Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:18 PM   #1
alec6542
macrumors regular

Can you request iPhone repair vs.replacement w/ AppleCare

Hi guys,

I have AppleCare+ on my old iPhone 4S. It's had a cracked screen for a while, but I purchased an iPhone 5 instead of having it replaced so I would always have a jailbroken device. My brother wants to buy the phone from me If I get the screen fixed. It currently has iOS 5.1.1 and He wants to stay at 5.1.1. If we have it replaced under AppleCare, they will likely give us a refurbished one with iOS 6. Is it possible to request them to repair the phone instead of replace so that the jailbreak and iOS 5.1.1 is left intact?
alec6542 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Mike J
macrumors member

why not jailbreak iOS 6? why does he want to keep 5.1.1?
Mike J is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Goodeye
macrumors 6502a

Exactly a repair at the apple store is
Going to cost more than an AppleCare+ replacement. Secondly iPhone 4/4s can be jailbroken on 6.X firmware now.

I'd say restore the phone first then go to the Apple Store get the AppleCare replacement give it to your brother and use the new Evasi0n app to jailbreak it.
Goodeye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:46 PM   #4
alec6542
macrumors regular

Right I know I can it replaced from Apple for only $49. My question is can I ask them to repair the phone instead of replace it, and still only pay $49. Yes I know that there is an iOS 6 JB but my brother insists on keeping it at iOS 5 for the stability of the JB.
alec6542 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:29 PM   #5
JrsyGal
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec6542 View Post
Right I know I can it replaced from Apple for only $49. My question is can I ask them to repair the phone instead of replace it, and still only pay $49. Yes I know that there is an iOS 6 JB but my brother insists on keeping it at iOS 5 for the stability of the JB.
Wow they are replacing your iphone 4s for just $49? Is it because of the AC+? I thought under AC they replaced for free. Many of my friends did that in the past. But maybe now times have changed.
JrsyGal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrsyGal View Post
Wow they are replacing your iphone 4s for just $49? Is it because of the AC+? I thought under AC they replaced for free. Many of my friends did that in the past. But maybe now times have changed.
He has AppleCare+ on the phone. You buy that when you purchase a new iPhone. It's $99. You get 2 replacements for damage/loss at $50 each and warranty is extended 2 years.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:25 PM   #7
LostMyiPhone
macrumors member

Quote:
I would guess you can make the request but they'll probably do what they deem to be most cost-effective (i.e. is it cheaper for apple to hand you a white-box replacement or pay parts/labor to fix the one you've got?). I think the way apple has structured their iPhone business, it's always cheaper for them to replace vs. repair. They hand you a *new* (redone) one and send your old one who knows where to be fixed up by who knows who for probably less pay than a blue-shirt at the store.

Just get your basically new phone and tell your bro to quit whining.
LostMyiPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:50 PM   #8
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Is it possible to request them to repair the phone instead of replace so that the jailbreak and iOS 5.1.1 is left intact?
Anything's possible. It is not, however, likely. Ask Apple and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrsyGal View Post
If it's a warranty issue they'll replace it for free. A cracked screen is not a warranty issue but is covered under Applecare+ as accidental damage with an associated $49 fee per incident. You can always find details directly from the source:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4...are-for-iphone
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:22 PM   #9
vistadude
macrumors 65816

I bet if you ask nicely, and go in at a non-busy time (like weekday daytime), they will look for an iphone 4s with iOS 5. Just tell them you have a few apps that aren't compatible with iOS 6 yet and need it for school, or that you want the old google maps or old music app with podcasts.

Even if they can only give you an iOS 6 device, it's still a lot better than having a broken screen.

Heck, if you want get the new 4s, I'd trade you my iphone 4 with iOS 5 on it and give you the price difference.
vistadude is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone