Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:18 PM   #1
LorenzMeir
macrumors 6502

Microsoft Office fails to update

Hi people

Since a few updates back my MacBook isn't accepting them any more, it's stuck on the 14.2.4 Office version.
How can I have a fresh start and know where I missed an update because with all updates I try it says the proper software is missing on the hard drive?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot6.png
Views:	16
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	394966  
LorenzMeir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:56 PM   #2
fishkorp
macrumors 68020

Have you tried everything listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969065
fishkorp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:32 PM   #3
LorenzMeir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkorp View Post
Have you tried everything listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969065
Thanks, I just wanted to be sure it was inevitable solving this without, redownloading
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:24 PM   #4
petercl
macrumors newbie

Mine didn't update once because I renamed or changed the app folder. Did you do either of those things?
petercl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:42 AM   #5
LorenzMeir
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercl View Post
Mine didn't update once because I renamed or changed the app folder. Did you do either of those things?
No, but I did delete some parts of the Office pack, like Microsoft Messenger which is to me useless.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:44 AM   #6
chrfr
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzMeir View Post
No, but I did delete some parts of the Office pack, like Microsoft Messenger which is to me useless.
That is most likely your trouble.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzMeir View Post
That's probably the issue....I did that and had to re-install, but I have DVD copies. I just left the junk I don't use there...MS is fussy as. I only have it for Word really, and in fact since I sold my 17" MBP have a spare copy that isn't in use at present. Just have it on my Imac now...I think you are going to have to start afresh.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:16 PM   #8
dianeoforegon
macrumors 6502

Restarting after each update refreshes the file that tells updaters what version is installed. This is supposed to happen automatically but often fails. Restarting forces this file to update.

In your case you'll probably need to re-install. If you have one of the original install CDs, you can download the trial so you start at 14.2.0 (it's possible they have refreshed it to 14.3.0). You can use your CD Key to activate. Whatever you do, update past 14.2.0. It was full of problems.

https://www.microsoft.com/mac/trial

Current versions:
  • Office 2011: 14.3.0 (SP3)
  • Microsoft AutoUpdate (MAU) v2.3.6
  • Microsoft Error Reporting (MERP) v2.2.9

You can find the MAU and MERP in the root Library/Application Support/Microsoft folder.

Update using the Microsoft Autoupdater (MAU):
  • Open any Office application and select "Check for Updates" under Help in the Menu bar. Once MAU is launched, select "Keep in Dock"
  • Log out/in as described below.
  • Select the MAU in the Dock and download the updater.
  • After it downloads, quit the MAU then install.
  • RESTART
  • Update until there are no more updates**. Currently that's 14.3.0

No need to restart after updating the Microsoft AutoUpdater (MAU) and Microsoft Error Reporting (MERP)

**This Identity Cannot Be Opened With This Version of Outlook"
This message usually means any Identity saved with a newer version will not open in an earlier version. We see this a lot when users do a re-install of Office then fail to upgrade.

There was a database upgrade in 14.1.0, 14.1.3 and again in 14.2.0. Until you update the Identity will not open.
Disable Apps:

Log out under Apple in the Menu bar. When you log in, hold down the Shift key. This disables all login items including the hidden ones like the Microsoft Database daemon and SyncServicesAgent. All browsers must be quit to update.
dianeoforegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store