Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rstinson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Columbus
Someone stolen it from my son gym bag at school. It is still showing as offline on Find Mi IPhone.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
Someone stolen it from my son gym bag at school. It is still showing as offline on Find Mi IPhone.

Chances are they took out SIM card and turned off wifi, or they wiped it.

Report the serial number to the police, give serial and police report reference number to Apple stores near you, they may very well do nothing, but it can't hurt.

rstinson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Columbus
I did report it to the Police. If they removed the SIM card, will it still shows offline. I am new to this technology. Just trying to figure out why it still says offline. From day one that's what it has been saying. I started to track it an hour later after it went missing Dam High School Student and it tills say offline.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I did report it to the Police. If they removed the SIM card, will it still shows offline. I am new to this technology. Just trying to figure out why it still says offline. From day one that's what it has been saying. I started to track it an hour later after it went missing Dam High School Student and it tills say offline.

Whatever devices are associated with your account will continue to appear in the find my device screen.* It's a function of the device having been registered to the account, not that it's "seeing" a device (not like in the movies where if it's turned off it disappears from view; you're seeing a placeholder, not a representation of an actual device).

*My son's iPhone was stolen over the summer, it's since been turned off but continues to show up on the iCloud screen because I'm too lazy to delete it.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

Really good chance they wiped it clean and removed Sim card. As long as it stays offline you will not be able to track it. Best bet was what you did by reporting to police. Chances of getting it back are slim though. I know this is not what you want to hear but that is the reality of the situation.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
cant they put it on the black list like they do phones? You may not get it back, but at least someone elese cant activate the cell list.

22hand

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2009
cant they put it on the black list like they do phones? You may not get it back, but at least someone elese cant activate the cell list.

so looks like findiphone doesn't help much, I have mine got stolen as well, report to police and apple with IMEI, but that's it..nothing they can do.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
so looks like findiphone doesn't help much, I have mine got stolen as well, report to police and apple with IMEI, but that's it..nothing they can do.

It does plenty, there are any number of situations where you may have misplaced a device and find it useful to locate it via a remote tone or GPS location. It was not specifically intended as an investigative tool where someone intentionally takes the device.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is why you should engrave it.

What would engraving do. Just put a case on it and the engraving is not visible.

OP, sorry to hear about the loss - I worry about this myself when I take my iPad mini to public places and there' a chance that it could be left alone in my coat.

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
Although I do agree putting a case on it does hide the engraving, but the engraving will make it harder to sell, if stollen or reselling by the owner.

Either way engraving is not a good idea who would want someones name on their property.

rstinson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Columbus
Thanks for all of the comments, my husband says the something, but a tough pill for me to digest. This is literal making me sick. I call Apple so now have to get the law enforcement to call before I can find out if someone else has setup a new account with it. How can they tell I don't know, but worth a try. He just got it for Christmas and I am mad as HELL, because he has been crying enough.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
this is why i like jailbreak..so i can use android lock screen and make weird design code and they wouldn't be able to open.....

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
this is why i like jailbreak..so i can use android lock screen and make weird design code and they wouldn't be able to open.....

Anyone with a clue knows how to bypass any locks and restore the device. Heck if they don't know they can walk into any Apple Store and find out.

'Hi how can we help you today?'
"My kid locked himself out of his iPad. Is there is way to fix that?"
'We can help you with that. But we'll have to restore it which will wipe everything out.'
'That would be okay, he's backing it up to that cloud thing. But he has it with him and I don't think I'll be able to come back before he needs it for school tomorrow. Can I do it at home?'
'Yeah just (whatever the trick is)’

Problem solved. And unlike unlocks, jailbreaks don't screw the firmware so its a guaranteed brick if you try to restore it. Even if it does, it was stolen so you aren't out any money. Heck if its under warranty you could claim it was acting up and you tried to restore etc and possibly get a replacement.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Treat all Apple devices like you are carrying around a fistful of cash. As soon as you put down that fistful of cash down somewhere (like a public bench), someone will steal it the moment you are not looking.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Treat all Apple devices like you are carrying around a fistful of cash. As soon as you put down that fistful of cash down somewhere (like a public bench), someone will steal it the moment you are not looking.

Sadly, I have to agree with you. It is a shame that people take something that doesn't belong to them.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
You don't have to unlock it to wipe it.

............. so true :(

----------

Anyone with a clue knows how to bypass any locks and restore the device. Heck if they don't know they can walk into any Apple Store and find out.

'Hi how can we help you today?'
"My kid locked himself out of his iPad. Is there is way to fix that?"
'We can help you with that. But we'll have to restore it which will wipe everything out.'
'That would be okay, he's backing it up to that cloud thing. But he has it with him and I don't think I'll be able to come back before he needs it for school tomorrow. Can I do it at home?'
'Yeah just (whatever the trick is)’

Problem solved. And unlike unlocks, jailbreaks don't screw the firmware so its a guaranteed brick if you try to restore it. Even if it does, it was stolen so you aren't out any money. Heck if its under warranty you could claim it was acting up and you tried to restore etc and possibly get a replacement.

:( so true. i forgot about that.

rstinson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Columbus

You are right about that. Hard lesson for my teenage, to have to learn

----------

Agreed. Unfortunate, but you can not leave it out of your sight.

It was not just left out, in my son's gym bag at school

----------

Sadly, I have to agree with you. It is a shame that people take something that doesn't belong to them.

I agree with you on that

kitzuki

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2009

So True. Don't leave it where you cant see it.

When I was in middle school high school I always Had my gameboy color gameboy advance insight or with someone i highly trust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.