Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:58 PM   #1
JrsyGal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Question Unjailbreak 3gs

So I have a 3gs(bought off CL) that was JB'd and updated by mistake. And ended up in the screen where you can get the emergency dial pad in different languages. Like when you get a new phone.

Brought it home to see it would not activate it self. Battery would not hold a charge and the whole 9 yards of a problem story. Long story short. Was able to get it activated after my husband worked all night looking up articles and trouble shooting. Problem is its still JB'd and I DO NOT want that. Want to get an OOW from apple and get rid of the headache. I am told if I take a JB phone to apple they will not do anything with it. Please help me un JB this device. I am skeptical to restore it as if I do, I might make it deactivated again.

details: iphone 3gs
Version: 4.1 (8B117)
Modem firmware: 06:15.00
JrsyGal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrsyGal View Post
So I have a 3gs(bought off CL) that was JB'd and updated by mistake. And ended up in the screen where you can get the emergency dial pad in different languages. Like when you get a new phone.

Brought it home to see it would not activate it self. Battery would not hold a charge and the whole 9 yards of a problem story. Long story short. Was able to get it activated after my husband worked all night looking up articles and trouble shooting. Problem is its still JB'd and I DO NOT want that. Want to get an OOW from apple and get rid of the headache. I am told if I take a JB phone to apple they will not do anything with it. Please help me un JB this device. I am skeptical to restore it as if I do, I might make it deactivated again.

details: iphone 3gs
Version: 4.1 (8B117)
Modem firmware: 06:15.00
I believe 6.15 is the iPad firmware, if I am not mistaken. It was used in the past to update iOS and still JB and unlock with ultrasn0w. To unjailbreak you need to restore to the latest iOS, which is 6.1, but you will first have to downgrade the 6.15 firmware.

Here is the Mac version to downgrade.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22653


Here is is the windows version:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22652

After the downgrade then restore to 6.1 and you should be stock.

Last edited by Baggio; Feb 5, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:38 PM   #3
JrsyGal
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
I believe 6.15 is the iPad firmware, if I am not mistaken. It was used in the past to update iOS and still JB and unlock with ultrasn0w. To unjailbreak you need to restore to the latest iOS, which is 6.1, but you will first have to downgrade the 6.15 firmware.

Here is the Mac version to downgrade.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22653


Here is is the windows version:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=22652

After the downgrade then restore to 6.1 and you should be stock.
So basically this wont make it deactivated like before right?
JrsyGal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrsyGal View Post
So basically this wont make it deactivated like before right?
It shouldn't because your phone is activated now. I think you were having problems because your phone is running iPad firmware.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:49 PM   #5
JrsyGal
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrsyGal View Post
So basically this wont make it deactivated like before right?
Also, ATT had sent me an unlock code and said once I connect it to itunes it will get unlocked...unfortunately I never got a confirmation message from itunes saying its now unlocked. The ATT rep asked me to stick a TMO sim to check, but I dont have any. Also, I was told once I unlock it, it will remove the JB. But I still see cydia in there even after the supposed unlock by ATT. That means its still JB'd right?
JrsyGal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrsyGal View Post
Also, ATT had sent me an unlock code and said once I connect it to itunes it will get unlocked...unfortunately I never got a confirmation message from itunes saying its now unlocked. The ATT rep asked me to stick a TMO sim to check, but I dont have any. Also, I was told once I unlock it, it will remove the JB. But I still see cydia in there even after the supposed unlock by ATT. That means its still JB'd right?
AT&T unlock is done based on your IMEI number of the phone. It has nothing to due with JB, etc. They are assuming the restore would wipe out the JB, but since you have iPad firmware you can't do a normal restore until you downgrade the firmware. I have IMEI unlocked 4 phones and never did a restore. You don't need to restore it to unlock it. It just needs to be connected and synced to iTunes to activate the unlock. It's just an online database with IMEI numbers.

Do the downgrade then restore to 6.1. If you need a T-Mobile SIM, you can order one on their website for 99 cents. You don't even have to activate the T-Mobile SIM. If the phone is unlocked it will search for signal and eventually show no service because the SIM isn't activated.
Baggio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:02 PM   #7
JrsyGal
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
It shouldn't because your phone is activated now. I think you were having problems because your phone is running iPad firmware.
The person who sold me the phone said it was JB'd and he was also using it with a TMO sim. He had accidentally updated it by mistake and ended up with that screen. Also, while trying to reactivate the iphone I had downloaded the ipad firmware not sure if it was the case before(when I bought it). This is the article I used for reactivating and JB'ing the phone. http://www.beijingiphonerepair.com/h...for-unlocking/

So again...if I take a JB'd 3GS to apple they wont do an OOW exchange for me?
JrsyGal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY
If it doesn't turn on you can get an OOW replacement. For example if it had been accidentally dropped into a sink of water and is dead you can get a replacement.

If it turns on and shows that it has been jailbroken you are out of luck.
Givmeabrek is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:33 PM   #9
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrsyGal View Post
The person who sold me the phone said it was JB'd and he was also using it with a TMO sim. He had accidentally updated it by mistake and ended up with that screen. Also, while trying to reactivate the iphone I had downloaded the ipad firmware not sure if it was the case before(when I bought it). This is the article I used for reactivating and JB'ing the phone. http://www.beijingiphonerepair.com/h...for-unlocking/

So again...if I take a JB'd 3GS to apple they wont do an OOW exchange for me?
Not if jailbroken.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:55 PM   #10
JrsyGal
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
lol


Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
If it doesn't turn on you can get an OOW replacement. For example if it had been accidentally dropped into a sink of water and is dead you can get a replacement.

If it turns on and shows that it has been jailbroken you are out of luck.
JrsyGal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:22 PM   #11
JrsyGal
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
AT&T unlock is done based on your IMEI number of the phone. It has nothing to due with JB, etc. They are assuming the restore would wipe out the JB, but since you have iPad firmware you can't do a normal restore until you downgrade the firmware. I have IMEI unlocked 4 phones and never did a restore. You don't need to restore it to unlock it. It just needs to be connected and synced to iTunes to activate the unlock. It's just an online database with IMEI numbers.

Do the downgrade then restore to 6.1. If you need a T-Mobile SIM, you can order one on their website for 99 cents. You don't even have to activate the T-Mobile SIM. If the phone is unlocked it will search for signal and eventually show no service because the SIM isn't activated.
Hi Baggio- Once I have done the downgrade what would be the base band version? 5.13.04?
In the article you sent...in step 1, which firmware(ipsw) should I choose for my device? the latest one that I see for 3gs is 6.1.0

Also want to mention that I ONLY have the following SHSH saved for this device through Tinyumbrela. Won't I have activation issues if I use any other firmware version?

1. iPhone3GS 6.1 (10B141)
2. iPhone3GS 4.1 (8B117)

thank you so much for the help.

Last edited by JrsyGal; Feb 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
JrsyGal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:43 PM   #12
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrsyGal View Post
Hi Baggio- Once I have done the downgrade what would be the base band version? 5.13.04?
In the article you sent...in step 1, which firmware(ipsw) should I choose for my device? the latest one that I see for 3gs is 6.1.0

Also want to mention that I ONLY have the following SHSH saved for this device through Tinyumbrela. Won't I have activation issues if I use any other firmware version?

1. iPhone3GS 6.1 (10B141)
2. iPhone3GS 4.1 (8B117)

thank you so much for the help.
I would do it to 4.1 to downgrade the baseband. Then do a normal restore to 6.1 because it will require an upgrade to baseband compatible with 6.1. This is the cleanest way to do it and the phone should still be IMEI unlocked and if you get an oow replacement the unlock will follow to the new phone/IMEI. Just make sure you do a DFU restore.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:17 AM   #13
JrsyGal
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Thumbs up

Baggio wanted to thank you for all the help. I am all set!
JrsyGal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrsyGal View Post
Baggio wanted to thank you for all the help. I am all set!
You are welcome!
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
3gs ios 4.0, iphone, jailbreak iphone stuck, jailbreak problem, unjailbreak

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: 3GS UNjailbreak help OldschoolNC Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 16 Jan 9, 2014 04:47 PM
Unjailbreak tbluhp iPhone 4 Mar 8, 2013 05:51 AM
Unjailbreak HELP hayls84 iPhone 3 Nov 3, 2012 05:20 AM
iPhone: How to unjailbreak a 3GS? The Alpha Gamer Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Oct 6, 2012 07:24 PM
unjailbreak iphone 3gs waynef89 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 5 Jul 24, 2012 02:02 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC