Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellow-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Is it possible to find the ipod touch (5th gen) folder?

It shows up on itunes just fine. I read that the iPod touch and iPhone don't appear on the desktop since they are not recognized as a flash drive on the Mac, or something along those lines.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
they are not flash drives anyway and will not function as flash drives.

They do not show up since Apple hides the folder structure to prevent people from messing around with the files. That's why people jailbreak - to get into the system.

Kallen

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2013
they are not flash drives anyway and will not function as flash drives.

They do not show up since Apple hides the folder structure to prevent people from messing around with the files. That's why people jailbreak - to get into the system.

Actually, this is a Windows limitation...I can't speak for OSX. I rnu Mint Linux, and when I plug in a non-jailbroken iDevice, I have full access to the program folders, including Apple apps likes iBooks. I can also copy/paste files just like a thumbdrive. Here's an example: I use the app called Checkbook. It saves your registry (as in checkbook leger) as a .sql file. I use this app primarily on my iPod, but do have the app also on my iPad. I can navigate to the folder and copy that .sql freely between my devices.

That being said, I did discover a limitation. The file HAS to be copied directly from one device to the other (so both iDevices are plugged in at the same time)... My initial attempt to do this, I had copied the .sql file from the ipod to my HD, then plugged in the ipad and copied it over. This caused the app to crash when it tried to access the file. Apparently, copying to the HD changes some permissions or something. But if copied directly from device to device, works just fine.

Now, when I plug my iDevices into Windows 7, it can not see anything except photos. Yet another reason why Linux is better...:)

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Actually, this is a Windows limitation...I can't speak for OSX. I rnu Mint Linux, and when I plug in a non-jailbroken iDevice, I have full access to the program folders, including Apple apps likes iBooks. I can also copy/paste files just like a thumbdrive. Here's an example: I use the app called Checkbook. It saves your registry (as in checkbook leger) as a .sql file. I use this app primarily on my iPod, but do have the app also on my iPad. I can navigate to the folder and copy that .sql freely between my devices.

That being said, I did discover a limitation. The file HAS to be copied directly from one device to the other (so both iDevices are plugged in at the same time)... My initial attempt to do this, I had copied the .sql file from the ipod to my HD, then plugged in the ipad and copied it over. This caused the app to crash when it tried to access the file. Apparently, copying to the HD changes some permissions or something. But if copied directly from device to device, works just fine.

Now, when I plug my iDevices into Windows 7, it can not see anything except photos. Yet another reason why Linux is better...:)

You can do the same with the program "iExplorer" on Mac/Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.