Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Brounmoney
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
iPhone 5 battery question

So I have the iphone 5 and I unplugged it from the charger this morning and am about 5 hours from when I unplugged it. I am now at about 80% battery. Does this seem right? I am an average user not to heavy, and the phone says that I have almost 2 hours usage.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:44 PM   #2
darricksailo
macrumors 68040
 
darricksailo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
That seems about right. My ideal battery life would be 1 hour of usage per 10% of battery life but it seems I can't reach that unless it's (SUPER) light use. And I consider my current usage as average
darricksailo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Brounmoney
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darricksailo View Post
That seems about right. My ideal battery life would be 1 hour of usage per 10% of battery life but it seems I can't reach that unless it's (SUPER) light use. And I consider my current usage as average
So only hope to only get about 10 hours of use out of your phone? I just thought the battery was better than what I am getting. Maybe my expectations were too high. I would expect at least 15 hours of use.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:48 PM   #4
darricksailo
macrumors 68040
 
darricksailo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
So only hope to only get about 10 hours of use out of your phone? I just thought the battery was better than what I am getting. Maybe my expectations were too high. I would expect at least 15 hours of use.
Well, that's my personal opinion. I hope to get about 10 hours of usage out of my phone but I find I usually get 7-9 hours of usage which is still fairly good compared to others. (when i say usage, i mean the usage that shows up under settings -> general -> usage. My phone lasts me until the end of the day so I am alright with that; I just charge my phone every night.

Some people get 1-2 days and if that's all usage, I can't imagine how they can do that. if it's both usage and standby, it's still hard to believe but possible, i guess.

I personally feel 15 hours of use is too high of an expectation. Smartphones are big battery drainers compared to basic phones. The iPhone has a small battery too. The iPhone 5 has a 1430 mAh battery compared to the S3's 2100 mAh battery. For comparison, the phone I had before my iPhone 5 (it was a Samsung Gravity 2 and is a basic phone) had a 1000 mAh battery

if you are worried about your phone not lasting you until the end of the day; you can opt for an external battery pack and lightning cable or just bring the brick adapter and the lightning cable around. You can go for battery cases too if you want but I don't like them because they're more expensive than battery packs
darricksailo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Brounmoney
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darricksailo View Post
Well, that's my personal opinion. I hope to get about 10 hours of usage out of my phone but I find I usually get 7-9 hours of usage which is still fairly good compared to others. (when i say usage, i mean the usage that shows up under settings -> general -> usage. My phone lasts me until the end of the day so I am alright with that; I just charge my phone every night.

Some people get 1-2 days and if that's all usage, I can't imagine how they can do that. if it's both usage and standby, it's still hard to believe but possible, i guess.

I personally feel 15 hours of use is too high of an expectation. Smartphones are big battery drainers compared to basic phones. The iPhone has a small battery too. The iPhone 5 has a 1430 mAh battery compared to the S3's 2100 mAh battery. For comparison, the phone I had before my iPhone 5 (it was a Samsung Gravity 2 and is a basic phone) had a 1000 mAh battery

if you are worried about your phone not lasting you until the end of the day; you can opt for an external battery pack and lightning cable or just bring the brick adapter and the lightning cable around. You can go for battery cases too if you want but I don't like them because they're more expensive than battery packs
Oh I did not know that you were talking about usage in setting menu. Yea I think 7 to 9 is good. I was talking about total hours of having the phone away from the charge. Yea this not my first iphone I had the iphone 4 and the 3G and I really just can't remember how good they were on battery.

Everyone always talks about how good the battery is on the iphone and how it sets is apart from the android phones, but I just don't get that argument. I had an galaxy nexus gsm model before the iphone, and to be honest I really can't see any difference in battery life. Some times I feel like the Gnex was better at points. I don't know I think we should all have higher expectations for smartphone batteries. The smartphone has been out for a very long time we should be getting a full day out of a smartphone with heavy use. Just my thoughts
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:02 PM   #6
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
So I have the iphone 5 and I unplugged it from the charger this morning and am about 5 hours from when I unplugged it. I am now at about 80% battery. Does this seem right? I am an average user not to heavy, and the phone says that I have almost 2 hours usage.
Same as any other question on usage it's really impossible to say based solely on your OP. You have to determine what your baseline is based on your usage. Terms like "average" mean nothing. The majority of users think that they are average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
So only hope to only get about 10 hours of use out of your phone? I just thought the battery was better than what I am getting. Maybe my expectations were too high. I would expect at least 15 hours of use.
Again, usage varies. Depending on what you're doing you can expect a few hours of use or many hours of use. Hours of use by itself doesn't mean anything.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Brounmoney
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi74 View Post
Same as any other question on usage it's really impossible to say based solely on your OP. You have to determine what your baseline is based on your usage. Terms like "average" mean nothing. The majority of users think that they are average.


Again, usage varies. Depending on what you're doing you can expect a few hours of use or many hours of use. Hours of use by itself doesn't mean anything.
Ok so my iphone said 2 hours of usage in the setting menu and I had about 80% battery. In that time I checked gizmodo and Engadget on safari, check the forums on tapatalk app, and sent a few text messages. Not sure how much to the minute on each of those, but that is about all I did. Does that seem like normal battery drain for that.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Brounmoney
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Do you guys think we keep to close of an eye on the battery %, and make ourselves think we are using a lot of battery? I am I have posted 3 responses on tapatalk and I went from 61% to 59%. To me that seems like a lot, but maybe I just watch it too close now that I think my battery is draining faster. I think I could drive myself crazy trying to figure it out.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:05 PM   #9
mjpearce023
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
It seems like your battery is draining a little fast. Did you setup as a new phone or did your restore from a backup? If you did restore from a backup that could be the issue.
mjpearce023 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:41 PM   #10
Brounmoney
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post
It seems like your battery is draining a little fast. Did you setup as a new phone or did your restore from a backup? If you did restore from a backup that could be the issue.
I have not tried a restore at all cause when I did it started downloading 6.1 update which I already have on my phone.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:21 PM   #11
mjpearce023
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
I have not tried a restore at all cause when I did it started downloading 6.1 update which I already have on my phone.
If you get 8 or more hours of usage off one charge that's pretty good unless you use the music app all day. If your saying 2 hours off the charger and you are at 80% then that's not good but if you are getting 2 hours of usage in the setting menu then that's not bad. I'm at 35% with 5 hours usage right now but I also have 2 days off the charger.
mjpearce023 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:25 PM   #12
Brounmoney
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post
If you get 8 or more hours of usage off one charge that's pretty good unless you use the music app all day. If your saying 2 hours off the charger and you are at 80% then that's not good but if you are getting 2 hours of usage in the setting menu then that's not bad. I'm at 35% with 5 hours usage right now but I also have 2 days off the charger.
Ok so maybe I am just crazy and thought I should have better battery. I just check and I was at like 47% with almost 6 hours usages in setting. I would guess I would get close to 10 or so usage.

I am just not use to seeing it drop a couple of % points every few min when the screen is on.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:39 PM   #13
C DM
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
Ok so maybe I am just crazy and thought I should have better battery. I just check and I was at like 47% with almost 6 hours usages in setting. I would guess I would get close to 10 or so usage.

I am just not use to seeing it drop a couple of % points every few min when the screen is on.
Almost 6 hours of usage at about 50% of battery...that's actually better than what most get. In a lot of cases 6 hours of usage would be putting most people at below 25%...some even close to having a dead battery completely. So, not only is this not bad usage, it's not even just above average usage, it's actually quite a bit above average usage. Doesn't seem like there's anything to worry about at all.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:42 PM   #14
Brounmoney
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Almost 6 hours of usage at about 50% of battery...that's actually better than what most get. In a lot of cases 6 hours of usage would be putting most people at below 25%...some even close to having a dead battery completely. So, not only is this not bad usage, it's not even just above average usage, it's actually quite a bit above average usage. Doesn't seem like there's anything to worry about at all.
Ok I guess I did not look at the percentage that much before. It just seems fast when you start to use your phone and after you get done typing a reply on MR and send a text message your percentage is down 2%. I guess I just have to get use to it.

So it seems that what I am finding out is that for every 2 hours of usage you have in the setting menu you should have 20% battery drain. That is about what I average. It just seems fast I guess now that I keep an eye on it.

Last edited by Brounmoney; Feb 7, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iphone battery question blah007 iPhone 1 Nov 8, 2013 11:19 PM
iPhone 5 battery question - % way off Blueline29 iPhone 7 Sep 23, 2013 10:53 PM
iPhone 5 battery question brentg33 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Sep 23, 2013 08:19 PM
First iPhone, battery question dnelms iPhone 2 Feb 18, 2013 08:13 AM
iPhone 5 battery question ddublu iPhone 16 Oct 12, 2012 09:10 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC