Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManOfMystery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
I have a mid 2007 white MacBook that I have used consistently since I bought it new. I haven't used it in the past few months and decided to sell it. When I plugged it in I noticed the battery is no longer charging and the computer dies as soon as I unplug it. The led lights on the battery no longer work either. It's odd though because Apple replaced my battery back in April 2011 (to replace a swelling one) and it has worked perfectly since then. Now suddenly it is not working at all.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it the battery or something else? Is there any chance Apple would issue a replacement for such an old model (They did a year and a half ago). I would like to make the roughly $300 these models are selling for, but without a battery it won't get near as much. I'd consider spending the $100 to get the best deal for it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a mid 2007 white MacBook that I have used consistently since I bought it new. I haven't used it in the past few months and decided to sell it. When I plugged it in I noticed the battery is no longer charging and the computer dies as soon as I unplug it. The led lights on the battery no longer work either. It's odd though because Apple replaced my battery back in April 2011 (to replace a swelling one) and it has worked perfectly since then. Now suddenly it is not working at all.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it the battery or something else? Is there any chance Apple would issue a replacement for such an old model (They did a year and a half ago). I would like to make the roughly $300 these models are selling for, but without a battery it won't get near as much. I'd consider spending the $100 to get the best deal for it.
How long was it stored and how much charge did it have when you stored it? Apple recommends a 50% charge if storing a battery for 6 months or more. Take it to apple and have them check to see if the battery is dead or defective.

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of battery health and cycles and computer uptime, among many other things. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

ManOfMystery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
It has been stored (not used) for about 3 months. It had 100% charge when I stored it. It stayed mostly plugged in to a power source while I used it. (But I read in your link that isn't ideal). I read your link and I am downloading the program you suggested. Below is the info I got from system information. Perhaps you will see something of interest:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Manufacturer: DP
Device Name: ASMB016
Pack Lot Code: 2
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 110
Hardware Revision: 500
Cell Revision: 102
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 0
Fully Charged: No
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4852
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 192
Condition: Replace Now
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 4854

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Automatic Restart on Power Loss: No
Wake on AC Change: No
Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake on LAN: No
Current Power Source: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0
RestartAfterKernelPanic: 157680000
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 180
Wake on AC Change: No
Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes
RestartAfterKernelPanic: 157680000

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0100
Wattage (W): 60
Revision: 0x0000
Family: 0x00ba
Serial Number: 0x004e8906
Charging: No

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.