Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1
DaveJennings
macrumors newbie

Issues Connecting External Stereo Speakers To iMac

Just decided to hook up my Stereo speakers to my iMac but the sound is only coming from the left speaker. Any advice?
DaveJennings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:19 AM   #2
uptownnyc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJennings View Post
Just decided to hook up my Stereo speakers to my iMac but the sound is only coming from the left speaker. Any advice?
Did you use a stereo jack? Is it pushed all the way into the iMac? Do the speakers work in stereo from another device?
uptownnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Braddrum
macrumors member

Quote:
Sounds stupid I know but is the jack fully in on the speaker out port? as if not that can cause only one speaker to work.
Braddrum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:21 AM   #4
simsaladimbamba

Is Balance set to the middle in System Preferences > Sound > Output?
And what source were you trying to play with what application to get the audio only on one speaker?
Have you checked all the physical connections from the iMac to the speakers and what exact speaker set do you use?
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:26 AM   #5
DaveJennings
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddrum View Post
Sounds stupid I know but is the jack fully in on the speaker out port? as if not that can cause only one speaker to work.
Yes mate, the jack is fully pushed into the out port. You can hear that the speaker is on but there is no sound coming from it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownnyc View Post
Did you use a stereo jack? Is it pushed all the way into the iMac? Do the speakers work in stereo from another device?
Yes mate, and the speakers work with other devices.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Is Balance set to the middle in System Preferences > Sound > Output?
And what source were you trying to play with what application to get the audio only on one speaker?
Have you checked all the physical connections from the iMac to the speakers and what exact speaker set do you use?
Yes mate, the balance is set in the middle. All connections are fine, i'm trying to hook up my Samsung Stereo Speakers to the iMac.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:28 AM   #6
simsaladimbamba

Quote:

Yes mate, the balance is set in the middle. All connections are fine, i'm trying to hook up my Samsung Stereo Speakers to the iMac.
And again, what application did you use to play what kind of source?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:30 AM   #7
trustever
macrumors 6502

other silly question, if you use the internal speaker can you hear the sound balanced?
trustever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:32 AM   #8
DaveJennings
macrumors newbie

Quote:
And again, what application did you use to play what kind of source?
Sorry mate, I don't understand what your point is? All I'm trying to do is use my speakers rather than the internal ones. When you say what application did you use and what kind of source, what do you mean.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustever View Post
other silly question, if you use the internal speaker can you hear the sound balanced?
Yes mate, and the sound works perfectly through my headphones.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:35 AM   #9
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Sorry mate, I don't understand what your point is? All I'm trying to do is use my speakers rather than the internal ones. When you say what application did you use and what kind of source, what do you mean.
You can use iTunes, QT Player X, VLC Player and many other software players to play a variety of sources (videos or music using different formats and such), and some of those sources might have many audio channels but the software player you use only plays back one channel (had that problem with some 5.1 sources and Movist).

It is probably not the case with your speaker set, but it was worth a try, in order to zoom into a solution.

Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:44 AM   #10
DaveJennings
macrumors newbie

Quote:
You can use iTunes, QT Player X, VLC Player and many other software players to play a variety of sources (videos or music using different formats and such), and some of those sources might have many audio channels but the software player you use only plays back one channel (had that problem with some 5.1 sources and Movist).

It is probably not the case with your speaker set, but it was worth a try, in order to zoom into a solution.

Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?
Happens in all software mate, i'll try another account just incase.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:48 AM   #11
trustever
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yes mate, and the sound works perfectly through my headphones.
Be happy at least in not a problem of the sound card of your new toy...
Hope you will sort it out shortly!
trustever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:03 AM   #12
BeeJee
macrumors 6502

Are you positive the setup is set to "Stereo" and not "Mono"? If its set to mono it would explain why only one speaker is outputting sound. If its playing mono it would sound like the same style from an iPhone or other type of device. A stereo setup distributes the sound so some sound would be missing. Don't know if this makes sense but I'm drugged up with a collapsed lung at the hospital.
BeeJee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:09 AM   #13
DaveJennings
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeJee View Post
Are you positive the setup is set to "Stereo" and not "Mono"? If its set to mono it would explain why only one speaker is outputting sound. If its playing mono it would sound like the same style from an iPhone or other type of device. A stereo setup distributes the sound so some sound would be missing. Don't know if this makes sense but I'm drugged up with a collapsed lung at the hospital.
Sorry to hear that mate, yeah i've been into system preferences and its all set to stereo.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac