Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpgolfpro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
First time jailbreaker here with above ave computer knowledge/skills. I have minimal experience with coding.

Looking through the "Post your jailbroken home screens" thread makes me envious of a lot of the themes people have.

Im wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to a starting point on learning how to modify everything and create/modify themes. I see a lot of people just using springtomize 2 but Im assuming that most of the more "polished" themes people have, are put together using iFile.

Up to this point, all I have done is download a few tweaks.

I would just dive right into iFile but Im worried I will delete/modify things I shouldn't and my phone will be screwed. Maybe someone can provide some info on what one would do in this scenario. Im assuming you would have to restore back to a previous backup in iTunes and then rejailbreak your phone?

Basically Im just looking for some info on how to learn more about everything. Thanks for the help!

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
First time jailbreaker here with above ave computer knowledge/skills. I have minimal experience with coding.

Looking through the "Post your jailbroken home screens" thread makes me envious of a lot of the themes people have.

Im wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to a starting point on learning how to modify everything and create/modify themes. I see a lot of people just using springtomize 2 but Im assuming that most of the more "polished" themes people have, are put together using iFile.

Up to this point, all I have done is download a few tweaks.

I would just dive right into iFile but Im worried I will delete/modify things I shouldn't and my phone will be screwed. Maybe someone can provide some info on what one would do in this scenario. Im assuming you would have to restore back to a previous backup in iTunes and then rejailbreak your phone?

Basically Im just looking for some info on how to learn more about everything. Thanks for the help!

Springtomize 2 is an awesome tweak that allows you to play around with the looks of the iPhone. Some people are reporting a few isolated computability issues at the moment.

Ref ifile.

Beware what you do here.

Do a bit of homework on what you can do with this tweak as you can cause issues if you change some code incorrectly. I use ifile mainly to change the weather location in a theme i download.

If you fall out with your jail-break then simply hook your iphone up to itunes and ht restore.

If a tweak or theme causes issues then they can be deleted easily.

Download winter board.

For themes i use theme it and ithemesky.

All you do is google for their repo's and add them to your cydia sources. After you open them and their apps will download onto your home screen of your iPhone. You can then simply browse thro the available ones and choose one thats been optimised for your make of iphone and iOS. Some are free and some are paid for.

After youve downloaded your choice of theme you then go into winter board and choose the theme you want.

Respring and ut should have changed from stock to theme.

This is where ifile comes into play if you need to change the weather location.

I seek out my yahooo weather code and change it.

Lots of utube tutorials on how to do this.

Your going to be amazed on what your iphone can do but a word of caution.

Dont go downloading every tweak you see and loads of themes as this can cause lag or compatibility issues with other tweaks you have.

Doing a little homework is the key here.

Enjoy.

mpgolfpro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
So there isn't like a guide or how to anywhere? How did everyone learn to make these tweaks to themes? Surely there's got to be something that lays out how to do stuff.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Not sure of a guide it'd be nice though. I always make sure to NEVER overwrite anything until you are sure! I always just change the name by putting an "x" at end then pasting the change. I also always create a bookmark with iFile so I can easily find where I was lol... Winterboard is a lot easier to handle while modding. You can just make a copy of the original theme then monkey with the copy to your liking.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
So there isn't like a guide or how to anywhere? How did everyone learn to make these tweaks to themes? Surely there's got to be something that lays out how to do stuff.

As I've said their are lots of tutorials on utube and generally on the net via google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.