Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Newblet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Hi All,

As my screen name suggests, I am a cross over from the PC world.
After 20-ish years, I finally decided to purchase some Apple equipment to play with/learn on.

I recently picked up a couple of items at some great prices.

#1 Mac Mini Server 2.0 i7 Quad, 8 GB (now upgraded to 16), 2 x 750 GB, Lion Server - paid $450 Geekbench (32 bit) 8824

#2 Mac Pro 3.1 2x 2.8 Quad core, 2gb, 320 gb - paid $500 with bluetooth keyboard/Magic Mouse.
This will be upgraded shortly to 10 gb ram, 256 ssd for boot, and 3 TB Seagate. Geekbench 32 bit 94xx in received state.

Which one would you keep if you could only have one?
Main usage will be photo editing, light video editing (to start), general office.

Thanks for your time!
Dan

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Personally I would keep the Mac Pro. I realize it will take up more space, but you have room to build on. The Mini will do a good job as well, if space is limited to you. Both will do a good job for your requirements.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
Well it depends on other factors.

If it were myself: I'd choose the mini as its powerful enough for the tasks, small enough for my desk and uses a lot less power than the Pro (also quieter).

Now If I wanted to do any windows/mac gaming maybe I'd go with the pro as it can take a descent graphics card.

Its very much a personal choice here - its which fits your needs, and situation best.

Both are perfectly respectable machines for the tasks you mention. Do you need expandability or small footprint? is noise and power usage important to you?

Mac Newblet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Personally I would keep the Mac Pro. I realize it will take up more space, but you have room to build on. The Mini will do a good job as well, if space is limited to you. Both will do a good job for your requirements.

Space isn't really a problem, and I've always kind of wanted an MP, that will probably be the route I go. Thx

----------

Well it depends on other factors.

If it were myself: I'd choose the mini as its powerful enough for the tasks, small enough for my desk and uses a lot less power than the Pro (also quieter).

Now If I wanted to do any windows/mac gaming maybe I'd go with the pro as it can take a descent graphics card.

Its very much a personal choice here - its which fits your needs, and situation best.

Both are perfectly respectable machines for the tasks you mention. Do you need expandability or small footprint? is noise and power usage important to you?

Thanks costabunny,

I'm thinking the expandability is a good thing. I can still upgrade the CPUs a bit too correct?

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Space isn't really a problem, and I've always kind of wanted an MP, that will probably be the route I go. Thx

----------

Thanks costabunny,

I'm thinking the expandability is a good thing. I can still upgrade the CPUs a bit too correct?

Good for you. You won't regret your choice. Mac Pro will also be my next machine due to upgrades that I will be able to do. I am just waiting for the new ones. Good luck with it.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
If you....

are of the tinkering kind of people, dont have space/power/noise problems, you can go fine with the Mac Pro. Otherwise, that mini can do a decent job. IMO, you can get at least 3 years more of use from that Mac Pro.

In another news....very good deals...kudos!:)

:):apple:

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I think I'd go with the Mac Pro. It's easy to work on and expand and a good place to start your journey. I've always been kind of curious myself about upgrading the processor...

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Mac Pro. You ran 32-bit Geekbench. Run the 64-bit version and you will start to see the difference. Also, the Mac Pro has more physical and virtual processor cores. You can also add more RAM, more hard drives, PCI expansion cards, etc. It is far more powerful and will last longer than a Mac mini. It also retains its value better than the mini.

Mac Newblet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
are of the tinkering kind of people, dont have space/power/noise problems, you can go fine with the Mac Pro. Otherwise, that mini can do a decent job. IMO, you can get at least 3 years more of use from that Mac Pro.

In another news....very good deals...kudos!:)

:):apple:

Thanks, I was very happy with my deals!

----------

Mac Pro. You ran 32-bit Geekbench. Run the 64-bit version and you will start to see the difference. Also, the Mac Pro has more physical and virtual processor cores. You can also add more RAM, more hard drives, PCI expansion cards, etc. It is far more powerful and will last longer than a Mac mini. It also retains its value better than the mini.

Upgrades are done, 10gb RAM at this point, 128 SSD boot and 3GB Barracuda storage. 64 bit Geekbench now 11202 :)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Thanks, I was very happy with my deals!

----------

Upgrades are done, 10gb RAM at this point, 128 SSD boot and 3GB Barracuda storage. 64 bit Geekbench now 11202 :)

Well, you can always add more or swap things around. It's also got PCI expansion slots. You can upgrade the GPU with a new card. Or have two cards installed. Or add a new drive for backup/storage. Etc. It's easily expandable.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
try flipping the mac pro, you got a couple steals.

i recently sold my 3.1 mp for 2.5x your cost, but had extra ram, ssd, and a couple spare platter drives, went to a current i7 mini and rmbp, basically sidegrades.

Last edited:

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi Dan Keep the Mac Pro 2008 and just upgrade and add ssds and graphic cards and you're good to go with photo editing. Though Geekbenches are one's barometer, its hard to compare performance in real world computing. what is important is your Mac gets the job done at the end of the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.