Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:10 PM   #1
dporter15
macrumors newbie

Setting up external HDD with Apple TV question

Hey everyone. Currently I have an iMac with an external HDD streaming my movies to my Apple TV3 which works great. Unfortunately my iMac is collecting dust so I am giving it to my father. So anyways I was curious since my now primary computer is my rMBP if there was a way I could stream the movies to my Apple TV without having to keep my laptop connected to my external all the time.

I'm not sure if this would work or the performance of it but what if I connect my hdd to my airport extreme's usb, then set up home sharing through my macbook and connect my apple tv via ethernet directly to my airport extreme.

If it doesn't work or has poor performance, would I be better off replacing my Apple Tv with a Mac Mini and just running the HDD off of that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
dporter15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:12 PM   #2
linds15
macrumors 6502a

i haven't tried exactly what you are asking for. but when i had an externall HDD plugged into my APE i couldn't get watchable video straight to my macbook, let alone trying to pass that along through to the ATV. your best bet is to either have a permanent computer running itunes with the hdd, or the mini at the tv instead of an tav
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:22 PM   #3
blueroom
macrumors 603

A USB drive on the AEBS will work fine, or consider getting a NAS.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:09 AM   #4
GarrettL1979
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
A USB drive on the AEBS will work fine
This is what I'm doing. Works great.
GarrettL1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:41 AM   #5
dporter15
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Ok, so now I'm starting to consider setting up a NAS. I wasn't to familiar on what exactly it was so I did a quick search on google to find out more but I'm still a little confused. From the sounds of it connects via ethernet to the back of my APE?

Also, any recommendations as a good NAS thats full OS X compatible. Thanks Again
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:53 AM   #6
blueroom
macrumors 603

Easy, Synology NAS. I've got a DS212j

They're really nice devices and I highly recommend them.

Yes, it connects via Ethernet. The blog link in my signature is Wordpress running on mine.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Doesn't iTunes have to running on his laptop ?
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:28 AM   #8
dporter15
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
I was wondering this as well.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:56 AM   #9
mpress03
macrumors member

Another option would be to buy a netbook and use it to strictly run iTunes so that it serves the AppleTV. I got a netbook off eBay for about $80 and plugged my HDD into that and all it does is run iTunes homesharing so that my AppleTVs have access to my movies. They aren't very powerful so don't plan on doing too much with it but mine is out of the way and with Windows task schedular it turns off at about 2am and back on at noon so that it saves even more power. It is plugged into the router through Ethernet so in a way is like a NAS, only I can easily add more HDD without reformatting and if the netbook takes a crap it's much cheaper to replace than a NAS.
mpress03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:26 PM   #10
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Yes

Quote:
Yes, it does.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:58 AM   #11
thasan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
im not sure what u mean. but my synology NAS has an itunes server. i am yet to get an apple tv but i am hoping it will work. also, the new system in synology (DSM 4.2) is supporting airplay streaming (http://www.synology.com/dsm/dsm4.2_beta.php?lang=us).

p.s. the videostation is fantastic for ipad and iphone. it seems i need an atv to run videos in my 4 year old tv.
thasan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:38 AM   #12
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thasan View Post
im not sure what u mean. but my synology NAS has an itunes server. i am yet to get an apple tv but i am hoping it will work. also, the new system in synology (DSM 4.2) is supporting airplay streaming (http://www.synology.com/dsm/dsm4.2_beta.php?lang=us).

p.s. the videostation is fantastic for ipad and iphone. it seems i need an atv to run videos in my 4 year old tv.
It will work...for audio only.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:16 AM   #13
thasan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
It will work...for audio only.
have u tried videostion? it works with full video streaming..and they claim it will work for video too in tv with atv
thasan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:20 AM   #14
blueroom
macrumors 603

I've tried VideoStation with files encoded via Handbrake for both ATV2 & 3. So far it fails to work. Interesting idea once they get the bugs worked out as it means you can start playback from a browser.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:27 PM   #15
dporter15
macrumors newbie

Basically if possible I want a solution that doesn't require my laptop running all the time or not even use my laptop at all.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:33 PM   #16
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dporter15 View Post
Basically if possible I want a solution that doesn't require my laptop running all the time or not even use my laptop at all.
Buy a Mac Mini.

Stream from your iPhone or iPad.

Stream from iTunes via the iTunes Store.

But you need to have a computer on to do this locally. How else would the AppleTV access the content you've already downloaded?
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:06 PM   #17
dporter15
macrumors newbie

Update

Hey guys just to give you an update.

I decided to wire my AppleTV directly to my Airport Extreme which definitely helps with lag I had when it was wireless. I then connected my external HDD directly to the APE. My mac is still connected wirelessly but I have it running on the 5GHz network so I really don't notice any delay.

The only downside I have found thus far was my laptop has to stay running but I am eventually going to buy a Mac Mini to replace the rMBP as the iTunes server. Thanks again for everyones help!
Old Mar 2, 2013, 12:16 PM   #18
tekno
Banned

I have the ATV1 so excuse my ignorance.

To be clear, no matter how many external drives, NAS drives etc, is there no way to watch films on your apple TV without having a computer running iTunes? Why can't Apple make it work without going via a computer?
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:42 PM   #19
shyam09
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dporter15 View Post
Hey guys just to give you an update.

I decided to wire my AppleTV directly to my Airport Extreme which definitely helps with lag I had when it was wireless. I then connected my external HDD directly to the APE. My mac is still connected wirelessly but I have it running on the 5GHz network so I really don't notice any delay.

The only downside I have found thus far was my laptop has to stay running but I am eventually going to buy a Mac Mini to replace the rMBP as the iTunes server. Thanks again for everyones help!
Hey, I just got an ATV 3 and I have a ext HDD connected to my PC, but could you explain how you got the setup working (in the OP)? And I assume the videos have to be on.mp4

Thanks
shyam09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 01:05 PM   #20
dporter15
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyam09 View Post
Hey, I just got an ATV 3 and I have a ext HDD connected to my PC, but could you explain how you got the setup working (in the OP)? And I assume the videos have to be on.mp4

Thanks
It was pretty easy to set up. Basically, I converted all my movies using Handbrake. There's a preset for Apple TV 3 so it's pretty easy. After all my movies had finished, I opened iTunes and unchecked, "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library' Then just add your movies. After thats finished all you should have to do is make sure home sharing is enabled in iTunes and your Apple TV should automatically find it as long as there on the same network.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
I have the ATV1 so excuse my ignorance.

To be clear, no matter how many external drives, NAS drives etc, is there no way to watch films on your apple TV without having a computer running iTunes? Why can't Apple make it work without going via a computer?
So far, I haven't found a way for it to work without some version of iTunes running.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 01:56 PM   #21
bearcatrp
macrumors 68000

Cheaper to buy a roku, WD Live, or OUYA and pull the movies from a disk on your AE and let these boxes do the work. Don't see why apple doesn't put iOS on an apple tv to do this. One of the reasons I am moving away from apple. Have 2 ATV but looking real hard at WD Live to replace them.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:43 PM   #22
shyam09
macrumors 65816

kk i got the ATV today (the A1469 one ) and i set up air video on my PC (win 8) ... it's asking me to download java... and with all the zero-day vulnerabilities going on with Java, is it safe to install java or should i wait a bit longer?
shyam09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater