Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clearbags24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Australia
Hi, I have a 2012 Airport Express and it drops out frequently (skipping). I have tried connecting it via wifi and with the LAN cable but same issue. Some days it streams flawlessly and other days it barely streams at all. after a while it will completely stop streaming and kill the airplay function all together. The unit is in close proximity to the router and i have a really speedy internet connection. This is a real pain in the ass as i like to have my ipad set up on my coffee table while i play music through the stereo..........Any Help?

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Sounds like you have a lemon. Is it still under warranty? If so, you know what to do..

Hi, I have a 2012 Airport Express and it drops out frequently (skipping). I have tried connecting it via wifi and with the LAN cable but same issue. Some days it streams flawlessly and other days it barely streams at all. after a while it will completely stop streaming and kill the airplay function all together. The unit is in close proximity to the router and i have a really speedy internet connection. This is a real pain in the ass as i like to have my ipad set up on my coffee table while i play music through the stereo..........Any Help?

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I had 2 airport expresses in my home and had constant problems with them dropping out. I tried absolutely everything to resolve it, but couldn't get them to work properly. I reset them, downgraded the firmware, changed the settings, location in the house, etc., nothing worked. Watching itunes movies or netflix would work fine one day, then stop the next. It would also drop my internet connection every 4 days or so.

I finally had enough and sold both of them and bought myself an Asus RT-N66U Dark Night router. Couldn't be happier. It handily outperforms the 2 airport expresses I had. It streams to any location in the house with ease.

I have a 2 story house and realize that the airport express was probably not designed to work in this type of environment. It's probably best suited to an apartment or small bungalow.

Sorry I couldn't help you, but just wanted to tell you what I ended up doing.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Are you talking about airplaying to your stereo? (Ie no appletv involved?) Is the AE being used as a base station or to extend your wifi network? Dropouts are a known issue IF you're also using the AE to extend your network. Otherwise, if you've set up the AE to merely join your existing wifi network you shouldn't be having any trouble...unless you have some kind of wifi interference ( not unheard of).

Regards,
Tom
P.s. I'm an expert ever since setting up an AE to stream music yesterday.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
a lot of times, the problem is with the main base station
I've got a linksys, and was having constant dropouts, and occasionally the router would reboot. After some time with google, i disabled "WMM support" and have been rock solid ever since.

try google-ing your router model and "airplay" see if anything comes up.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
a lot of times, the problem is with the main base station
I've got a linksys, and was having constant dropouts, and occasionally the router would reboot. After some time with google, i disabled "WMM support" and have been rock solid ever since.

try google-ing your router model and "airplay" see if anything comes up.
I had just gotten a new Actiontec C1000A and was starting to get AirPlay dropouts on my AX. Disabling WMM (prioritization) did the trick! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.