Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

I believe the Government should raise the Minimum Wage

I'm curious is to why the government hasn't raised the minimum wage. $7.25 x 40 hours every two weeks for a year is $6,960!

How is someone supposed to live of off that. In Philadelphia, housing for a single person would coast at least $600-$800 bucks.. utility's run about $250 a month.. that's without cable, food cost at least $200 (Well, I can make it stretch) Transportation cost on the bus, train etc. is at least $90 a month

I mean.. do okay, but its just seem like everyone around me is just struggling to make ends meet. its so hard out here

All these company's that are doing so well start off at 7.25 and give you no more than 30 hours and punish you for a second more!

its maddening.. okay, simple logic say if you can't make ends meet with one job, get another. fine. done deal so you working 50-60 hours a week, wanna better yourself and go to college.. How, wheres the time? gotta eat and pay rent. wheres the time to study

My point is... the quality of life just sucks right now. I feel as though the Government should do something about it. too little people are working or not making enough!!! and its just sad

Not trying make this another "The Rich vs. Poor Thread" but there really need to be some balance. I feel as though the Government should raise the minimum wage to at least $11.50-$13.00 and I fail to see how companies would go broke... More people working, the more people who buy stuff, the more people who buy stuff.. the more money corporations or whatever make.. and overall.. the more tax revenue the gov. will have.

just dont get how everything turn to ****
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2
jav6454
macrumors G5

Doing that will make companies adjust for higher wages. Laying off some employees to accommodate finances.

Moreover, each state has different costs of living (COL). (each city as well).

You can't compare $7.25/hr vs COL in Louisiana, vs COL in Texas or COL in California.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:37 PM   #3
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Not just raise the minimum wage but raise the minimum to an actual living wage. One where an individual can actually live off of it and be able to save money for emergencies and/or possibly moving up in the social class.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Doing that will make companies adjust for higher wages. Laying off some employees to accommodate finances.

Nonsense. How about executives taking far less pay, bonuses, and perks and leaving the money in the company for the employees instead? Seriously, how much does any executive need to make annually? $10,000,000 per year in total compensation isn't enough?
iMikeT is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:39 PM   #4
anonymouslurker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Nonsense. How about executives taking far less pay, bonuses, and perks and leaving the money in the company for the employees instead? Seriously, how much does any executive need to make annually? $10,000,000 per year in total compensation isn't enough?
Nonsense. Not every company in the world is a large corporation with CEOs making millions of dollars.
anonymouslurker is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:43 PM   #5
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
...Nonsense. How about executives taking far less pay, bonuses, and perks and leaving the money in the company for the employees instead?...
How about starting your own company and working your ass off? Then you can pay yourself as much as you want.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:43 PM   #6
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Moreover, each state has different costs of living (COL). (each city as well).

You can't compare $7.25/hr vs COL in Louisiana, vs COL in Texas or COL in California.

This I can agree with.

I have a friend from Texas living here in California and is barely able to make ends meet, actually she's always behind on her rent and other bills. Her habits are the same, meaning she goes out and spends like she used to but everything costs her at least 3 times what it did in Texas. She didn't realize that she'd be paying $800 per month in rent instead of the $250 she was paying in Texas.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:45 PM   #7
brad.c
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWizrd View Post
How about starting your own company and working your ass off? Then you can pay yourself as much as you want.
I like that idea, but you can only make so much with just yourself doing the work. The trick is to hire some sucker who'll work for nothing…
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:46 PM   #8
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad.c View Post
... The trick is to get some sucker who'll work for nothing…
... or at least the minimum wage!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:47 PM   #9
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
This I can agree with.

I have a friend from Texas living here in California and is barely able to make ends meet, actually she's always behind on her rent and other bills. Her habits are the same, meaning she goes out and spends like she used to but everything costs her at least 3 times what it did in Texas. She didn't realize that she'd be paying $800 per month in rent instead of the $250 she was paying in Texas.
$250 in rent? Wow that's dirt cheap.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:47 PM   #10
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslurker View Post
Nonsense. Not every company in the world is a large corporation with CEOs making millions of dollars.

Really? Look around in your shopping centers and tell me how many of them are mom and pop these days. Most are corporate franchises that pay their workers slave wages.

Quote:

I've done that all ready. And it was a small business.

If you're referring to the Steve Jobs's, Bill Gates's, Mark Zuckaberg's, and Elon Musk's of the world, my friend, those kinds of people are 1 in 1,000,000.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:49 PM   #11
danpass
macrumors 68020

Quote:
you're on the wrong forum (and especially subforum) to make such a true statement.

Now get back to the PRSI topic list page for reeducation citizen!
danpass is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:49 PM   #12
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad.c View Post
I like that idea, but you can only make so much with just yourself doing the work. The trick is to hire some sucker who'll work for nothing…

Which is exactly what these corporations do.
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:49 PM   #13
anonymouslurker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Really? Look around in your shopping centers and tell me how many of them are mom and pop these days. Most are corporate franchises that pay their workers slave wages.
Last time I checked, retail was far from the only business in existence.
anonymouslurker is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:50 PM   #14
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
...I've done that all ready. And it was a small business...
Did you pay yourself handsomely? Or were you bound by... reality?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:51 PM   #15
danpass
macrumors 68020

Quote:
......... how much does any executive need to make annually? ..........
who are you to decide?

Besides the Board agreed to the compensation. It wasn't wrestled from them.
danpass is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:52 PM   #16
Muscle Master
macrumors 6502

I believe the Government should raise the Minimum Wage

Quote:
Judging by your response... I'm going to assume you think I'm lazy and everything should be entitled to me... Let me tell you.. I tried to and still trying to start my own business. I got some credit, but you can't just walk in to a bank with a business plan that took me 3 months to perfect and asked for a loan and if I want to come up with the money.. I have to live in a shelter and save for 3 years @ $14 and hour. That's not viable to me

It ain't that easy
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:53 PM   #17
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Last time I checked, retail was far from the only business in existence.

How about listing off other sectors where it's mom and pop then? Looks like you can't do it.

Defend the rich, that's fine. They own you anyway.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:54 PM   #18
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:

Not every executive is kind hearted.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:57 PM   #19
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Judging by your response... I'm going to assume you think I'm lazy and everything should be entitled to me... Let me tell you.. I tried to and still trying to start my own business. I got some credit, but you can't just walk in to a bank with a business plan that took me 3 months to perfect and asked for a loan and if I want to come up with the money.. I have to live in a shelter and save for 3 years @ $14 and hour. That's not viable to me

It ain't that easy
No kidding. If it was easy, anybody could do it.

It wasn't easy when I did it.

Took a whole lot of hours, and sweat, and worry, and determination.

----------

Quote:
How about listing off other sectors where it's mom and pop then? Looks like you can't do it.

Maybe he's one of the rich. How would you know?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:57 PM   #20
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
who are you to decide?

Besides the Board agreed to the compensation. It wasn't wrestled from them.

I like to think we are all part of the phrase "We the People of the United States". I like to be able to participate in my government by making life better for all citizens in my country. And if it means regulating businesses who use our commons and resources, so be it.
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:57 PM   #21
anonymouslurker
macrumors regular

Quote:

Biggest catch-all that comes to mind are professional services (doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, consultants, etc). Hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of small businesses?

And I don't understand what you're insinuating about me personally, can you make it clearer please?
anonymouslurker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:59 PM   #22
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Minimum wage anywhere isn't enough to live off of. It matters not what area you live in. It's just that in CA you're going to be even farther in debt than you are in Oklahoma. I was lucky enough to find a security job paying $16 an hour when I moved to California and as a single guy with a girlfriend, that was barely enough to save anything of relevance after splitting rent from a 3 bedroom house. Now, back in Oklahoma, I'm getting post 9/11 GI bill and working part time at $10/hr and I'm finally able to set aside money each month to save.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:59 PM   #23
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Did you pay yourself handsomely? Or were you bound by... reality?

The reality was that I was the only employee working for my company. On occasion, I hired someone to assist me and I paid them well.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:59 PM   #24
danpass
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I like to think we are all part of the phrase "We the People of the United States". I like to be able to participate in my government by making life better for all citizens in my country. And if it means regulating businesses who use our commons and resources, so be it.
that's been tried ... but that wall fell.
danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:06 PM   #25
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Biggest catch-all that comes to mind are professional services (doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants, consultants, etc). Hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of small businesses?

And I don't understand what you're insinuating about me personally, can you make it clearer please?

Many of those career paths work for large corporations as it is. What's your point, everyone leave their job and start their own practice? Not everyone can do that.

I'm insinuating that you are a defender of the rich and that they own you.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
that's been tried ... but that wall fell.

Yeah because of money in politics. Take the money out and we'll have real democracy back.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
$250 in rent? Wow that's dirt cheap.

Yeah, that's why so many people move to podunk places like Texas, for cheap rent. What they don't realize is that the quality of the rest of their life also diminishes.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues