Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loadeddreams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
So I had been using a pair of skullcandy earbuds to work out and noticed the left side was loud and sounded terrible, like it was distorted, and the right side was barely making any noise. I then turned the volume all the way up and both earbuds sound fine. Left isn't distorted at around 90% volume (which is pretty loud) and the right side is just as loud. Anything less than that and the left side is distorted and the right side is about half as loud.

I figured it was the buds themselves so I went and purchased another pair to see the same thing happening.

Just to be safe I hooked them up to my wife's iPhone and they work like they should.

I've checked the accessibility options to make sure I don't have my balance messed up, and restarted my phone countless times to no luck.

I also went through my cydia tweaks to make sure nothing stood out, and haven't found anything there either.

This is an iPhone 4 running jailbroken iOS 6.0.1

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Sounds like the headphone jack is the problem. If you're fortunate it's just a little dirty and needs to be cleaned out. Sometimes lint gets stuck in the bottom of the jack by the action of the headphones plugging in. Use a wooden toothpick to gently loosen any lint, etc and then blow it out with some compressed air. Worse case scenario is your jack is worn out and needs to be replaced.

Last edited:

loadeddreams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
So, I took my phone to an iPhone repair shop, they replaced the headphone jack. That didn't do anything at all so I got home and upgraded my software to iOS6.1 and still having the same issue. I guess it's an issue on the motherboard itself somehow. It's the only explanation I have left since I've replaced the headphone jack, tried multiple headsets, and have now upgraded my operating system and still have the same issue.. Guess I'll be heading to AT&T today to get a new phone. Fortunately I'm eligible for an upgrade.

Thanks for the help.

J-Mac618

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
That sucks. Please post back and let us know if that issue creeps up in your new phone. Would like to know if it was an isolated incident or if other phones have this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.