Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

de-crust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Dublin
Hey,
I am using a logitech kbd with the mini. When first the OS starts after a clean install, there is a page that needs the user to press a key to initialise correct assignment of kbd key values depending on location.

For me it was the key to the immediate right of the 'shift' key on the kbd's left side.

It had the ''ISO value'' and as such, European values or supposed assignments/characters.

The key assignment of the ' @ ' stroke is associated with the number '2' key even after having done the proper kbd initialising process.

I need to have the number two key assignment to be this key '' not the @ sign[US kbd assignment].
Regional keyboard settings-I have changed these to my country[Ireland and/or the UK] but the key values remain the same even after reassociating the values to the correct country.

I don't know how to sort this.

Been to the apple support site but never really found a solution. An answer offered by someone in there was to 'map' the required keys with required values. I couldn't make mapping work.

Anyone know how to change these values so that:

...the ' @ ' key is moved from the default position [on the number 2 key],
to the key [using the US layout assignment----just above [the right side] shift button-on same level, 2 keys to the left of the enter key? ok?
I need to have the @ character attached to this key.

thnx.

de-crust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Dublin
I want to reverse the character value [on a pc kbd] associated with 2 keys.

the keys are the @ and the ''

changing the kbd regional/country settings in 10.4 doesn't work. the character values are still US kbd.

How do I make these value changes?

...someone, please.

Last edited:

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Mac keyboards have this layout regardless of region, hence regional settings aren't helping you here.

This is not the only key which is "out of place" - personally I would recommend just living with it.

EDIT: Here's a UK Mac keyboard:

2CW1O2e.jpg

de-crust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Dublin
google!!! well?

...found a similar program as posted by other contributor.

''keyboard pilot''. shareware but 12$, not so bad I guess, instead of a waste of 12$, which'ld be easy enough to do.

others-

http://www.applevis.com/guides/acce...ur-macs-keyboard-enhance-voiceover-experience

similar-

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060825072451882

http://samuelhwong.com/blog/2011/08/29/remapping-keyboard-and-mouse-in-mac-os-x-lion/

Get down and dirty some time, dude. It's not all that bad, if ya don't already known this. usually, there is a solution. :)

''living with it'' naah! that's rubbish. and, it doesn't get the things done.

you've been hangin' out with macs for way too long. :(

chk out opposing counsel, if ya haven't already done so. interesting bunch..and the shoes, hah! :)

edit: opposing council and mac have their hands locked in embrace under the table.

I have these ''things'' living here, opposing and macs...
am at peace with them both usually.
But war erupts sometimes and is usually brought on, by the inexplicably poor and pathetic example of a computer, the mac.

not purgery this, ya know.

oh, apologies a toi, if I am interpreted as being rude...not my intention.
thank you for the effort.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.