Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I upgraded my 2008 MacBook Pro from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. I had wiped my drive clean before the upgrade (ya, I now know that was unnecessary :) Now, when I try to use the Application Install DVD that came with my MBP it won't mount. The drive takes the DVD, spins it up and down a few times, then shows 'Untitled DVD' on the desktop that when opened is blank. Other CD's and DVD's work fine. I've tried using an Optical Drive Cleaning Disc, confirmed that the “CDs, DVDs and iPods” option is enabled in Preferences, re-setting the SMC and even setting the date back to 2009 for Disc Permissions (or something like that :) Is there a solution? Thanks

Mike

blatopilot

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Sign into the App store and check to see if the applications are in your purchased tab...If not, I'm not sure what else you can do beside calling Apple....

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Sign into the App store and check to see if the applications are in your purchased tab...If not, I'm not sure what else you can do beside calling Apple....

Thanks, I'll give that a try. It's been suggested that the Applications Install DVD won't work with an OS newer than what my laptop had when I bought it (Leopard). Could that be true?

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Ok, both iMovie and Garageband are available for install under Purchases in the App Store. I'd still like to be able to get other applications like iPhoto off that install DVD.

blatopilot

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Thanks, I'll give that a try. It's been suggested that the Applications Install DVD won't work with an OS newer than what my laptop had when I bought it (Leopard). Could that be true?

That is possible if not likely. I don't know if its due to drivers or other reasons. If you put a Snow Leopard disc in your machine it wouldn't read that either.

To downgrade from ML, you'd have to erase the HD and then try to boot from the CD...

I would have thought iphoto would be in the app store. There are other methods that you could try (such as using Pacificist to extract from your disc), but that is a bit more advanced unless you are comfortable with it. Since you have already paid for it, I'd call Apple support first and see if there is an official way to install.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
That is possible if not likely. I don't know if its due to drivers or other reasons. If you put a Snow Leopard disc in your machine it wouldn't read that either.

To downgrade from ML, you'd have to erase the HD and then try to boot from the CD...

I would have thought iphoto would be in the app store. There are other methods that you could try (such as using Pacificist to extract from your disc), but that is a bit more advanced unless you are comfortable with it. Since you have already paid for it, I'd call Apple support first and see if there is an official way to install.

Thanks. Tried Pacifist but it says 'No known Apple install packages were found on any inserted disks'. I'm starting to think it's a disc drive problem. I'm sure iPhoto is in the App Store too. Garageband and iMovie were there under Purchases just because i had upgraded to a newer version for both.

Edit: Just got it over with and downloaded iPhoto from the App Store :) no big deal.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.