Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Mellow-
macrumors newbie

How to find iPod touch folder

Is it possible to find the ipod touch (5th gen) folder?

It shows up on itunes just fine. I read that the iPod touch and iPhone don't appear on the desktop since they are not recognized as a flash drive on the Mac, or something along those lines.
Mellow- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:44 AM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604

they are not flash drives anyway and will not function as flash drives.

They do not show up since Apple hides the folder structure to prevent people from messing around with the files. That's why people jailbreak - to get into the system.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:22 AM   #3
Kallen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
they are not flash drives anyway and will not function as flash drives.

They do not show up since Apple hides the folder structure to prevent people from messing around with the files. That's why people jailbreak - to get into the system.
Actually, this is a Windows limitation...I can't speak for OSX. I rnu Mint Linux, and when I plug in a non-jailbroken iDevice, I have full access to the program folders, including Apple apps likes iBooks. I can also copy/paste files just like a thumbdrive. Here's an example: I use the app called Checkbook. It saves your registry (as in checkbook leger) as a .sql file. I use this app primarily on my iPod, but do have the app also on my iPad. I can navigate to the folder and copy that .sql freely between my devices.

That being said, I did discover a limitation. The file HAS to be copied directly from one device to the other (so both iDevices are plugged in at the same time)... My initial attempt to do this, I had copied the .sql file from the ipod to my HD, then plugged in the ipad and copied it over. This caused the app to crash when it tried to access the file. Apparently, copying to the HD changes some permissions or something. But if copied directly from device to device, works just fine.

Now, when I plug my iDevices into Windows 7, it can not see anything except photos. Yet another reason why Linux is better...
Kallen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:18 AM   #4
old-wiz
macrumors 604

You can't see the folders under OSx unless you jailbreak.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 02:07 PM   #5
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen View Post
Actually, this is a Windows limitation...I can't speak for OSX. I rnu Mint Linux, and when I plug in a non-jailbroken iDevice, I have full access to the program folders, including Apple apps likes iBooks. I can also copy/paste files just like a thumbdrive. Here's an example: I use the app called Checkbook. It saves your registry (as in checkbook leger) as a .sql file. I use this app primarily on my iPod, but do have the app also on my iPad. I can navigate to the folder and copy that .sql freely between my devices.

That being said, I did discover a limitation. The file HAS to be copied directly from one device to the other (so both iDevices are plugged in at the same time)... My initial attempt to do this, I had copied the .sql file from the ipod to my HD, then plugged in the ipad and copied it over. This caused the app to crash when it tried to access the file. Apparently, copying to the HD changes some permissions or something. But if copied directly from device to device, works just fine.

Now, when I plug my iDevices into Windows 7, it can not see anything except photos. Yet another reason why Linux is better...
You can do the same with the program "iExplorer" on Mac/Windows.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Kallen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
You can do the same with the program "iExplorer" on Mac/Windows.
I forgot about iExplorer....the Linux file browser has this capability without needing another program...
Kallen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch