Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:47 PM   #1
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus
 
SilentPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bamboo Forest
7-year-old playing an imaginary game at school gets suspended for real

http://kdvr.com/2013/02/04/7-year-ol...nded-for-real/

Quote:
A 2nd grader has been suspended from school in Loveland for a make believe game he was playing.

The 7-year-old says he was trying to save the world. But school administrators say he broke a key rule during his pretend play.

“I was trying to save people and I just can’t believe I got dispended,” says Alex Evans, who doesn’t understand his suspension any better than he can pronounce it.

“It’s called ‘rescue the world,’” he says.

He was playing a game during recess at Loveland’s Mary Blair Elementary School and threw an imaginary grenade into a box with pretend evil forces inside.

“I pretended the box, there’s something shaking in it, and I go ‘pshhh.’”
The boy didn’t throw anything real or make any threats against anyone. He explains he was pretending to be the hero. “So nothing can get out and destroy the world.”

But his imaginary play broke the school’s real rules. The school lists “absolutes” designed to keep a safe environment. The list includes absolutely no fighting, real or imaginary; no weapons, real or imaginary.
__________________
My 24 hour web cam! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻
And remember.
SilentPanda is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:05 PM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
When I imagine I'm saving the world, I imagine over-zealous school administrators lined up on the playground, receiving a lecture from 7-year olds on the difference between imagination and reality. Then I imagine those administrators being suspended for a month without pay, because adults should already know the difference, and should even be able to explain it to kids. And then all the kids use that pay to buy chocolate milk, because why not, it's only imaginary?
chown33 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:11 PM   #3
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
Is that harsh? Yes.

But I'm sure the boy's parents were told about those rules.

And they should have impressed upon their son the importance to abide by them.

Suspension isn't the end of the word.

I doubt it will affect him getting into the college of his choice.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:14 PM   #4
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NYC/Raleigh, NC
I guess it could have been worse.

They could have cut off his balls to insure that no testosterone ever entered his system.
__________________
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." -- H.L.Mencken
CalWizrd is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:25 PM   #5
eawmp1
macrumors 601
 
eawmp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: FL
Well it is Loveland, Colorado and the kid is wearing camouflage.

Seriously, age-appropriate imaginary play is now a threat? Next up will come the thought police.
eawmp1 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:47 AM   #6
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Is that harsh? Yes.

But I'm sure the boy's parents were told about those rules.

And they should have impressed upon their son the importance to abide by them.

Suspension isn't the end of the word.

I doubt it will affect him getting into the college of his choice.
For gods sake he's 7.

I think this is bad.
Eraserhead is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:34 AM   #7
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Isn't this a little too much? He didn't even hurt anyone, nor did he have any evil intentions.

I don't think his actions justify a suspension.
Beeplance is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:37 AM   #8
Heilage
macrumors 68030
 
Heilage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
This seems stupid.
__________________
We are but shadows and dust.
You can twitter me up, or maybe join us on IRC? #macrumors @ irc.krono.net!
"Err, the Inquisition was not that bad, actually the rules were reasonably fair." - CaoCao
Heilage is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:40 AM   #9
costabunny
macrumors 68000
 
costabunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ~/
Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
ouch

while I agree that helping children understand rules maatter; I think suspension is so over the top in this case.

Talk about draconian. Surely a good talk with the boy and having a proper 2-way dialog about real, imaginary, right, wrong and how they matter would have been far more productive. (and yes many seven year olds can comprehend these things).

What does suspension say to the child? don't be a hero? conform without thought?

sad day for all involved indeed.
__________________
Bunny has an iPhone 5C, a PC, and a MacBook Pro retina

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:10 AM   #10
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
The kid knew the rules and willingly broke them. In the good old days the kid would have been beaten by his teachers for his disregard for human decency. The real heroes of the world are those saving the environment from the evils of global warming.
Puevlo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:48 AM   #11
Happybunny
macrumors 68000
 
Happybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 's-Hertogenbosch Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
When I imagine I'm saving the world, I imagine over-zealous school administrators lined up on the playground, receiving a lecture from 7-year olds on the difference between imagination and reality. Then I imagine those administrators being suspended for a month without pay, because adults should already know the difference, and should even be able to explain it to kids. And then all the kids use that pay to buy chocolate milk, because why not, it's only imaginary?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
Well it is Loveland, Colorado and the kid is wearing camouflage.

Seriously, age-appropriate imaginary play is now a threat? Next up will come the thought police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
For gods sake he's 7.

I think this is bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Isn't this a little too much? He didn't even hurt anyone, nor did he have any evil intentions.

I don't think his actions justify a suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilage View Post
This seems stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by costabunny View Post
ouch

while I agree that helping children understand rules maatter; I think suspension is so over the top in this case.

Talk about draconian. Surely a good talk with the boy and having a proper 2-way dialog about real, imaginary, right, wrong and how they matter would have been far more productive. (and yes many seven year olds can comprehend these things).

What does suspension say to the child? don't be a hero? conform without thought?

sad day for all involved indeed.
I completely agree with all the above posters, this for me is one of those "Only in America" moments.
__________________
'You cannot undo history, but you can learn from it'
Happybunny is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:09 AM   #12
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
The kid knew the rules and willingly broke them. In the good old days the kid would have been beaten by his teachers for his disregard for human decency. The real heroes of the world are those saving the environment from the evils of global warming.
Sarcasm?

If not, perhaps my little brother should have been put on probation when he walked out of a store with a $.99 bag of Cheetos when he was 7.
eric/ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:03 AM   #13
Technarchy
macrumors 601
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
When I was a kid I pretended to be Luke Skywalker with a pretend light saber...you get suspended for that these days? Emasculating...
Technarchy is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:12 AM   #14
SilentPanda
Thread Starter
Moderator emeritus
 
SilentPanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Bamboo Forest
I think the rule is absurd (well the imaginary part) and if they're going to insist on keeping it they should at least go to an escalation policy. Did the kid know? Maybe. Did the parent know? Probably. Did the kid remember from the beginning of the school year (Aug 2012) when it was probably told to him? Doubtful. What could the parent do about it while the kid is at school? Nothing.
__________________
My 24 hour web cam! ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻
And remember.
SilentPanda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:32 AM   #15
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
For gods sake he's 7.

I think this is bad.
I said it was harsh.

However, re-read the quote from the OP ...

Quote:
But his imaginary play broke the school’s real rules. The school lists “absolutes” designed to keep a safe environment. The list includes absolutely no fighting, real or imaginary; no weapons, real or imaginary.
The school had established and posted this "absolute" ban. That means it's very important for parents and children to be aware of and not break this rule.

If the parents and child were properly notified of this rule and the child still violated it, how is the schools at fault for punishing the child?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
What could the parent do about it while the kid is at school? Nothing.
The parents can remind their children.

They did that to me when I was growing up.

Little Johnny: [making exploding noises]

Mom: Remember Little Johnny, you can't make those noises at school. You'll get sent home.

Little Johnny: Aw. Gee whiz, mom.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:49 AM   #16
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
The first problem here is banning imaginary things.

Quote:
threw an imaginary grenade into a box with pretend evil forces inside.
Just hilarious.

They need to throw the rule out
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:56 AM   #17
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
The first problem here is banning imaginary things.

They need to throw the rule out
Could the child have imaginary sex?

If he's giving an imaginary blowjob would that be okay?
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:01 AM   #18
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
This is beyond idiotic. No words describe the level of stupidity.

The correct action was find other "hero" activities, like fireman or medical scientists, saving people in other ways.

Reams of books say this is how it needs to be done.
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:03 AM   #19
elistan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver/Boulder, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
The school had established and posted this "absolute" ban. That means it's very important for parents and children to be aware of and not break this rule.
No, it means the rule should be abolished and whoever approved the rule should be suspended.

Quote:
If the parents and child were properly notified of this rule and the child still violated it, how is the schools at fault for punishing the child?
It's the school's fault for having the rule in the first place.

Just like it wasn't Alan Turing's fault he was punished with stilboestrol injections for indecency - it was Britain's fault for having Section 11 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1885. Just because Turing knew of the law when he broke it doesn't mean he did wrong.
elistan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:07 AM   #20
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
The correct action was find other "hero" activities, like fireman or medical scientists, saving people in other ways.
The problem is you're then asking teachers or administrators to judge what is "heroic" vs. merely violent. That IMO is why they made the rule an "absolute' rule, because they did not want to become arbiters of appropriate vs. inappropriate violence. They simply wanted to say that no violence was acceptable.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
It's the school's fault for having the rule in the first place.
So take them to court.

Or appeal to the superintendent. (or whatever governing board there might be)
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:08 AM   #21
Teh Don Ditty
macrumors G4
 
Teh Don Ditty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
I weep for my child's future schooling.
__________________
I heard that Steve Job's Kool-Aid fueled Unicorn craps rainbows which emits the RDF.
Disgusting
Teh Don Ditty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:10 AM   #22
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Could the child have imaginary sex?

If he's giving an imaginary blowjob would that be okay?
Because 7 year olds are so familiar with the concept of a blowjob. Must be all the porn they watch on TV.
eric/ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:11 AM   #23
mcrain
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
I think the parents should sue and demand the school produce the evidence that the child threw an "imaginary" grenade. It might have been an imaginary cream-puff.
mcrain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:11 AM   #24
elistan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver/Boulder, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
So take them to court.

Or appeal to the superintendent. (or whatever governing board there might be)
Yep, the parents absolutely should.
elistan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:12 AM   #25
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
I think the parents should sue and demand the school produce the evidence that the child threw an "imaginary" grenade. It might have been an imaginary cream-puff.
I wonder what exactly constitutes an "explosive sound". Maybe the kid just had some gas?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Free][Game] School Driving 3D - real auto simulator!(by OvilexSoft) MarusacAlexandr iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Apr 30, 2014 01:25 PM
When does the Back to School promo usually start each year? unlimitedx MacBook Air 314 Jul 22, 2013 05:15 PM
$100 iTunes Gift Card for 13-14 School Year henryonapple MacBook Air 7 Jun 17, 2013 03:49 AM
When is education pricing come out, new school year? jackgigi iMac 3 Mar 22, 2013 10:56 AM
New School year new setup Lil Chillbil PowerPC Macs 18 Jul 10, 2012 08:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC