Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:13 PM   #26
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You shouldn't be sending your kid to school with Aspirin or Tylenol. These are not medications that can be bought without an ID card, and have multiple warnings labels on them. I have a friend who is actually allergic to acetaminophen which is the main ingredient in Tylenol. You also want to stay away from Aspirin as much as possible for the different problems it can cause as well.
You don't need ID to buy Tylenol or Aspirin products.

Quote:

Teachers at my school had X-acto cutters on hand all the time. You, again, can't really buy this stuff at a physical store without proper identification because it's a really sharp tool. It's useful for projects, but if you really needed one, asking a teacher to buy one for use for the whole class is a better solution.
You don't need an ID for these type of products as well. You can easily go into Office Max or Staples and buy one. They don't ask for ID. Now they might in your neck of woods but not here. :/

Hugh
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:38 PM   #27
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWizrd View Post
Some people just feel the need to overreact to everything.
Like people thinking "zero tolerance" is destroying our children?
citizenzen is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:52 PM   #28
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
I was in a Catholic boarding high school in the early 90's, we weren't even allowed to have candy/snacks in our rooms. I remember the penguins losing their minds when one of the girls came to school with birth control pills in her things (she was prescribed them for a medical condition), she was nearly expelled for it.
skottichan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:59 PM   #29
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:01 AM   #30
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
Jeez what schools did you guys go to. Mine cared ****wit what you did during lunchbreak if and when you brought drugs to school. If it's OTC it's your problem and if it's script then so long as you have the script on you nobody cared.
A school system more strict then Madrasa.

Honestly, I see signs of fanaticism in USA in certain categories equivalent to the Middle East.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:16 AM   #31
jknight8907
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You shouldn't be sending your kid to school with Aspirin or Tylenol. These are not medications that can be bought without an ID card, and have multiple warnings labels on them. I have a friend who is actually allergic to acetaminophen which is the main ingredient in Tylenol. You also want to stay away from Aspirin as much as possible for the different problems it can cause as well.

If you have a headache or are experiencing pain, you ask your teacher for permission to go to the nurse, or you go between classes. A student shouldn't be administering themselves medication, nor should they be giving their friends some either. In the case of my friend, if someone would have offered her some Tylenol, she would have probably ended up in the emergency room. It is something schools doesn't want to have to deal with.

Teachers at my school had X-acto cutters on hand all the time. You, again, can't really buy this stuff at a physical store without proper identification because it's a really sharp tool. It's useful for projects, but if you really needed one, asking a teacher to buy one for use for the whole class is a better solution.

As for off campus lunch... There were specific days when this was allowed. I used to know people that used to run off to the bookstore during that time though. Can you imagine what would have happened if a parent showed up looking for them because they had an emergency and needed to have them home? Can you imagine if they got into a car accident?

When I was in middle school, I used to stay in the after school program in the computer lab. And one time some lady decided to take a bunch of her kid's friends to Starbucks, maybe about five. One of their parents showed up ten minutes later to take them home, and the teacher had no idea where they were. They all showed up like 30 minutes later, and that teacher freaked out and told them that it wasn't going to happen anymore. The parent wasn't too fussed about it, but that lady really shouldn't have done that.

Most of this kind of stuff is in the handbooks though, they can't just let stuff slip because of good students, they have to play by the rules.
Where are you shopping at? None of those things require ID, even at Wal-mart, the king of IDing for stuff no one else does. I suspect you're the type that gets a little frightened by your own shadow. And the thought that a high school student is incapable of properly self-medicating with Advil is absolutely ridiculous.
jknight8907 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues