Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alec6542

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Hi guys,

I have AppleCare+ on my old iPhone 4S. It's had a cracked screen for a while, but I purchased an iPhone 5 instead of having it replaced so I would always have a jailbroken device. My brother wants to buy the phone from me If I get the screen fixed. It currently has iOS 5.1.1 and He wants to stay at 5.1.1. If we have it replaced under AppleCare, they will likely give us a refurbished one with iOS 6. Is it possible to request them to repair the phone instead of replace so that the jailbreak and iOS 5.1.1 is left intact?

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Exactly a repair at the apple store is
Going to cost more than an AppleCare+ replacement. Secondly iPhone 4/4s can be jailbroken on 6.X firmware now.

I'd say restore the phone first then go to the Apple Store get the AppleCare replacement give it to your brother and use the new Evasi0n app to jailbreak it.

alec6542

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Right I know I can it replaced from Apple for only $49. My question is can I ask them to repair the phone instead of replace it, and still only pay $49. Yes I know that there is an iOS 6 JB but my brother insists on keeping it at iOS 5 for the stability of the JB.

JrsyGal

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Right I know I can it replaced from Apple for only $49. My question is can I ask them to repair the phone instead of replace it, and still only pay $49. Yes I know that there is an iOS 6 JB but my brother insists on keeping it at iOS 5 for the stability of the JB.

Wow they are replacing your iphone 4s for just $49? Is it because of the AC+? I thought under AC they replaced for free. Many of my friends did that in the past. But maybe now times have changed.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Wow they are replacing your iphone 4s for just $49? Is it because of the AC+? I thought under AC they replaced for free. Many of my friends did that in the past. But maybe now times have changed.

He has AppleCare+ on the phone. You buy that when you purchase a new iPhone. It's $99. You get 2 replacements for damage/loss at $50 each and warranty is extended 2 years.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012

I would guess you can make the request but they'll probably do what they deem to be most cost-effective (i.e. is it cheaper for apple to hand you a white-box replacement or pay parts/labor to fix the one you've got?). I think the way apple has structured their iPhone business, it's always cheaper for them to replace vs. repair. They hand you a *new* (redone) one and send your old one who knows where to be fixed up by who knows who for probably less pay than a blue-shirt at the store.

Just get your basically new phone and tell your bro to quit whining. :D

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Is it possible to request them to repair the phone instead of replace so that the jailbreak and iOS 5.1.1 is left intact?
Anything's possible. It is not, however, likely. Ask Apple and see.

If it's a warranty issue they'll replace it for free. A cracked screen is not a warranty issue but is covered under Applecare+ as accidental damage with an associated $49 fee per incident. You can always find details directly from the source:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A/applecare-for-iphone

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I bet if you ask nicely, and go in at a non-busy time (like weekday daytime), they will look for an iphone 4s with iOS 5. Just tell them you have a few apps that aren't compatible with iOS 6 yet and need it for school, or that you want the old google maps or old music app with podcasts.

Even if they can only give you an iOS 6 device, it's still a lot better than having a broken screen.

Heck, if you want get the new 4s, I'd trade you my iphone 4 with iOS 5 on it and give you the price difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.