Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

offthehook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
Hey guys!

I just installed a Samsung 840 (non-pro) as my primary HD and installed my recent HD in the optibay (using the data-doubler from OWC).
I transfered the system and all my applications on the SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner and left out the user folder, which I later relinked as told in this tutorial:

http://lifehacker.com/5541774/how-to-install-a-solid+state-drive-in-your-macbook

My mac boots from the SSD (which also has all the applications) and downloads and documents will automatically be saved on my old hard drive.. so far so good.

Yet I encountered 2 problems (and I guess they are linked)

First: I tried to enable TRIM support using the Trim Enabler app, which gave me a message that "The patch is running but Trim is not working with my SSD" (or something like that). Since I read that several people do not get that message with the same SSD, I guess it is a permission problem.

Second: When I right-click on my startup volume and choose "Get Info" I have a message stating "You can only read" (I'm the admin!) followed by 3 entries under sharing & permissions: system (read & write), wheel (read only), everyone (read only).
When I try to edit everyone (I want to allow read AND write) I get the following error: "The operation can't be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -8076)." The same error occurs when I try to add myself (my user account) to the list.
When I try to copy files to my startup volume (the ssd) I need to enter my admin password.

I just don't get it. Please help me.
I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on a Mid 2009 Mbp 13''

Best regards

Best regards

offthehook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
Hi Orlandoech!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried to follow section 5. of your tweaking guide but it seems that I'm too dumb to understand why to use it again as I already set the home directory in my user account settings (to the one on the HD), why do I need to set it again?
Sorry for my ignorance, I really appreciate your help.

The boot time of my SSD is also very long (I set the boot disk to my SSD) and once I'm logged in, it takes forever for the desktop symbols to show up.

Many thanks for your help!

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Hi Orlandoech!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried to follow section 5. of your tweaking guide but it seems that I'm too dumb to understand why to use it again as I already set the home directory in my user account settings (to the one on the HD), why do I need to set it again?
Sorry for my ignorance, I really appreciate your help.

The boot time of my SSD is also very long (I set the boot disk to my SSD) and once I'm logged in, it takes forever for the desktop symbols to show up.

Many thanks for your help!

Hey no worries.

This issue alone warrants a the decisions to just do a clean install of OS X via USB or Internet Recovery. I wouldnt even deal with the other issues if this issue is present. A clean install will more than likely solve the majority of your issues, such as the disk permissions, Trim, etc.

offthehook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
Hi Orlandoech!

Thanks again for your help! I tried running the terminal script which results in the following:

-boot time is still not acceptable (40 seconds and it takes forever for the finder bar and the symbols to show up)
-my user preferences are not loading although everything is set up in the user account settings
- i was able to add myself (read and write) to the ssd.
-applications are not on my DATA disk, yet I can start them (e.g. photoshop) from the finder menu.

very strange! I guess I made things worse.
Trying a re-install!

Thanks mate!

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Yea I would just do a clean install and the SSD Tweaks you prefer for optimization.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Are you now recommending the Chameleon over Trim Enabler? If so, what are the advantages of Chameleon? I just followed your instructions yesterday and Trim Enabler is working perfectly. Thanks!

I am yes. It has some of the same options I have in my guide as terminal commands available as check boxes in the GUI which is easier for less technical users.

tvhaugen

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
I am yes. It has some of the same options I have in my guide as terminal commands available as check boxes in the GUI which is easier for less technical users.

So if I was successful with the terminal commands you list then there is no reason for me to switch to Chameleon?

shmonkus

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
United Kingdom
I have an 840 pro and had an issue similar to the permissions issue you see but I was able to change the permissions so I can't help with that I'm afraid.

However, the boot thing was fixed by selecting the hard disk in system preferences > startup disk, and it fixed my boot up time

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH6656

Last edited:

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I'll second that motion to reinstall the OS on the SSD

Also, FWIW, it might be better to install the hard drive in it's original spot and the SSD in the optibay. The original hard drive spot has better dampening and cooling than the optical drive area, and a spinning hard disk needs that a lot more than an SSD.

offthehook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
many thanks Orlandoech.com everything works fine now!
I could not enable trim using trim enabler but it worked fine using the chameleon app!

THANKS MATE! you are the best

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.