Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Aqueous
macrumors member

iTunes DRM problem? Or, HD Versions of Movie on ATV1 Problem?

I'll try to make this quick.

I just jailbroke my ATV1 used FireCore and am now stoked on XBMC! Have been ripping my DVD and BluRay collection and so far so good (using Make MKV & Handbrake)! Here's where I'm hitting a wall...

I had purchased a bunch of Movies on ATV1, then I restructured my actual iTunes Library on my iMac, re-downloaded the "HD" versions of all the movies I purchased. Then synced back to ATV1 and not all of them will sync. I think its all the ones that say "1080p" that will not sync.

Is it a DRM thing why they won't sync back, or a supported format thing with 1080 being the limitation?

At this point, I am so into having all of my movies in ONE place, that I bought software (Tune4Mac itunes video converter) to strip the DRM off the itunes movies, so that I could FTP them into my growing movie catalog and access them all from XBMC. This is for my own personal use in my own home. Problem is, (1) the stripped movies still won't play on my ATV1 (Would that be solved by upgrading my video card to the Crystalbuntu or whatever for $40?), and (2) somehow the language gets changed from English to French on one of my test movies (Brave) (Is that because of Apple's DRM??? or is that a flaw in the converting software?)

My gawd as I type this I realize how many questions I have, sorry! Can someone shed some light on this though, maybe give me some options?

Will I have to keep all my iTunes purchased movies and shows in the main ATV menu, and synced by iTunes on my iMac, then just have an external HD of my own ripped movies? I sure wish I could put them all in ONE place...
Aqueous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

You can't sync 1080 content to an Apple TV 1 because it isn't one of the Apple supported media types.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Aqueous
macrumors member

Okay, that helps. So, should I go into ATV1 and re-download the purchased movies back into the ATV? Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the problem movies (1080) were bought through iTunes on my iMac and downloaded as HD. I guess I'll just have to experiment and try to reacquire those movies natively in the ATV1...

Anyone have luck getting compatible iTunes movies into the XBMC file management?

I really would love to have all my movies in one folder and not have to bounce back and forth between XBMC and ATV menu...

Thanks!
Aqueous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:39 PM   #4
MarkG21
macrumors regular

You can redownload your movie purchases in a lower resolution format (720P and SD). Although I'm not sure you can play a 720P file on the Apple TV 1??
MarkG21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 06:14 AM   #5
Bl0ckHe1d
macrumors 6502

Have you tried http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...com_Crystal_HD

I have installed the BCM970015 and it runs all 1080 movies no problem via XBMC (crystalubuntu)
Bl0ckHe1d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2014, 07:54 AM   #6
priitv8
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG21 View Post
Although I'm not sure you can play a 720P file on the Apple TV 1??
You can indeed!
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater