Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:12 AM   #26
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingerofbirch View Post
Video chatting has been given every opportunity to take off. People in my social group, at least, don't use it. It's been around for a long, long time, relative to the time other technologies have been available that have really taken off.
I agree. And the exact same things could be said of the Mac platform:

The Mac has been given every opportunity to take off. People in my social group, at least, don't use it. It's been around for a long, long time, relative to the time other technologies have been available that have really taken off.

When you put an unwanted function on an unpopular platform, the chances of success seem slim to me.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:13 AM   #27
wovel
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
[url=http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/07/rabbit-a-video-sharing-and-chat-service-launching-on-the-mac-only/]

The most compelling feature of the app can be distilled down to this: group video conferencing with the ability to screencast music, movies and applications from your Mac.

This means you can watch a movie from a service such as Netflix with your friends in real time. Or you can crop and share a specific part of your web browser or any other Mac app and broadcast it to your friends.
Am I the only one excited to see Google+ hangouts redone with out all that pesky functionality and a very "unique" design....

BTW, rebroadcasting most Netflix content is probably a federal crime in the US. They might want want to leave that out of their more obvious paid ads.

Last edited by wovel; Feb 7, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
wovel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:19 AM   #28
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovel View Post
Am I the only one excited to see Google+ hangouts redone with out all that pesky functionality and a very "unique" design....
I'm sure you aren't the only one excited about this terrible design
uknowimright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:21 AM   #29
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chastepe View Post
How much money did you (MacRumors) get to promote this?
Exactly my thoughts. Not appropriate for the front page.
zhenya is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:25 AM   #30
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Not sure so much naysaying is warranted.

thisisdallas gave a good case for the intended audience. For our video-driven culture, this makes it easy to watch stuff together when people can't physically be together. I find this an amusing & fitting contrast to my long-held observation about movie theaters: a place where lots of people, mostly strangers, get together so they can completely ignore each other while watching the same thing. At least with this you're compelled to look at the other participants instead of flat-out ignore them.

Teen entertainment aside, there's still two problems with video chat: it's made for two people sitting about 2 feet from a camera. In our office, video conferencing via FaceTime has been helpful, but remains limited by an inability to EASILY conference more than two devices together, and that most of our participants are 10-20 feet from the camera just so we can fit a mere 3-5 people into the field of view, rendering individual faces miniscule.

What I see Rabbit doing is:
- trivializing multi-participant conferencing
- auto-centering faces.

A videophone tool capable of tracking faces, cropping them out of the irrelevant background, and arranging them in a maximized form, along with easy increase in participant devices (rather than having to pay extra, etc.) could prove popular. Maybe not a runaway hit, but have a good solid niche.

Rabbit may not be the optimal implementation, but it's heading in the right direction.
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:30 AM   #31
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Hi MR,

Thanks for posting this ad as an article.

Could you please post an ad for Battery Status?

Edit: Heck, it doesn't have to even be a front page ad for it. You could just post a review of it in the Mac Blog... which is honestly where this "article" you posted belongs.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:37 AM   #32
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Not a fan of the UI, but if the movie viewing works, then I will definitely use this. But not until it becomes multiplatform.

Skype seems to be getting worse all the time. It needs some competition.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:41 AM   #33
shoulin333
macrumors 6502a

So two thousand and late.
shoulin333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:42 AM   #34
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovel View Post
rebroadcasting most Netflix content is probably a federal crime in the US.
1. I wondered about that too, but figured they wouldn't be so brazen to have actually written this software if they didn't have a good legal way around it, like either, screen-sharing being a loophole, or merely setting something up with Netflix for synchronized start between paid accounts.

2. Actually, this whole thing is something Netflix should already be doing.

3. Quoting the entire full page original post in your three sentence reply should be a federal crime too. It chews up the readability of the thread for everyone else.
ThunderSkunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:43 AM   #35
powaking
macrumors 6502

I can see this being useful in a corporate setting.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:51 AM   #36
iOrbit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by adder7712 View Post
Redundant in my eyes.

You already have a lot of more mature services like Facetime, Skype etc. on OS X.
dog pile.

Skype drops so often nowadays. its screen sharing feature plummeted on mac since you can't share a specific window, but instead only the entire screen.

i used to screencast often, to watch films and share music.

viber is more reliable than skype on the iPad/Pod/Mac.

i am excited for this software, even if it is initially buggy, its clear the makers are passionate about these features that are lacking in skype.

clearly the objective of the app is about sharing - sharing music, tv, film, or any content on our computers. and its intention is clearly to do this better than skype's offering.

skype is a lazy effort, and since microsoft took over, its not been getting better.

facetime is irrelevant. for the same reasons as skype, its just BASIC. its another 'BASIC' essential by apple, much like iChat and iMessage. Messages doesn't even work well on the Mac at the moment, and Apple don't seem that interested in getting us users being able to talk to most or all users from all kinds of IM services, like Skype/MSN.

apple don't care about the same things that Rabbit seem to care about. i may be part of a minority, but that minority certainly will show that this effort and app called Rabbit isn't as redundant as you feel.

perhaps speak for yourself more often - its redundant to you because perhaps you have no interest in the sharing features.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:59 AM   #37
pmz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingerofbirch View Post
Video chatting has been given every opportunity to take off. People in my social group, at least, don't use it. It's been around for a long, long time, relative to the time other technologies have been available that have really taken off.

I think that the main unsolved problem with video chat is that everyone thought it would be cool to have a virtual presence, but in reality it's uncomfortable. When you sit with people in real life, you don't stare at them. But with video chatting, what other choice do you have but to stare?

Still, I'll try this app out. Video chatting still has a little bit of that Jetsons allure to it after all these years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdallas View Post
Exactly! I think the concept of this app is brilliant, they should just have an option to eliminate cameras, sticking to only using mics and text chatting.
I'm sure thats how ugly people feel about it.

The rest of world seems OK with it, especially in the business arena.

This product is just another niched hangout.
pmz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:01 AM   #38
OddyOh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I'm pretty sure the sharing of movies from Netflix isn't going to fly - if that is indeed one of the functions. Cease and desist in 3..2...1...
This. My first thought was NHL Gamecenter Live, with the same outcome.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:06 AM   #39
TimmyDee
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chastepe View Post
How much money did you (MacRumors) get to promote this?
Seconded. This made my stomach churn.
TimmyDee is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:07 AM   #40
wovel
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
1. I wondered about that too, but figured they wouldn't be so brazen to have actually written this software if they didn't have a good legal way around it, like either, screen-sharing being a loophole, or merely setting something up with Netflix for synchronized start between paid accounts.

3. Quoting the entire full page original post in your three sentence reply should be a federal crime too. It chews up the readability of the thread for everyone else.
1. People write a lot of programs without doing basic research. We should know pretty quick since they have the Hulu logo in all the screenshots on their site.

2. I agree, but I doubt their content deals would ever allow them too.

3. Thanks, I hadn't noticed I did that.
wovel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:11 AM   #41
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
I'm pretty sure the sharing of movies from Netflix isn't going to fly - if that is indeed one of the functions. Cease and desist in 3..2...1...
No doubt. I can't believe it's this far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdallas View Post
Exactly! I think the concept of this app is brilliant, they should just have an option to eliminate cameras, sticking to only using mics and text chatting.
So...a phone?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:14 AM   #42
Twenty5
macrumors regular

Please get skype off my macs..

Any decent competitor to Skype is welcome imo.

I just can't believe the monopoly Skype currently has. Not to mention that after Flash, Skype is the next application that crashes the most in all my macs.

/rant over
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:16 AM   #43
Squilly
macrumors 68020

I thought there was already something like this called FaceTime...
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:17 AM   #44
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSkunk View Post
They won't even let paid subscribers watch on more than 2 devices, sometimes only one. I don't see how they are going to let you share your subscription. I'm not really sure why they "should already be doing" this. The content providers would drop them in a minute, then you'd be sharing nothing but the Netflix original programming. What, 2 shows?

I'd love to pay less and get more (and without ads, thank you), but that's just not going to happen in this world.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:35 AM   #45
HVDynamo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
They won't even let paid subscribers watch on more than 2 devices, sometimes only one. I don't see how they are going to let you share your subscription. I'm not really sure why they "should already be doing" this. The content providers would drop them in a minute, then you'd be sharing nothing but the Netflix original programming. What, 2 shows?

I'd love to pay less and get more (and without ads, thank you), but that's just not going to happen in this world.
It's not meant for people to watch on the same account... You have friends, with their own netflix accounts connected to this new app. The app just synchronizes when the video's start. Netflix should be doing this already, in fact you used to be able to on the Xbox but for some reason they got rid of that feature and made the UI worse at the same time.
HVDynamo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:35 AM   #46
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Those didn't look like teens to me, maybe twenty something's. Or maybe the woman with the wine glass is just hanging out with some young friends.
mrgraff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:37 AM   #47
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVDynamo View Post
It's not meant for people to watch on the same account... You have friends, with their own netflix accounts connected to this new app. The app just synchronizes when the video's start. Netflix should be doing this already, in fact you used to be able to on the Xbox but for some reason they got rid of that feature and made the UI worse at the same time.
Ok, I haven't tried it. But the article does indicate that you can share whatever you have running. That's the part we are talking about.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:39 AM   #48
Dokk
macrumors regular

I kind of like the idea. I'm not a teenager (a professional in my 30s, actually). And a the moment, I live apart from my fiancÚ. One of the things we do every knight is sit down to watch TV together via Hulu or Netflix. The biggest pain in the but is making sure that we stay in sync with one another (especially with Hulu commercials) and so there's a lot of pausing, restarting, rewinding, etc. It seems like this app could be one way to deal more effectively with our situation; so I've signed up for the beta, asked her to as well, and we'll see how it works. If the image quality sucks or there are other big hiccups, then we'll go back to FaceTime and hitting the pause button.

All apps aren't good for everyone, but some apps are great for the folks who have a use for them.
Dokk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:45 AM   #49
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
So they are making an app in a category nobody cares about for a platform that pretty much nobody uses.

I predict runaway success. Not.
Pardon? Get over yourself, please?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealTVGuy View Post
Wow, all of a sudden it sounds like a bunch of old, close-minded Windows users took over Macrumors...
10 Chars!!!!
HenryDJP is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:45 AM   #50
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Their promo video is clearly aimed at the teen audience
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
Well I am not a teenager so I will give this one a miss
Those aren't teens in that video... They're all at least in their 20's. That one woman was drinking wine!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion