Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
I am in the market for a new smartphone or a tablet. Currently I only have a rmbp15. I figured that if I buy the ipad mini then I don't need a smartphone and I can sell my rmbp15. its cheaper than the iphone5 too.

But I also figured that at home I don't really need ipad cause I use my notebook on bed, the couch, sofa, desk and toilet. I have a machine that is better at multitasking, can run full fledged OS apps and has more power. And on the road I could buy a more mobile smartphone with a better camera.

Do I need a tablet if I already own a notebook? I noticed that people are using the tablets on the toilet but I don't see why cant use my notebook on the toilet which is in fact what I am already doing now

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It doesn't matter if we need these things, what do you need?

You could possibly use the LTE Mini instead of a phone, best to try it first to see how feasible it realy is for you.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Not you again. Can't you figure out which of an iphone, ipad, rmbp or desktop you need and just get on with life? Really, if you go around spending thousands on equipment without giving the decision any intelligent thought then we can't help you. It's pretty apt that you posted this from the toilet.

S

syd430

Do I need a tablet if I already own a notebook? I noticed that people are using the tablets on the toilet but I don't see why cant use my notebook on the toilet which is in fact what I am already doing now

Only in America...

Last edited by a moderator:

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I thought I was indecisive. Read through a couple of your posts in your history... Jesus Christ man!

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
If you can afford a 15" rMBP, then why are you worrying about either getting a smartphone or iPad mini????

I have an iPad mini. But for me is only good for media consumption. When at home, only thing I use is the mini. Nonetheless I do need a computer since I program android (yeah in a Mac, sue me :p), php and some other stuff nearly impossible and difficult to do in a tablet.

Do I need an iPhone, iPad mini and MBP????? Absolutely. Unless I'm traveling, my iPad never leaves my home since it is a distraction all the time. My iPhone keeps me connected all the time. Once at home, the iPad mini is all I use.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I have a 13 + 15" cMBP and two iPads, iPhone and iPod Touch
Will probably get an iPad 5, 15" rMBP and maybe an iPAd mini soon. :D

Banjoguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
So while not entirely in line with the discussion of this thread I thought this might be the appropriate place to ask this question.... It was drawn to my attention that there is now a hard drive for the iPad, it is a 1tb handheld and sells for around $100 US. I've been looking to purchase an iPad for my note taking and when I asked what the ram of the machine was I was told that the gen 2,3,4s have 1 gig, but I have full access to all the ram in the thing such as 16 in the 16, 32 in the 32 etc... So the question is, if I can get a hard drive to run on my iPad do I really need the larger storage models, in that sense, I would assume it would run like a computer, ram and file access. Now I know that there are some heavy duty apps out there, but if I can store my files on the HD and can get away with some lessor memory hogging apps, do I need the larger models ( 32, 64, and remarkably 128 ) if not, this seems to be a suitable alternative to a laptop to me......thoughts.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
A tablet will not replace my MBP....

As far as using your device on the toilet....well that's pretty funny. When I am in the crap house, I prefer to do my deed alone without distraction. I get in, get out, and get on with living life.....unbelievable....

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
I certainly do, the iPad is way overpriced for the storage and the OS it offers.
I can't program on an iPad, I can't Photoshop, I can't Game ( real gaming ), I can't use Extern HDD's, SD Cards, Mouses, I can't store files on it, I can't check Flash-containing websites, there are so much more things I just can't do on an iPad I can on my notebook.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
I prefer to browse the internet when I use the crapper. I think its too boring and my time is valuable. Might as well multitask and make the most of my time

So what is the definitive answer. I don't do any programming or photoshopping at all

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I prefer to browse the internet when I use the crapper. I think its too boring and my time is valuable. Might as well multitask and make the most of my time

Hire an intern to do that for you. Or maybe since your time is super valuable you should be working on the toilet instead of goofing off.

So what is the definitive answer. I don't do any programming or photoshopping at all

The definitive answer is to buy one to try for yourself, and if you don't like it retunr the thing.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Laptop offers better internet experience, it's also not as limited as iPad is, you are in control. For some people that is quite obviously a bad thing because you can mess up the OS easier but for me it's good.

iPad mini and other tablets offer better portability, that's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.