Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:17 AM   #26
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Your lack of Android knowledge is showing
Your lack of knowledge is showing. Period.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:20 AM   #27
kerrikins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztooh View Post
Since when does Apple develop and produce the screens on their phones and tablets?
Isn't that a little obtuse? Apple's obviously the one who demanded it from the manufacturers, otherwise we would have seen it before Apple on other devices/manufacturers. Just because Apple isn't the company who made it doesn't mean that they're not the ones who came up with the idea.

I do think that iOS needs a bit of a refresh, hopefully they'll look to that with the next release. It's something they have to be careful with, though, because the 'easy to use' component is why so many people have flocked to the iPhone over the years. It's why it even became so popular in the first place. If they change things up too much then they risk alienating parts of their userbase.
kerrikins is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:32 AM   #28
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

OP download a few new apps and get yourself a new case and you will feel better.
abz1981 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:00 AM   #29
Cody21
macrumors 6502a

First off, I have an iPhone 5. Second, Both iOS and Android have room for improvement. I have owned and iPhone since the 3G came out, but I have also owned a few android phones in that time period. After having experience with both, I just prefer iOS over Android. I will admit though, I would like for Apple to make some UI changes to iOS, but I'm not gonna ditch the iPhone just to have a different UI. And I wouldn't be surprised if Apple starts making some changes starting with iOS 7. Regardless, the iPhone and iOS still does everything I want it to do, and it does it well. So until it stops doing what I need it to do, I'm gonna stick with it.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:43 AM   #30
BHP41
macrumors 6502a

Seriously considering going back to BB as my work phone. Just gotta get my hands on one.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:53 AM   #31
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
The OP is talking about the os. Sure there are phone makers that make larger screens, but as far as os, ios and android os are both "boring". They both have problems. ios is is too contolled. Android is too fragmented. Both could use an overhaul.
The issue is that these are conflicting things. Android is fragmented because it's open, and iOS has good apps because it's closed
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:13 AM   #32
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Leaving? Don't be dramatic. Just don't buy their products again.
GoCubsGo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:20 AM   #33
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by macness View Post
I love my iPhone as I do the rest of my apple products. And I'm not jacking for some "cool new feature " or anything like that. All I want them to do is to make me feel like I'm hurting a new device when I buy a new device. The OS is just boring to me. I love the way everything works, but the tiled layout is starting to make me feel like I'm using an "easy to use" phone. If they don't freshens hinges up a bit I'll have to switch phones. I love my apple ecosystem and iCloud and how everything about iOS is so well laid out... But it's just getting so boring. I'd never thought I'd be saying any of this, especially this soon. Thank you for bumping up the specs, speed, camera,screen size, but just freshen the iOS up.
For starters, I think one of Apple's goals was to have an "easy to use" device. If it wasn't so easy, it wouldn't sell as well as it does. What are your ideas to freshen things up and get you to feel like you're "hurting"?

For me, the iPhone is a tool and it works well for my needs. Regardless of what Apple comes out with next, I'm likely to buy it because I doubt they're going to make such a drastic and negative change that would force me to leave for another brand.

You have to do what is right for you. If you're not happy with the iPhone, get something that you like better. No worries.
SandboxGeneral is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:23 AM   #34
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Your lack of Android knowledge is showing
Prior to ICS 4.0 I would agree, however I have had iOS since the 3G and that is boring, same icons, same old Apple. I just gave my son my IP5 and moved to the Samsung Galaxy Note II, and could not be happier. A whole new fresh OS, with some really cool features as well. I had the SGIII for 3 weeks, and thought the Note II was too big, until I started to use it, now I put off buying an iPad Mini bc the Mini is a fail to me without Retina. I only use Apple products at home, however being fully entrenched into the Apple echo system has left me alone on the sidewalk.

See the new Android phones they are nice, also Win 8 mobile is smooth on the Nokia 920, I just hate Windows 8 otherwise it is a nice phone.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:23 AM   #35
Dorkington
macrumors 6502a

I'm torn.

iOS has the best developer community, in terms of app store apps. And I think the jailbreak developer community is awesome as well. But the problem is, it's becoming more and more difficult to jailbreak, and iOS seems to have stagnated in a big way.

Android, even with it's quirks, has come a long long ways. I have a Nexus 7 and really enjoy it. The only thing I really miss on the Android side is... the "app store" community. There may be a lot of apps on Android, but I feel like there are fewer really high quality ones.

Currently I have an iPhone 4S and Nexus 7... I might end up with the next Nexus phone, and the next iPad Mini... who knows. Either way, we have some good choices out there. I just wish Apple would push iOS to the next step.
Dorkington is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:50 AM   #36
jer9542
macrumors member

OP, if you haven't yet, I'd highly reccomend trying out a jailbreak. The options are almost unlimited.
jer9542 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:04 AM   #37
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Android has become quite stale too. Perhaps you should give windows or blackberry a shot.
I just tried Jelly Bean for a few days and am so glad to be back on my iPhone 5. I had thought Jelly Bean would be refreshing but Nope!
tl01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:20 AM   #38
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by macness View Post
I don't need a bigger screen. That's not the problem. I just think the iOS needs a major facelift and a little less makeup
Be specific. What do you want on iOS that would make it a "major facelift?"

Clearly you have something in mind that would be considered "innovative" and not just "makeup." So what is it?

And remember: pointing to something on another OS and saying "I want that" isn't innovating. It's just catching up. In which case, you might as well "leave" now to that platform that you point to.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:24 AM   #39
MyNameIsDave
macrumors member

I don't have any issues with my iPhone 5. It looks basically the same as the iPhone 3 I used to have, but so what! It works and the whole ecosystem around it works as well.

I've tried other phones and always come back to the iPhone. Even if iOS7 is nothing more than a bug fixed iOS6, I wouldn't leave.

Before I get accused of being a fan boy, I'm not. I'm quite prepared to say that not everything Apple does is golden.
MyNameIsDave is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:39 AM   #40
syd430

For me, when people complain about iOS being "boring", it's more of an indication that that person has little to do with their smartphone other than fumbling around home screens, rather than immersing themselves in the apps themselves (be it for consumption or productivity).

Personally, I want the OS to do 3 things: 1) Allow me very quick and efficient access to apps. 2) Have an intuitive and efficient system for handling settings and utilities between the OS and apps. 3) Do the above 2 in extremely fast and fluid manner whilst remaining visually pleasing.

In my opinion, iOS does the above 3 things better than the competing OS's (again, strictly my subjective opinion) but there is always room for improvement to make something even better and more efficient.
  6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:56 AM   #41
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

I think iOS 7 will be fresh departure from iOS 6.

For one, Scott Forstall is no longer at Apple. His responsibilities are now handled by Eddy Cue, Jony Ives, and Craig Federighi - three very talented people.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:59 AM   #42
blueroom
macrumors 603

Leaving? Where would I be going?
blueroom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:07 AM   #43
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl01 View Post
I just tried Jelly Bean for a few days and am so glad to be back on my iPhone 5. I had thought Jelly Bean would be refreshing but Nope!
When I had ICS for a few days, I first felt liberated by its easy to change interface. Then I realized all I actually wanted was icons on the front screen (btw, the worst part about touchwiz is it is one row short on the SGSIII). Then I realized I was never using the widgets and none of them were remotely useful. Then I realized I hated touchwiz and switched to Novalauncher. Then I realized that the best widget (touchwiz weather widget) was not available in Novalauncher. Soon there were icons on my screen I didn't put there through the free version of Novalauncher so I switched back to touchwiz.

In the end, I couldn't get used to the SGSIII and I felt that I missed the iPhone interface. As a result I went back to the iPhone 5. I don't care what new things it does, I like iOS for what it is even if it isn't the next big thing. After all, OS X hasn't really been the "next big thing" ever while windows has released three iterations since OS X's official launch.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:22 AM   #44
CEmajr
macrumors 68030

I've used several Androids over the years and recently even used an HTC Windows 8X. Right now I have an iPhone 5 and the iPhone 3G was my first smartphone.

At the end of the day the iPhone just gets everything I need done the most efficiently of those 3 OS's, has the best battery life, and the most apps and high quality apps. It's reliable and stable and the hardware is probably the best designed on the market. There are a few small features I wouldn't mind being added like call blocking and a file storage system but for now the other phones just don't compare. iPhone gets the job done and I'll being staying put for the foreseeable future.
CEmajr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:29 AM   #45
macness
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta0jin View Post
Android or iOS they all basically do the same thing you just have more freedom and options with Android. I do have to say I don't believe iOS is boring I just think most people have become bored with it and it could use a little sprucing up.
Exactly
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:31 AM   #46
Attonine
macrumors 6502

I am already in the Apple eco-system. For me to ditch my iPhone, other devices will need to be as simple to sync as the iDevices and iTunes. I also have no desire to spend out replacing apps for other OS's.

I received a Kindle Fire HD just before Xmas. I need to use Android File Transfer app to transfer media from my Mac onto the Kindle. I need to root around in my iTunes library to locate my media files to then drag into the Android app. Result.....I only use the Kindle for books and light browsing, maybe some skype use, never for music listening, movie watching. If the Kindle experience can be made as simple and seamless as the iDevice experience, then I may consider other devices when I look to replace ones I already have, if not I will just stick to iDevices.
Attonine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:09 AM   #47
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Leaving? Where would I be going?
Indeed.

I've tried the others, which is why I have an iPhone.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:25 AM   #48
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
Prior to ICS 4.0 I would agree, however I have had iOS since the 3G and that is boring, same icons, same old Apple. I just gave my son my IP5 and moved to the Samsung Galaxy Note II, and could not be happier. A whole new fresh OS, with some really cool features as well. I had the SGIII for 3 weeks, and thought the Note II was too big, until I started to use it, now I put off buying an iPad Mini bc the Mini is a fail to me without Retina. I only use Apple products at home, however being fully entrenched into the Apple echo system has left me alone on the sidewalk.

See the new Android phones they are nice, also Win 8 mobile is smooth on the Nokia 920, I just hate Windows 8 otherwise it is a nice phone.
I've been a big mobile enthusiast long before there was such a thing as a smartphone. Prior to iOS & Android I've been deeply involved in both Mac & Windows on the desktop. Thus my only point is my position is as a cross platform user, I'm not aligned permanently within any Eco Sytem or Platform.

Upon the original iPhone release I bought one. Then later upon the first Android release I bought one of those. Because Apple had a substantial headstart, they were somewhat more advanced until Android 4.0. Next up Jelly Bean 4.1 revealed an OS much more advanced than any version of iOS at that juncture. A fact that reveals the normal ebb & flow as various manufacturers develop their products.

Using both concurrently has been a very interesting & enjoyable experience. Both having their pros & cons, mainstream users have never had more usable & fun choices than they do at the present. As usual, it all simply boils down to personal preference.

Apples stroke of brilliance was creating iTunes, a way to lock users into Apples walled garden. And if not locked, Apples got them feeling that way due to their investment in Apps & other Apple proprietary media.

Now that Android has the fairly mature Google Play Store, and other resources available to Android users, Apples lead is all but neutralized.

Of even greater significance & a distinct Android advantage, is the wide variety of device choices & price points, which Apple will never be able to match.

2013 promises to be a banner year for Google's Android. How Apple copes with this will be very interesting.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:46 AM   #49
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attonine View Post
I am already in the Apple eco-system. For me to ditch my iPhone, other devices will need to be as simple to sync as the iDevices and iTunes. I also have no desire to spend out replacing apps for other OS's.

I received a Kindle Fire HD just before Xmas. I need to use Android File Transfer app to transfer media from my Mac onto the Kindle. I need to root around in my iTunes library to locate my media files to then drag into the Android app. Result.....I only use the Kindle for books and light browsing, maybe some skype use, never for music listening, movie watching. If the Kindle experience can be made as simple and seamless as the iDevice experience, then I may consider other devices when I look to replace ones I already have, if not I will just stick to iDevices.
You're expecting something to be seamless with a foreign Ecosystem. Of course an android device won't play well with iTunes. You have to use each device with their own ecosystem. The kindle works seamlessly with Amazon's Eco system and android plays well with googles.

Last edited by TacticalDesire; Feb 7, 2013 at 01:53 PM.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:57 AM   #50
Dmaynard83
macrumors 6502a

Also don't forget on android phones they put on carrier **** on there unlike iPhones.

Also I notice not all android devices aren't optimized with the OS.

Which is probably the reason the frame rate isn't as good when you navigate around the interface.
Dmaynard83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone