Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:12 PM   #26
Johnchapin
macrumors member

My Backup System

I have 1 TB backup drives in 3 locations.

I've noticed that pro photogs take a small external drive with their camera gear. However, what I do is transfer photos to an iPad with a retina display using an EyeFi card and Shuttersnitch as I'm shooting both for backup, and to review photos on a better display than a camera LCD. What these reviews usually show is bad focus, ISO, or aperture. The Shuttersnitch app shows aperture, ISO, and shutter speed.

I take about 2000 photos at 10 MB jpeg each, plus about 2000 from wildlife cameras at about 1 MB each, all in about a month. I put these in "raw" files. Each day or so, I put worthwhile photos in "select" files. Each week or so, I copy edited photos in "edit" files. Each month or so I put the best ones in "slide show" files.

When these disks fill up, I'm planning on putting the older raw files, which take up the most space by far, in a new disk.

My scheme is surely less than perfect, but so far, works for me

Last edited by Johnchapin; Feb 16, 2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Add wildlife cameras
Johnchapin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:08 PM   #27
dmax35
macrumors 6502

Here is good write ups for you to review what others are doing.

by Trey Ratcliff about his Drobo.

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/drobo-review/

Synology

http://www.synology.com/products/pro...rt.php?lang=us

Last edited by dmax35; Feb 15, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
dmax35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:43 PM   #28
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Thanks guys. I learned quite a bit about RAID in the last couple of weeks, a lot of it through this forum.

I'm using RAID 1 only as a hardware failsafe of my masters as I've had too many brushes with clicking drives in the past. I'm doing a monthly versioned Time Machine backup off site in my safety deposit box and as a last resort, I regularly upload my ✮✮✮✮✮ photos to my FTP.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:14 AM   #29
MacTribe
macrumors member

Just another friendly comment on this thread..

There is a famous saying in the IT support world - RAID is not a backup..

Example would be RAID 5, its dangerous. When one drive fails and you add another, it puts a ton of stress on the rest of the array and more often than you'd believe, you lose another drive before it rebuilds! Google RAID 5 rebuild failure and you'll be shocked..

RAID should be considered a good way of making large volumes with a faster way to rebuild arrays, but a backup it does not make. Always have your data in two places at all times, preferably away / online somewhere..

We run this for our clients, notice the dual locations? - because you cannot trust a single point backup system.. Just be careful with your data, the more copies you have, the better.

Good luck!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:36 AM   #30
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular

I'd recommend using an inexpensive enclosure (Vantec Dual USB, $75 from Amazon) that does Raid 1 mirroring. Then get a drive docking station (Thermaltake eSATA USB for $30 from Amazon) and use it with Carbon Copy Cloner to back up your main drive to a drive that will be kept offsite.
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 07:10 PM   #31
MacTribe
macrumors member

Thing with carbon copy cloner is it doesn't really keep versions, so you're only as safe as your last backup - unless it's changed? I haven't used it in a few months..
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:53 PM   #32
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTribe View Post
Thing with carbon copy cloner is it doesn't really keep versions, so you're only as safe as your last backup - unless it's changed? I haven't used it in a few months..
While I do like clones... your post is exactly on target. I would not recommend any backup strategy that does not have deep versioning. Of my 3 prong backup strategy... two have deep versioning (TM and Crashplan). I use CCC to make clones of my personal media (photos and personal videos).

I personally do not need clones of my system drive... because I can easily move my media to a different computer while my main drive is replaced and rebuilt.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 12:34 PM   #33
MacTribe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
While I do like clones... your post is exactly on target. I would not recommend any backup strategy that does not have deep versioning. Of my 3 prong backup strategy... two have deep versioning (TM and Crashplan). I use CCC to make clones of my personal media (photos and personal videos).

I personally do not need clones of my system drive... because I can easily move my media to a different computer while my main drive is replaced and rebuilt.

/Jim
Thats a great strategy.It would be extremely hard for you to lose any files!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 01:31 PM   #34
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Thats a great strategy.It would be extremely hard for you to lose any files!
I recently put a post on here someplace of a recovery that I had to do from Crashplan over the cloud. It wasn't for my personal machine... but rather it was for a small MBA that my daughter has. Evidently, while she was away at grad school, she shut off Time Machine because she wanted full performance for WoW. She never turned it on... a year later (last week) dropped it... and smashed it.

We bought her a new MBA, but the TM data was a year old, so we installed apps manually, and then downloaded all of her data from the cloud (Crashplan+). It worked perfectly.

/Jim
Old Aug 27, 2013, 03:38 AM   #35
MacTribe
macrumors member

Quote:
I recently put a post on here someplace of a recovery that I had to do from Crashplan over the cloud. It wasn't for my personal machine... but rather it was for a small MBA that my daughter has. Evidently, while she was away at grad school, she shut off Time Machine because she wanted full performance for WoW. She never turned it on... a year later (last week) dropped it... and smashed it.

We bought her a new MBA, but the TM data was a year old, so we installed apps manually, and then downloaded all of her data from the cloud (Crashplan+). It worked perfectly.
No better backup software out there at the moment. We run the enterprise version on our servers for clients etc - we've only had great results.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:57 AM   #36
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
No better backup software out there at the moment. We run the enterprise version on our servers for clients etc - we've only had great results.
Agree.

I've been using Crashplan+/Crashplan-Central for about 4 years now and I have been delighted.

More recently (within the last year), my employer (very large corporation) has implemented Crashplan Pro for Macs.

/Jim
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:02 PM   #37
MacTribe
macrumors member

Quote:
More recently (within the last year), my employer (very large corporation) has implemented Crashplan Pro for Macs.
Wow, must be interesting to manage on a massive scale. We look after a few 100 people, even then its pretty stressful at times watching the data flowing in and out like crazy! I'd imagine on a large scale deployment they'd segment the backups onto several clusters managed by different teams. Uber geeky stuff.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography