basic, common sense features only bc they wouldn't advance their iTunes bottom line and dictate which media and apps can we consume through Apple hardware, and how should we consume it, forcing their criteria to the last minimum detail.

Ridiculous... specially for a company that made such a big point about being the antidote for any orwellian 1984 big brother practices...!
diazj3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:00 PM   #142
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

I was jailbroken for a while and went back to using the stock OS. I may JB again. There are definitely pros and cons. I liked the extra functionality that came with it. I didn't like the bugginess of some of the apps. And the biggest issue for me was I had to wait for the next JB whenever an update came from Apple. And sometimes it took a long time for them to come.

I think jail braking is a good thing in general. Many of iOS's functions were added after the JB community showed how popular a function was. So, I'm all for people jail breaking, but still on the fence about doing it again as there are definitely drawbacks that come with it as well.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:01 PM   #143
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
simple:
1. the ability to "hide" the native apps that i dont use, like stocks, weather, NEWSSTAND,...
The other apps I can understand, but you don't use Weather?
Quote:
6. camera: add the ability to do time lapse or a timer. You can even set a custom frame rate, aspect ratio and resolution while shooting video.
I don't use the camera a lot so I wouldn't know, but aren't those functions provided through 3rd party apps?
Quote:
8. i can backup and/or reuse all my saved games across all my devices;
Does jailbreak make this possible? An iCloud replacement that would work across games?
Quote:
10. transform my device into a hotspot with no extra charges, videochating and download heavy files (>20mb) through 3g...
11. attach more than 5 photos to an email;
It was my understanding that these limitations are dictated by carriers, not Apple. To illustrate with an example, in Japan, you can't use Personal Hotspot at all because Japanese carriers won't allow it.
And by the way, video-chatting on 3G has been available for more than a couple of years (Skype for iPhone) and the download cap over 3G was raised to 50MB about a year ago.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:01 PM   #144
Dagless
macrumors Core

I'd have it on mine but I don't want to mess anything up. I'm prepared to put up with a mediocre set of customisation ability for now.
If the next iOS doesn't improve on things I might have to jailbreak.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:01 PM   #145
bilboa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfula View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainApple View Post
Yes, one can use it to "steal" pirated apps. But a majority of us do it for the personal customization that Apple believes shouldn't be made available to their customers. If you could see first-hand what can be done when the Apple Wall is torn down, you'd be impressed.
That's a claim that can't be substantiated. And frankly I think it's just a pipe dream.
And that can't be substantiated either. Bottom line is we don't have any statistics about what percentage of jailbreakers pirate apps, so we just end up relying on our own experience and reasoning to make guesses.

I would guess that most adults with decent enough incomes to afford to buy their own iPhone or iPad would have very little incentive to jailbreak just to avoid paying for apps, especially given that most App Store apps cost under $5. On the other hand, kids who were given an iDevice by their parents and don't have much of an allowance would have more motivation to pirate apps.

I would further guess that which of the above categories you or your friends are in partly determines what your opinion is about why people jailbreak.
bilboa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:06 PM   #146
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboa View Post
And that can't be substantiated either. Bottom line is we don't have any statistics about what percentage of jailbreakers pirate apps, so we just end up relying on our own experience and reasoning to make guesses.

I would guess that most adults with decent enough incomes to afford to buy their own iPhone or iPad would have very little incentive to jailbreak just to avoid paying for apps, especially given that most App Store apps cost under $5. On the other hand, kids who were given an iDevice by their parents and don't have much of an allowance would have more motivation to pirate apps.

I would further guess that which of the above categories you or your friends are in partly determines what your opinion is about why people jailbreak.
There's a few rich actors in Hollywood that have a penchant for shoplifting yet they have money to pay for it.

Human nature and all.

just sayin'

Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:18 PM   #147
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
So. 1/200th of IOS devices have downloaded the jailbreak.

I wonder how many of those were the same person downloading it twice or three times.
With hackers in general, I don't know if statistics can be useful. If everyone was like me, Google and AOL would have 5X the number of users.

----------

I still don't know the answer... IS it safe to jailbreak an iPhone 4 running iOS 6 with this if it is already jailbroken with a tethered redsn0w jailbreak? I want it to be untethered.
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:20 PM   #148
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Alec1 View Post
With hackers in general, I don't know if statistics can be useful. If everyone was like me, Google and AOL would have 5X the number of users.

----------

I still don't know the answer... IS it safe to jailbreak an iPhone 4 running iOS 6 with this if it is already jailbroken with a tethered redsn0w jailbreak? I want it to be untethered.
You consider a person jailbreaking their phone a hacker ?
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:21 PM   #149
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilboa View Post

Actually if I remember right there was at least one developer who shut down his app because the number of illegitimate users was many times the number of purchased users, and his app required a server on his end to run. He couldn't support the volume on the server with the small number of paid users. I know that there are other examples of developers who complained that the number of paid users was a tiny percentage of the installed base. I'm sorry I don't have any specific citations, but I'm pretty sure that pirating has been an issue in the past. Maybe no one here is doing it, but lots of JBers are.

Found it. Battle Dungeon shut down after a week. http://www.cultofmac.com/204064/batt...due-to-piracy/

Last edited by Nunyabinez; Feb 5, 2013 at 06:26 PM.
Nunyabinez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:40 PM   #150
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
simple: cheers.
Thanks for the replies to my inquiry. We just added value to this thread in a way even a n00b can understand, "why"? Plenty of people don't jailbreak after all, probably out of fear of the consequences and lack of info as to why it benefits them.

Thanks.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion