Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:49 PM   #76
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbook yes View Post
Community colleges give you the same degree as an expensive university that leaves you with a "mortgage". My brother is about to graduate from a community college with less than 10k in debt. He has worked a minimum wage job while in school, and lives with roommates. It is definitely do-able.
He'll only have an associates degree. 10k is a lot of money for 2 yrs.
Ugg is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:15 PM   #77
macbook yes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
He'll only have an associates degree. 10k is a lot of money for 2 yrs.
I thought community college was the right term, but I guess "automatic acceptance local commuter university" might be more accurate. I know that he's about to get his bachelors.

(I'm not really sure of the difference between a college and a university)
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:44 PM   #78
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
No, I mean eliminating the tax. Better they spend that money on wages for employees who, by virtue of making more money, will pay more taxes to make up for the loss of corporate taxes. Of course, it may not be an even trade so maybe taxes would be much lower. Just throwing an idea out there.
You really think getting rid of the corperate tax will make them pay their workers more? No it won't. the CEO and board will put it into their personal accounts.

Also, most " Top Tier " university give you no better education than a state run or city run college, but they charge you will over 100,000 dollars for it.

Last edited by G51989; Feb 9, 2013 at 09:11 PM.
G51989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:10 PM   #79
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbook yes View Post
I thought community college was the right term, but I guess "automatic acceptance local commuter university" might be more accurate. I know that he's about to get his bachelors.

(I'm not really sure of the difference between a college and a university)

Really? I went to TCC ( Tallahassee community college ), I only paid for books, thats it, the rest was provided by the City. It was like 700 dollars for 2 years. Then I went to 4 more years at FSU, and now I make well over 200,000 a year, I would say community college's are good things.

I would also support the minimum wage to be upped to at least 14.50 an hour.

What drives an economy? Not people hiding profits in offshore accounts. Consumer spending drives it, give people more money and they will spend more.
G51989 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:46 PM   #80
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Don't like minimum wage?

Get a skill that someone is willing to pay more for.

Cant do that?

Learn to like saying "do you want fries with that" and getting a low end wage.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:48 AM   #81
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
You really think getting rid of the corperate tax will make them pay their workers more? No it won't. the CEO and board will put it into their personal accounts.

Also, most " Top Tier " university give you no better education than a state run or city run college, but they charge you will over 100,000 dollars for it.

Reading comprehension much? I said legislate a living wage in exchange for lower or no corporate tax. Who the hell would trust a corporation to do the right thing? And what the hell do college costs have to do with this?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:02 AM   #82
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Don't like minimum wage?

Get a skill that someone is willing to pay more for.

Cant do that?

Learn to like saying "do you want fries with that" and getting a low end wage.
Way to avoid the actual discussion with the stock response.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:14 AM   #83
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
I agree that large corporations can do better by spending more money on their own workers and less on their executives.
Rarely have I seen where that statement would actually work out in a meaningful way for the workers.

Take Walmart, for example. Rough numbers, looks like if you split literally every penny of the key executives compensation amongst the employees, it'd work out to $24/year for each employee.

From your other posts in this thread, it sounds like you're looking for something with significantly more impact than that.

Yahoo Finance list of Walmart's Key Executives:

Michael Terry Duke - CEO
Charles M. Holley - CFO
Neil M. Ashe - CEO e-commerce
Douglas McMillion - CEO international
William S. Simon - CEO US

Business Week's report of 2012 Total Compensation:

Michael Terry Duke - $18,131,738
Charles M. Holley - $5,112,172
Neil M. Ashe - $11,247,988
Douglas McMillion - $10,961,404
William S. Simon - $8,443,168

2,200,000 = number of Walmart employees
aristobrat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:15 AM   #84
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Rarely have I seen where that statement would actually work out in a meaningful way for the workers.

Take Walmart, for example. Rough numbers, looks like if you split literally every penny of the key executives compensation amongst the employees, it'd work out to $24/year for each employee.
You're leaving out that much of this compensation for higher ups is based off the execution of plans that leave the workers with even less, a nice uptick in stock for the vultures, and usually some stock that matures in a few years.

Actively working to make sure you get as much work from your machinery (some call them people) for as little as possible, **** it they can work 3 jobs or their not "trying hard enough"!

American Capitalism, its a beautiful thing.

NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:30 AM   #85
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
You're leaving out that much of this compensation for higher ups is based off the execution of plans that leave the workers with even less, a nice uptick in stock for the vultures, and usually some stock that matures in a few years.
The links provided completely break it down completely, no?

For example, Mr. Ashe.

Annual Compensation*
Salary $36,996
Bonus $500,000
Total Annual Compensation $536,996

Stock Options*
Restricted Stock Awards $10,710,952
All Other Compensation $40

Total Compensation*
Total Annual Cash Compensation $537,036
Total Short Term Compensation $536,996
Other Long Term Compensation $10,710,992
Total Calculated Compensation $11,247,988
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:36 AM   #86
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
The links provided completely break it down completely, no?

For example, Mr. Ashe.

Annual Compensation*
Salary $36,996
Bonus $500,000
Total Annual Compensation $536,996

Stock Options*
Restricted Stock Awards $10,710,952
All Other Compensation $40

Total Compensation*
Total Annual Cash Compensation $537,036
Total Short Term Compensation $536,996
Other Long Term Compensation $10,710,992
Total Calculated Compensation $11,247,988
It doesn't say what the incentives for this pay are. Thats the crux of all of this.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:08 PM   #87
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Or, you could look at their profits. $15.7 billion in 2011. So let's make it $10 billion, still a damn good sum of money. That would give each worker an average of $2,600 more a year. It's perfectly doable, but profit and stockholder payout is far more important than employee wages.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:13 PM   #88
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
Or, you could look at their profits.
That's where I'd personally think the change would have to come from, but FWIW, I was specifically speaking to iMikeT's point about "How about executives taking far less pay, bonuses, and perks and leaving the money in the company for the employees instead? Seriously, how much does any executive need to make annually? $10,000,000 per year in total compensation isn't enough?"
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:44 PM   #89
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
Or, you could look at their profits. $15.7 billion in 2011. So let's make it $10 billion, still a damn good sum of money. That would give each worker an average of $2,600 more a year. It's perfectly doable, but profit and stockholder payout is far more important than employee wages.
When you own a company, you decide what to do with the money.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:59 PM   #90
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
When you own a company.Your shareholders and wall street will tell you what to do, or ruin you. This includes cutting wages and benefits for your workers. Look at the pressure coscto is under for paying its workers living wages. The " shareholders " would prefer to see the workers get paid under a livable wage so they can make slightly more on each share.
Fixed that for you!

Last edited by G51989; Feb 10, 2013 at 09:27 PM.
G51989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:33 PM   #91
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
When you own a company, you decide what to do with the money.
Thanks for your deep insight. I have learned a lot.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:37 AM   #92
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
Really? I went to TCC ( Tallahassee community college ), I only paid for books, thats it, the rest was provided by the City. It was like 700 dollars for 2 years. Then I went to 4 more years at FSU, and now I make well over 200,000 a year, I would say community college's are good things.

I would also support the minimum wage to be upped to at least 14.50 an hour.

What drives an economy? Not people hiding profits in offshore accounts. Consumer spending drives it, give people more money and they will spend more.

Damn right. You can actually get a world class education at a community college for next to nothing. The only problem is the fact that they only offer Associate degrees so a student has to transfer for a Bachelor's. Definitely great for getting general eds out of the way cheaply and taking classes where a student just wants to learn a subject, skill, or for fun.

+1 for the minimum wage to be raise to a living wage.

Exactly. Keeping that money flowing with consumer demand puts money in everyone's pocket. An 8 year old playing the board game of Monopoly realizes it's game over when one person has all the cash and can't spend enough of it. Why don't more people realize that basic economics is indeed this simple?
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues