Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:03 PM   #1
mplayers2005
macrumors newbie

Just bought a lost or stolen iPhone

Some guy just sold me a lost or stolen iPhone, just found out when I got my micro sim earlier today and tried to make a call. The iPhone is also factory unlocked , my question is can my friend use my iPhone on t-mobile network ?
mplayers2005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Iphull
macrumors member

Have you considered taking it to Verizon or Sprint? They could tell by the numbers on the phone who it belongs to. Sorry, but just because you paid for it doesn't mean it belongs to you. Someone stole my phone once and sold it for $10. So excuse me if I sound like I'm on a high horse. I'm only putting myself in the shoes of the true owner. Must suck for them right now.
Iphull is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:28 PM   #3
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphull View Post
Have you considered taking it to Verizon or Sprint? They could tell by the numbers on the phone who it belongs to. Sorry, but just because you paid for it doesn't mean it belongs to you. Someone stole my phone once and sold it for $10. So excuse me if I sound like I'm on a high horse. I'm only putting myself in the shoes of the true owner. Must suck for them right now.
The OP is just as much a victim, though... It’s a difficult situation, because if the OP keeps it then the owner loses out on a phone they paid for, whereas if the owner gets it back the OP loses out on a phone he paid for too. Tricky.

Depends on how much the OP got the phone for, too... If it was 30 bucks, then the answer is simple. But if it was $500? Not so simple.
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Iphull
macrumors member

Wanna know how I knew it was sold for $10? Because I called my number and a girl answered. I heard someone say "don't answer" and hung up. I kept calling until she answered. I gave her $20 to get it back. :-)

But as a rule, if someone is selling a valuable item for dirt cheap, there's usually a reason.

----------

To answer your question, it won't work if its a Verizon or Sprint iPhone.
Iphull is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:59 PM   #5
mplayers2005
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Wanna know how I knew it was sold for $10? Because I called my number and a girl answered. I heard someone say "don't answer" and hung up. I kept calling until she answered. I gave her $20 to get it back. :-)

But as a rule, if someone is selling a valuable item for dirt cheap, there's usually a reason.

----------

To answer your question, it won't work if its a Verizon or Sprint iPhone.
It's an AT&T iPhone that is factory unlocked, from what I know I did buy it from the owners the thing was like brand new... Now I no longer have there contact or anything.. So your saying it will work on t mobile ???
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:00 AM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

All you gotta do is stick a tmobile sim in and you will find out.
If its unlocked offcourse it will work.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:08 AM   #7
Stu2510
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplayers2005 View Post
It's an AT&T iPhone that is factory unlocked, from what I know I did buy it from the owners the thing was like brand new... Now I no longer have there contact or anything.. So your saying it will work on t mobile ???
What did you do, buy the phone then immediately delete any record of buying it? Come on, do the right thing and hand it in...
Stu2510 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:08 AM   #8
617aircav
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Some guy just sold me a lost or stolen iPhone, just found out when I got my micro sim earlier today and tried to make a call. The iPhone is also factory unlocked , my question is can my friend use my iPhone on t-mobile network ?
How did you find out it was stolen?
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:50 AM   #9
joonyaboy
macrumors regular

Between you and the original owner, you guys may be able to identify/catch the thief.

If not, people will assume you stole it or were in on it
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:30 AM   #10
960design
macrumors 6502a

I just try to follow these ten little rules. I think your case is listed specifically.

#7 You shall not steal.

Each State has their own feelings about this:
Receiving stolen property and possession of stolen property are treated as separate offenses in some jurisdictions. The distinguishing element is when the person knew that the property was stolen. If the person knew that the property was stolen at the time he received it, the crime is receiving stolen property. If the person did not know the property was stolen at the time she received it but found out after receiving possession, the crime is possession of stolen property.

Good luck and happy karma.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

all seems fishy, as he knows it is stolen, everyone is giving the OP advice and he continues to ask to see if it will work on T-Mobile if he gives it to a friend?

If it was stolen, I would contact the person you bought it from and find out where they got it, if they say they bought it new, ask for a receipt or proof, or you can report them to the police. As for the phone? I would contact the carrier they might be able to track down the original purchaser then you can work with them to get your money back, I would not just hand the phone to anyone after you paid for it, would not be fair to you to do the right thing and be out all sorts of money, however that being said, just still seems like a fishy deal.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:32 AM   #12
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

That's the dirty side of unlocking phones with a third party who sell "factory" unlocks. I think its fine to unlock a phone that you own, but I've noticed that most sellers advertising unlocks point out that they can unlock stolen and lost iPhones as well. A seller can't really avoid a thief using their service to unlock a stolen iPhone, but they don't have to advertise the fact either.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:32 AM   #13
mplayers2005
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu2510 View Post
What did you do, buy the phone then immediately delete any record of buying it? Come on, do the right thing and hand it in...
Hand it into who??the cops have no record of it, AT&T will not give out anyones info and want to have nothing to do with the iPhone. The gay guys I bought it from we're moving and sold me the iPhone they looked like te og owner. The must I'm thinking what's going on is insurance fraud, they lied to apple care that it was lost or stolen just read an online article bout this crap
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:43 PM   #14
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Hand it into who??the cops have no record of it, AT&T will not give out anyones info and want to have nothing to do with the iPhone. The gay guys I bought it from we're moving and sold me the iPhone they looked like te og owner. The must I'm thinking what's going on is insurance fraud, they lied to apple care that it was lost or stolen just read an online article bout this crap
How exactly does being gay & moving tie into to them "looking" like the original owner? Just curious how you put that all together.
sulpfiction is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:14 PM   #15
Appl3FTW
macrumors 68030

Quote:
hand it into who??the cops have no record of it, at&t will not give out anyones info and want to have nothing to do with the iphone. The gay guys i bought it from we're moving and sold me the iphone they looked like te og owner. The must i'm thinking what's going on is insurance fraud, they lied to apple care that it was lost or stolen just read an online article bout this crap
lulz!!!
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:27 PM   #16
LostMyiPhone
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Good luck with that... I made the mistake of suggesting that in a similar thread on here and got everything but death threats.

For the record, my wife had just lost her iPhone 4s (pretty sure it was stolen as it had been turned off within 15 minutes of me talking to her). Someone posted on here about how they just bought a lost/stolen phone and I suggested they take it to Vzw or wherever to help get it back to the original owner... oh man... that was not received well.

Which is odd... I don't think it's a "tough call" or "tough position" to be in at all. It's "BUYER BEWARE"... in this scenario, it's the BUYER of the LOST/STOLEN property that would (and should in my opinion) lose out. Sorry, that's just how it is. the person who rightfully paid for and owned the phone should not lose out. The person who bought a used iPhone from wherever should have done due dilligence and met at a corporate store to ensure the phone was not lost/stolen. If they bought from eBay or from a seller that was not local, well, sorry... that's not the fault of the original and rightful owner... should not have bought from a remote seller.

while it may not be applicable in this situation, it's worth mentioning that if the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Call it a "high horse" or a "holier than thou" attitude but that's how I feel about it. You bet if I ever find an iPhone I will do everything that I can to find the original owner (even after being burned ourselves) because that's what's right to do. I will not be buying a used one from anywhere and if I did, it would be from a local seller and I would meet at a carrier corporate store to have it activated before any money exchanged hands.

----------

Quote:
I'm thinking what's going on is insurance fraud, they lied to apple care that it was lost or stolen just read an online article bout this crap
AppleCare does not cover lost/stolen iPhones. Re-read that article.
LostMyiPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:42 PM   #17
mplayers2005
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
How exactly does being gay & moving tie into to them "looking" like the original owner? Just curious how you put that all together.
They were telling me they just got it a month ago and are looking to sell it to make some extra money on their free upgrade. They had the box they had the charge, the outlet pieces and booklets, they had the whole shabang. The imei match the one on the back of the box as well, they even seemed sad to sell it.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:25 PM   #18
sviato
macrumors 68020

Quote:
They were telling me they just got it a month ago and are looking to sell it to make some extra money on their free upgrade. They had the box they had the charge, the outlet pieces and booklets, they had the whole shabang. The imei match the one on the back of the box as well, they even seemed sad to sell it.
So why do you think it's stolen?

People in this thread are talking like every phone transaction should have managers, lawyers, and authorities to check, double-check, triple-check that maybe the phone was lost or stolen and there's some kind of chance we can find the original owner and be a hero! Otherwise, screw the buyer who dropped $300-500, he should incur that lost because it's clearly his fault that he got a stolen phone and all will be well if he returns it (he's only out some money, but who needs money right!). You people are ridiculous
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:38 PM   #19
Supraking
macrumors member

Quote:
yeah it would be a good idea to return a phone to the original owner if you pay $300 so god doesn't send you to hell.
op, yes it will work with t-mobile. At&t and T-Mobile have a different database of stolen phones and is not shared.
Supraking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:41 PM   #20
617aircav
macrumors 68030

I'm sorry but if I bought a stolen phone I'm not returning it. As long as I was diligent in my purchase, I'm keeping it. I can't afford to incur the loss. The original owner should have been more careful. I'm not covering his loss.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:30 PM   #21
Iphull
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraking View Post
yeah it would be a good idea to return a phone to the original owner if you pay $300 so god doesn't send you to hell.
Who said anything about God sending anyone to hell? I've been in the position of the original owner. Yes, I laid it down and forgot to pick it back up. We are human and at times become forgetful. So it's ok to pounce on the golden opportunity every time someone forgets? This is why I speak out for the true owner. I know there are so many people who stand around like vultures, waiting for someone to screw up, then grab the spoils before they are noticed they are missing. I'm thankful there are still people like the person who returned my bank card to customer service when I dropped it.

Good thing nobody knows my name. People will follow me around with a catcher's mitt. LOL

Quote:
Some guy just sold me a lost or stolen iPhone, just found out when I got my micro sim earlier today and tried to make a call. The iPhone is also factory unlocked , my question is can my friend use my iPhone on t-mobile network ?....

....They were telling me they just got it a month ago and are looking to sell it to make some extra money on their free upgrade. They had the box they had the charge, the outlet pieces and booklets, they had the whole shabang. The imei match the one on the back of the box as well, they even seemed sad to sell it.
??? :-)
Iphull is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:52 PM   #22
Supraking
macrumors member

Quote:
Who said anything about God sending anyone to hell? I've been in the position of the original owner. Yes, I laid it down and forgot to pick it back up. We are human and at times become forgetful. So it's ok to pounce on the golden opportunity every time someone forgets? This is why I speak out for the true owner. I know there are so many people who stand around like vultures, waiting for someone to screw up, then grab the spoils before they are noticed they are missing. I'm thankful there are still people like the person who returned my bank card to customer service when I dropped it.

Good thing nobody knows my name. People will follow me around with a catcher's mitt. LOL

??? :-)
I understand what you're saying, this would be acceptable and even something everybody should; if you find something try your best to return it to the owner. But in this case, the op didn't find the phone took it. Someone else sold him the stolen phone (as an example if op lying). This is not a $10 toy, is something that costs $200+. So i don't think the victim (the person who bough it) should be the only person who looses. if he return it, the thief keeps his money, the person who losted get his phone back, and the vicitim looses his money.
Supraking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:04 AM   #23
ipad246
macrumors newbie

How many gigs is this iphone? Did you buy it from craigslist?
ipad246 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:16 PM   #24
617aircav
macrumors 68030

Me thinks the OP is the actual thief. His story does not make sense.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:19 PM   #25
abz1981
macrumors 65816

Hell is not going to be a nice place.
abz1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone